Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
anyone know how i can do it i want it to be smooth(no letters in rear bumper) i thought of bondo but dont know if it would hold or not? i saw a bumper repair liquid at o'reillys or maybe some fiberglass resin? but i dont know if this would work for what i am doing.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
When I got my old bumper for the sixxer I got one off of ebay with no letters really cheap. Idk if thats what you wanna do or not.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would buy one but i have a little boy on the way so spending that kind of money for that little of a change is kinda out of the question.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Ahh good decision, why do you want the bumper inserts gone?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i saw one that was clean and it just really caught my eye so i really want it like that on mine just looks so nice.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
anyone have an idea at all??

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
My concern would be the bondo cracking and popping out. After all, you need to use flex additive when you paint bumpers to keep it from cracking, I can only imagine how bad that thick bondo would be.

You'll need to find something fairly firm but pliable, akin to the plastic of the bumper. Out of all the body work I've done, this is one of the things I haven't tried.

·
Registered
470 Posts
interesting idea i dont think ive ever seen a clean bumper like you mention. Seen alot of v6's with a gt bumper or a cobra bumper which ticks me off but why dont you just get some bumper inserts from A.M ? I got the stainless steel ones it goes sooooo nice with my chrome rims and grill. Really makes that ass worth staring at lol

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i just really want it to be smooth i just think it looks really nice.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
I think it may be ABCExclusive that has a shaved 03/04 Cobra rear bumper. Not sure if they have one for SN95's.
EDIT: They have one, model SLN 8033 that's kind of close to what you're looking for. $289 though, I wouldn't get it.

And Cobra bumpers on a non-Cobra? Thats atrocious. :shiftyeyes

Personally I'm going to get the stainless inserts for my rear bumper. But that is one of the last things on my build list.

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
go talk to a body shop and see what they would use

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i would buy one that is smooth but i dont have money to spend on stuff that isnt important like that for i have a baby boy due in 3 months :)

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
go talk to a body shop and see what they would use
Good idea. Though you might have to look around. I worked at one and I never saw them do anything of the sort. Usually if there was a big enough hole in a bumper that it needed to be filled or patched, it got tossed. Plastic is much more of a pain to work with than metal.

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
I wonder if something like caulking would work. It is flexible. just fill the hole and sand down even with the rest. Although IDK how well that would work with the bumper being so flexible and the paint sitting on top. Could fiber glass over but it woul have to be a really good repair so it would be noticed and then, cracking again.

What about heating up some plastic (melt something rubber or plastic, pour into each letter?) That could turn out pretty cool if worked right.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I think it may be ABCExclusive that has a shaved 03/04 Cobra rear bumper. Not sure if they have one for SN95's.
EDIT: They have one, model SLN 8033 that's kind of close to what you're looking for. $289 though, I wouldn't get it.

And Cobra bumpers on a non-Cobra? Thats atrocious. :shiftyeyes

Personally I'm going to get the stainless inserts for my rear bumper. But that is one of the last things on my build list.
Last on your list? ahh guess im a sucker for eye candy lol specially shiny things hell even my cold air intake is chrome lol

I wonder if something like caulking would work. It is flexible. just fill the hole and sand down even with the rest. Although IDK how well that would work with the bumper being so flexible and the paint sitting on top. Could fiber glass over but it woul have to be a really good repair so it would be noticed and then, cracking again.

I worked for residential/commercial painting companys for 4 years on and off and you know the caulking idea sounds like it might just work, hard part would be getting it to be perfectly flush with the bumper tho. Might take 2-3 application and drying proccesses. Although if the bumper does flex alot from summer/winter temps the caulking could crack like everything else mentioned :eek:

What about heating up some plastic (melt something rubber or plastic, pour into each letter?) That could turn out pretty cool if worked right.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Last on your list? ahh guess im a sucker for eye candy lol specially shiny things hell even my cold air intake is chrome lol
Yeah the aesthetic factor is the absolute last on my list right now. That stuff is easy. I'll sweat it when I get the entire new fuel system and drivetrain put in and running well you know. Fast > good looking.

And the more I think about it, the more I realize your options are going to be extremely difficult. You could cut the letters out and then plastic weld them flush, but that will be very difficult, and you'll need a plastic welder or something to suffice. Either that or melting the plastic and pouring it might work. You just have to make sure that it is the exact same plastic that the bumper is, and that you don't scorch the plastic in the process. Either way it would be one hell of a challenge.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts