Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, was filling up and noticed a puddle after. Looked under and it was leaking gas from the tube, at or somewhere higher from where it meets the tank.
Drove for 30min to where I had to be and the leak stopped.

Anyone replace or fix this issue themselves?

Shop quoted me $500 and that seems stupidly high for a leak....Please tell me I can fix this myself for far less?

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
No way that costs 500 to fix, but shops love to charge a lot. What year is the car? Check Late Model Resto or American Muscle for the gasket(s) for your year. do the work yourself and you wont get close to $200 IMO.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the staining is from the top, like in pic, doesn't that mean the whole filler pipe set needs to be replaced, not just the grommet?

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Thats definitely not the filler neck grommet, you would know if it was every time you made a turn. It looks like something else to me. I cant see the filler neck leaking unless its really rusty. Get under there and check where the leak is coming from for sure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From the second pic I took that day, kinda looks like the leak is up top.
Can anything be used to patch a hole up high like that or the whole thing needs to be replaced?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I mean you could use something like jb weld but thats sloppy imo. Id replace it and be done but be warned the tank will need to be dropped. If you need/want to replace the fuel pump or do any cleaning I would suggest doing it at the same time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the tank need to be empty or just near empty?
Is there a how-to for my model? I found one for an older mustang, but it looked a bit too different.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Does the tank need to be empty or just near empty?
Is there a how-to for my model? I found one for an older mustang, but it looked a bit too different.

Thanks.
At least get it below a quarter tank and get ready to still take a gas bath lol. This video is actually for the filler neck grommet but has everything you need to know. The filler neck is only held in place by 3 or so bolts behind the fuel door so Im sure you can figure that out. I would also replace the filler neck grommet, replace the fuel pump (if need be or or you plan on using a power adder in the future) and drain the tank to get all the crap out at the same time.

https://youtu.be/2LCeGCvvcUI

1 - 9 of 9 Posts