Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the car back on the road last week after rebuilding the tranny and putting in a new clutch, rear main seal, flywheel, and redid some stuff on the top end of the motor.

But i drove it around and broke in the clutch nice and easy and i got about 160 miles on it now. But i noticed for the 1st time at about 80 miles per hour i start getting some vibration, i understand its an older car but i didnt know if you guys could help me at leas narrow down what it might be.

Im going to take it to a tire shop to make sure it everything is balanced and aligned but im hoping its nothing serious. Im guessing its not the driveshaft b/c i would imagine i would feel some vibration before 80 MPH. I dunno if its possibly a baring or something but i would like to find out. Supposedly the motor was rebuild about 25 K ago. But i just want to try to figure out what it may be before i put it away for the year. I wanted to take it to the track but obviously im behind schedule. But i cant imagine if i do get it to the track that it would be safe, and i dont want to be making the problem worse. But if ya have any ideas or advice i would really appreciate and help or direction. thanks guys! - Joe.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it a T-5 or a Tremec?
Its a Tremec T-5z.

I put a new clutch in but i had no other issues with the chatter. And i dont think its the clutch. I used the pins and spline to align the clutch up correctly to the flywheel. but i could be wrong, but it would seem on if that is it b/c theres no other problems until i hit about 80 MPH. So thats why i feel that prob. isnt it. But i have no idea what it is, a baring, i dunno, hoping you guys could help me out and give me some ideas. Thanks guys for the help its greatly appreciated! - joe.

·
Registered
593 Posts
If it was a 3550, TKO500, or 600, I'd say shim it up, but the T5z is the same case.

Did you mark your driveshaft when you dropped it?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it was a 3550, TKO500, or 600, I'd say shim it up, but the T5z is the same case.

Did you mark your driveshaft when you dropped it?
I did but even when i 1st got the car this time last year i got it out once ( car had a lot of issues when i got it ) so when i got it running ok i got it out once and the same thing happened so that why i thought it prob. wouldnt be the driveshaft but i dunno.

But i really appreciate all the help! If ya have any more suggestions please let me know i want to try and figure this thing out.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Im guessing its not the driveshaft b/c i would imagine i would feel some vibration before 80 MPH.
I would keep the driveshaft on your list of possibilities. I have one that is bad. At 70mph, it is barely noticeable on my car with 2.73's but on my other stang with 3.73's, it is terrible. It spins faster on the car with 3.73's at the same speed so it is more noticeable. My point is there are different levels of "bad" for an out of balance drive shaft :)

Reply to a different comment. What is the difference with marking the drive shaft orientation? Maybe I am missing something but the splines do not "ride" in the shaft, the spines on the yoke and the output shaft spin together as one, it's not like they develop a wear pattern together or mesh together like gears or a bearing and race set do.

·
The Big Spoon
3,214 Posts
it would be wise to hit up a tire shop. i had a tire that was going out of round and it was doing the same thing arouns 65 - 75.

in response to nolife's second comment - I can't figure out why people sweat the orientation of the driveshaft to the pinion flange either. I have seen those instructions in a few diy manuals though.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
80 mph if it was the tranny you would notice it well before that. does it vivrate when you take it up in rpm not moving? does it vibrate at 80 no matter if your in 4th ot 5th?
does it only do it on accel or decell or crusing? does the vibration get worse as you go faster?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
80 mph if it was the tranny you would notice it well before that. does it vivrate when you take it up in rpm not moving? does it vibrate at 80 no matter if your in 4th ot 5th?
does it only do it on accel or decell or crusing? does the vibration get worse as you go faster?
ill have to check again, its suppose to be nice tomorrow so ill take it out before i go to work and let ya know.

But from what i know now when i start to hit near 80 it vibrates when im getting on it, ill have to check if it still continues in 4th or if im crusing, but i always back off when it starts b/c i dont know what it is and i dont want it to be hurting something so i back off. But ill have to check tomorrow and get back to you guys. But it does not vibrate when i up the RPM not moving, i know what for sure but i will let you guys know tomorrow for sure. Thanks a lot for the help guys! really appreciate it! Also i do have 3.73 gears just to let ya know. Thanks again! - Joe.

·
Registered
241 Posts
it would be wise to hit up a tire shop. i had a tire that was going out of round and it was doing the same thing arouns 65 - 75.

in response to nolife's second comment - I can't figure out why people sweat the orientation of the driveshaft to the pinion flange either. I have seen those instructions in a few diy manuals though.
It is installed in a certain balanced position from the factory. Mine vib after a trans install cuz i didn't mark it. It was off by 2 bolt holes. Mine is permanently marked now

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
It is installed in a certain balanced position from the factory. Mine vib after a trans install cuz i didn't mark it. It was off by 2 bolt holes. Mine is permanently marked now
That does not make sense, what could actually be different between the two positions? How would you ever swap drive shafts or buy a replacement one? I would understand if the pinion flange and the drive shaft are balanced as a pair but they aren't. Maybe over time a slightly unbalanced drive shaft causes the pinion flange to conform and even everything out?

I've swapped new and used drive shafts and never considered orientation. Maybe I've got lucky so far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts