Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dude... it has a lil 2"x1" lil computer piece that plugs into my computer. It has chip wrote on it. does that come with the kit new or what? i wouldnt think that that lil "chip" could be specifically tuned so im thinking it is just a standard chip to get the car running. are those able to be tuned to a certain car? i got the instructions on their way in the mail from procharger.

·
Self proclaimed A-hole
3,780 Posts
yes its a basic chip for your car, its junk, you can pretty much throw it away. Go buy a tuner or a sct chip and take it to a dyno tuner before you actually drive the car, You can prob use the chip to get you to the dyno chip but would not recommend making any boost or driving it hard at all. Trust me its not worth it

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
depending on what kind of chip that is, it can be tuned for your setup. if its a diablo chip and they use diablo tuning, it can be used.

and like white99stang said..dont run it hard at all until you get it tuned.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats what i was thinking. the only problem is that a dyno tune is 4 hours away! would that be ok. i wont run it hard or anything. but would it be ok to get me there? whitestang how would that chip work with 42lb injectors, and maf also already bolted on? i am getting the xcal 3 for it but like i said, it would have to go 4 hours worth of a drive to get to the dyno tune.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Self proclaimed A-hole
3,780 Posts
when you bought the kit they should of asked you the computer code, and asked what injectors and stuff you are using. If they didn't ask any of that then the chip might not even work at all. If they did then it should be good enough to get you there. When i bought my kit 5 years ago i told them to leave out the chip so they sent me a fuel pump instead, but i already had a pump lol. I say get everything on and just see what happens, see if you can drive the car around normal with it installed and if you can then drive it to the dyno shop. If there are problems then you can order your tuner from a site, recommend Modularpowerhouse. Tell Tim what you have and he will put a base tune on there that will for sure get you to the dyno

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
he said no it will not work for my car. i just called that number on that website. he said he could email me a tune to put on there that will make it drivable until i got it tuned as long as i tell them my mods to the car. but it was like 300 bucks for that!!!! DANG! is there another way?

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how much would that guy tim charge?

·
Self proclaimed A-hole
3,780 Posts
not much more than the cost of the xcal i would think, but i don't know for sure. I am sure you accounted for all the other things you will need when buying the kit. Or you can contact the dyno you are taking it to and see if they offer the tuners there and see if he can throw a base tune on there to get you by. thats really all i got for ya

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
whoever you buy your xcal from should be able to put a basic tune in it...trick tuners include the tune for free, not sure on modular powerhouse...though i have heard many people talk good things about the tune from tim.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
aight cool. yeah ill call the place in baton rouge and see what he says. but if not ill talk to trick tuners and see what he says. i am getting the xcal 3 from trick tuners tho so i may talk to him.

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
Ive wondered this before, wouldnt it be possible to install the s/c and not connect the s/c to the intake just run ur stock intake while u drove to the dyno and then connect the s/c to the intake. Youll loss a lil power from the drag of the turbo but i dont see any real problems that could occur. What you guys think? I tthought it would be a good way to save on the cost of the install and not have to worry bout blowing anythin up.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
we were just talking about that here at the shop. i was wondering too. i talked to the guy in B.R. that will be tuning the car. he told me to get the SCT BA 2600 maf and that he did not recommend driving the car at all without it being tuned. so what do i do?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
with the 42# injectors no you can not run with out the supercharger...or with a tuned computer...

with that said there is a way to do get it setup safely...just keep the stock belt hooked up (supercharger not hooked up) keep the stock injectors in the car...if the stock intake will fit or cai will fit keep it hooked up...or run the air through the supercharger, dont recommend this, but it will work car will just run a little lean...put the stock tune back in the car, or disconnect the plug in chip.

as for a turbo, i really do not think you can run it with out it all setup....there is no way to keep it from building boost.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
im bout to the point of just putting it on a trailer and pulling it to baton rouge with that gas guzzlin FX4. haha. if its possible to have a tune emailed that would work to drive it 4 hours away then i would do that.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
i've said it over and over again...and many people will say the same thing....as long as the chip is setup for your car an email tune WILL work and you will be able to have fun with it as long as the car is running correctly, you will know right away if you have a problem.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok dont yell:sorry! just playin... i just wrote trick tuners to see if he would email me a tune after i get it all installed and if i tell him all the mods. then i could put it on my xcal 3 and put it on my car and it should be aight. we'll see.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
nah not yelling...just poundin it in a lil :D

just remember you will need your computer code, and all your mods...it will all be in the excel file.

the data logging stuff i was talking about was more for tweaking it in more...there are basic chips out there that will work just fine, but wont give you the full performance...you'll just run a lil rich and they wont adjust the timing too much.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
im bout to get it i believe! im going **** hunting tonight so maybe that will give me a break from all this SC crap.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts