Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Still slow.
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally going to the road course/ Frame fabrication and repairs

Whats going on. Been a bit. Thought I'd update.

I've been insanely bored with drag racing after 5 years of it. So time to move onto bigger and better things. My full V2 kit is still up for sale. (2600$USD if theres any interest) Freeing up some more money for bigger mods.

Engine:
Going to run my 2v I built a few years back.
Iron block
PI heads/TFS headbolts/Felpro MLS head gaskets
PI intake
CMS Stage 1 NA cams
Manley -11cc Pistons
MMR I beam rods
Cast crank
Cleviete bearings
ARP Main studs
FRPP 4v oil pump

Driveline:
1999 Tremec T45
Spec Stage 1 clutch
3.73's
Short Throw

I'm going to give some perspective on how expensive it is to build a car up in Canada.

Purchased so far:
BC Racing BR Coilovers - 1700$
Cobra front calipers - 180$
Powerstop Track day pads and rotors - 477$
Russel SS Flex lines - 240$

Still to buy:
Mishimoto rad - 450$
Good wheels and tires - 2000-3000$
FLSC's - ???
Possibly an oil cooler - 400$

I'll show some pictures now:
My car before I ripped it all apart

How it sits right now(Sorry about the messy garage, been busy with easter. Also I know you should never pinch a flex line, but I'm replacing those lines)

New Coilovers:

Heres the interesting part. Discovered some soft spots in the rail. I have to drop the K-member out to weld in new plate.

I will be mig welding double thick plates of steel in the rail to stiffen the frame where the K member joins

The bad(I will warn you this hurts to see):

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Something I want to do soon is some more mods toward handling.

I know my Sub frames and 8 point cage made car feel a lot more stiff and put together.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Oh man, that rust and rot is hard to look at. Half of road course modification is just about making your car safe and reliable. Get that stuff taken care of and you're go to go.

·
Still slow.
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Safety is my biggest priority on this build. I am not cutting any corners. Hopefully just carving them soon lol.

So I bought a new toy. A 240V Lincoln Mig welder. Gas fed, and bought helmet with flames on it too LOL.

I also got my pads in rotors today too.

Finally got cobra calipers too, no idea why the brackets are two different colours but I'm painting the calipers and brackets silver anyways.

Dropped the K member today.

Are you ready to see something nasty? Something that is so painful to see? Check this rust out. And the super shitty patch job. This will all be cut out and fixed the right way. I am getting two pieces of U channel made, the drivers side needs it, the passenger side is fine but I want to stiffen it up regardless.

·
Carving corners
3,327 Posts
Are you seriously filling the forum with spam to advertise your instagram? I've seen it on multiple posts now.
I mainly post on taptalk and didnt realize it was double posting my signature, following that, if you have a problem with my signature PM me dont hijack someones thread, secondly I dont see how advertising my Instagram account with fellow mustang enthusiast as spam, I mainly post in this section and theres all of 15 people who are active. Thirdly no ones forcing you to click the link its just there to make connections, especially considering how dead this forum is these days. And lastly none of the moderators had made a stink about it, so I dont see what the big deal is about.

Sorry OP

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I mainly post on taptalk and didnt realize it was double posting my signature, following that, if you have a problem with my signature PM me dont hijack someones thread, secondly I dont see how advertising my Instagram account with fellow mustang enthusiast as spam, I mainly post in this section and theres all of 15 people who are active. Thirdly no ones forcing you to click the link its just there to make connections, especially considering how dead this forum is these days. And lastly none of the moderators had made a stink about it, so I dont see what the big deal is about.

Sorry OP
I don't have a problem with your signature, you can put whatever you want in it. I have a problem with short and pointless comments followed by an advertisement.

When your instagram plug is longer than your actual comment, that's spam and I've seen just that from you probably 10-15 times.

·
Still slow.
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been crazy busy lately. Working a lot of hours, except today I got off early. So I put some time into my car, and practicing welding. Stripped the k member down. Knocked out the ball joints, bushings and removed the sway bar links. Next step is to paint all of this, and weld into a new piece of frame rail.

Let me tell you control arm bushings blow. Having a torch helps huge, I cut them all out and then used a punch to hammer it out LOL.

·
Still slow.
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fab'd up a new frame rail and cut out the old. Going to weld it in place within the next couple days.

Cut out most of the frame in this picture. I have one spot I have to torch cut still because I can't get to it with a grinder. Nervous but excited. Trying to save the car hahaha.

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

Fab'd up a new frame rail and cut out the old. Going to weld it in place within the next couple days.

Cut out most of the frame in this picture. I have one spot I have to torch cut still because I can't get to it with a grinder. Nervous but excited. Trying to save the car hahaha.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Cool build. Those coilovers look awesome. Not going tubular K member after all this?

·
Still slow.
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool build. Those coilovers look awesome. Not going tubular K member after all this?
Thanks! I'm excited to use them. I'm not going to a tubular K for two reasons, I'm skeptical about them for roadcourse racing and the cost to get one shipped to Canada is quite large.

As a bit of an update, got the frame section tacked in. Needs minor adjustment, as in a 3/16" minor adjustment. Shouldnt take much until its perfect and welded into place. Once the frame section is installed I plan on changing a few brake lines and then rebuild the control arms and install the k member back into place.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Holy smokes, that's a lot of rust. What part of Canada are you in? Is that common?

Also, what can you tell me about your V2 kit? I may be interested.

·
Still slow.
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welded in the main part of the frame. It was quite a large amount of work.

Finished it, filled the rest of the strut tower and painted it. Its solid, much stronger than OEM.

Also painted the k member. Started pressing bushings into the control arms too. Race cars are a lot of work. I've been extremely busy as well too.

Holy smokes, that's a lot of rust. What part of Canada are you in? Is that common?

Also, what can you tell me about your V2 kit? I may be interested.
Very common here unfortunately. I'm an hour south west of Toronto. The v2 kit is still for sale. I'm looking for 2350$ USD +paypal fees and shipping. Here is a breakdown of it.

Vortech V2 headunit. (Was told was recently rebuilt by previous owner, no shaft play)
Headunit bracket for the 3 bolt romeo cover. Comes with hardware (If you have the windsor single bolt, you can get a 3 bolt from a crown vic at the wreckers, much better than the 1 bolt)
Brand new FRPP EV1 42lb injectors (Super rare to find them brand new never used)
SCT BA2400 (Like new)
3.25" and 3.6" pulleys
Brand new Autometer 3301 Boost Gauge (been sitting in my gauge cluster unused for a few months, hose and fittings hasn't been used)
Brand new 4" DIY Power pipe kit
Brand new 3" intercooler piping kit, includes clamps and couplings (also includes a 2.75"-3" adapter for blower)
Stainless braided feed and return lines with new fittings for the oil pan return
Brand new Tial Q 50mm BOV with the proper 2psi spring
Brand new Mishimoto R line 4" core intercooler (Great for maintaining optimal boost without loss)
Belt for 3.6" pulley

·
Still slow.
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Today I painted pretty much everything that needed to be painted. I also installed the rear SS flex lines and pressed in all the front control arm bushings and balljoints. Removed the quad shocks as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looking better for sure!

I have a high mileage engine, so I have to get a couple tests done to make sure it's healthy enough. I'm hoping to find out by Wednesday.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts