Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

As much as I like my car, I am hating the color. It is just PITA to take care of. Just thinking it will have swirls in a few days again....:(

SF4500 is amazing. I could never figure out why I still had swirls even after doing compound/polish. It just needed some ultra polishing haha.

I feel like I am getting better. Though I noticed under the light....very VERY close up, I still noticed very minor swirls....so minor you can only see it in certain angles.....Is this normal? I know I will have to keep practicing but which step do I need to do more? 105?205?sf4500?

I use 6 on the poilsher for 105. 5 for 205. 4.5 for Sf4500....is this good? The reason why I ask is because I want to get it perfect so next time I can get it 100% swirl free. Some parts are 100% swirl free but there are some 95% swirl free spots. Then there are scratches too deep I can't really take it out with compound.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To those of you that have closed garage...does it get dusty when you are working on the car? I know 105 is infamously known for dusting but man does it get dusty even on the surfaces on the OTHER side of the car I am working on. I am thinking this is because my garage is open.....Plus I am constantly wiping off the products/dust so it creates staticity which could attract dust...?

Also sometimes products like 105 will get on the spots I have already worked on just because it's closeby....so I wipe it off with some QD on the mf.....will this scratch the paint?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh and what do you call those little "spots"? Like even after the swirl are gone, you see them close up under the light. Are those rock chips? Or is it something in the paint? My friend has a metallic color but mine is just black.

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts

As much as I like my car, I am hating the color. It is just PITA to take care of. Just thinking it will have swirls in a few days again....:(

SF4500 is amazing. I could never figure out why I still had swirls even after doing compound/polish. It just needed some ultra polishing haha.

I feel like I am getting better. Though I noticed under the light....very VERY close up, I still noticed very minor swirls....so minor you can only see it in certain angles.....Is this normal? I know I will have to keep practicing but which step do I need to do more? 105?205?sf4500?

I use 6 on the poilsher for 105. 5 for 205. 4.5 for Sf4500....is this good? The reason why I ask is because I want to get it perfect so next time I can get it 100% swirl free. Some parts are 100% swirl free but there are some 95% swirl free spots. Then there are scratches too deep I can't really take it out with compound.
Looks very good man. Black is very hard to deal with.

Also you shouldn't have swirls again in a few days. Where do you think the swirls are coming from? An untouched car shouldn't swirl. They generally come from bad washing habits or rubbing dust off the paint and stuff like that. Definitely can prevent that kind of stuff.

105 will cut the deepest. If there are still some micro swirls I would think it was not enough m105 but I guess i'm not 100% sure. Could be technique? With menz on black as a final polish i'd throw it on 4. No need for higher speeds IMO. I'm not sure what everyone that has used it used it at but I do 3 for sealant/wax 5-6 Compound, Usually 5 on Polish and 4 on final polish but the micro swirls could have been from something in your pad maybe? m205 can even get small swirls out so all I can think it's from is technique or something. Can you get any pictures of the swirls? Vader or Modded or ChrisJ might be able to speak more on this as they have or have had black cars they have fully corrected.

To those of you that have closed garage...does it get dusty when you are working on the car? I know 105 is infamously known for dusting but man does it get dusty even on the surfaces on the OTHER side of the car I am working on. I am thinking this is because my garage is open.....Plus I am constantly wiping off the products/dust so it creates staticity which could attract dust...?

Also sometimes products like 105 will get on the spots I have already worked on just because it's closeby....so I wipe it off with some QD on the mf.....will this scratch the paint?
m105 will dust no matter how ya use it on whatever pads you use it on. I just wait until i'm done and spray the car down again or wait until i'm done then go over it with Eraser or IPA wipedown since I do that in between compound/polishes anyways.

Oh and what do you call those little "spots"? Like even after the swirl are gone, you see them close up under the light. Are those rock chips? Or is it something in the paint? My friend has a metallic color but mine is just black.
Sealant pop or rock chips. Apparently sealant pop is due to not enough flash time on the paint when the vehicles is painted so that's in the paint. Rock chips can obviously go through the clear into the paint or even further.

·
Resident Ford Rep
631 Posts
Looking good so far! what kind of light are you using? I'm new to the clean crew as well and still learning. I used my compound 36-38 from CG and used speeds 5 and 6. How was the Menz product? Been thinking about investing in some.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm using the Brinksman from Detailers Domain. Very bright and handy. The only thing I don't get is why there are two lens...?

I saw one of the guys from this forum do a youtube review of 36-38 from CG...Seems like they work. Will try them when I get some extra spending money :p

SF4500 is great! It is definitely a must for black cars. I am thinking maybe I could just use this and use seal/wax on cars that don't really have swirls or scratches.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I forgot to mention why 9 hours wasn't enough....I did not get to polish the trunk/rear quarter panels/drivers side door. So only my entire front/roof/passenger side door is super glossy hahaha

·
Resident Ford Rep
631 Posts
I'm using the Brinksman from Detailers Domain. Very bright and handy. The only thing I don't get is why there are two lens...?

I saw one of the guys from this forum do a youtube review of 36-38 from CG...Seems like they work. Will try them when I get some extra spending money :p

SF4500 is great! It is definitely a must for black cars. I am thinking maybe I could just use this and use seal/wax on cars that don't really have swirls or scratches.
That's it.. SF4500 will be in my next order lol. For a first time user I was pleased with the results of CG compounds. Learning them more in depth would definitely yield better results. Don't see why there would be two lenses? I'm gonna look at some of the commercial tool supply chains like farm and fleet and harbor freight for a decent and budget friendly light.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Yes, M105 will dust no matter what you do and it can get on the other side of the car.

Go speed 6 on all polishing steps. Only time you should slow down your DA is for a glaze, sealant, or wax.

Its VERY hard to get a 100% correction on black. So, for your first few details expect some minor swirls even after a correction. Even when you get good, 100% correction is extremely hard. I would suggest getting a glaze to help bridge the gap some.

As to the 9 hour thing, ya this takes time. You will get faster with time. My first detail took 40+ hours. I can do a 3 step polish, glaze, seal, wax, interior, rim polish/seal, ect. in about 15 hours if I take my time and do it all right. If I am pressed for time, I can drop that to 10 hours but I cut corners.

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
Oh snap someone else has zymol. Good man. Would you like a small sample of zymol carbon?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I noticed today under sunlight, I do not see ANY swirls...even on the spots I thought I saw swirls......Because when I was detailing, I used Brinksmann flashlight.

I'm confused :(

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Yes, M105 will dust no matter what you do and it can get on the other side of the car.

Go speed 6 on all polishing steps. Only time you should slow down your DA is for a glaze, sealant, or wax.
+1 to m105 dusting. It's just the way it is.

6 isn't always necessary. It can allow for the most cut but you might not always need that much. Also polishes aren't doing as much cutting so m205 doesn't need as much speed. m105 will finish better if after your normal passes you bump down to 4~ and do a couple passes. I haven't seen/used many final polishes but the ones I have seen/used I never needed 6 for.

I noticed today under sunlight, I do not see ANY swirls...even on the spots I thought I saw swirls......Because when I was detailing, I used Brinksmann flashlight.

I'm confused :(
Swirls/defects can be harder to see in the sun than in a dark room with a inspection light. I have a brinkman swirl finder and it has 2 lights. . . I'm not sure about the lense issue you are talking about.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i meant two lights on the Brinksman. Well the only reason why I hated swirls so much is because it looked horrible under sunlight...

Should I strive to make it 100% swirlfree under inspection light or just keep doing what I do now and hope it doesn't show under the sun? haha

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
i meant two lights on the Brinksman. Well the only reason why I hated swirls so much is because it looked horrible under sunlight...

Should I strive to make it 100% swirlfree under inspection light or just keep doing what I do now and hope it doesn't show under the sun? haha
To get 100% correction is going to take a lot more time than you have spent. You are probably even looking to get into wetsanding/chip filling/etc. Getting to even 90% correction will probably keep from any scratches/swirls being seen in the sun unless you know where they are and are looking specifically for them. You can turn off the 2 lights and only use one if you want. The 2 lights just gives you 2 different points of focus for your paint.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts

Bro dont get discouraged Black is hard to take care of, fortunately when black is done right, it is RIDICULOUSLY amazing looking. Press on! I promise its worth it.

Its the best. what i use.

105 should correct 99% of defects, 205 should fix the haze from 105 and bring it to almost perfection. sf4500 should really make it perfect. If you are still getting marks after sf4500, use a blue pad and make sure to work the polish for as long as itll let you. Also do your last 3 or so passes on speed 3, this will create that perfect finish youre after.

105- spread out on 2-3, then 5-6 with moderately firm pressure, you want to add pressure to help it cut, but not so much that youre polishing speed is sacrificed.

205, spread out on 2-3, then i would start on 5-6 for the first couple passes, then do the last few passes on 3.5-4 to help it finish out, finishing it out will help sf4500 finish perfectly.

SF4500- Spread on 2-3, then first couple passes on 5, then bring the speed down to 3-4 and work it for a while, you should be able to work the polish for a long time, this "jeweling" should remove any and all marks from 205 and make your paint look like an abyss that never ends.

If you are interested in using a compound that barely dusts check out Chemical Guys Hybrid Optical Polishes. V32 and v34. Also i would recommend washing your car in between 205 and SF4500, this will help get the dust from 105 off before it gets hard to remove But doing it before SF4500 means if you accidentally get some water spotting from washing, Sf4500 will take care of it. Follow Sf4500 with IPA wipe and wax that bitch. :)

Sorry if i repeated some previous posts above, i didnt read them all, just replied to OP, lol. Sorry if there is an echo in here. lol

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts

:)

Ill be correcting my mach 1 soon using v36 followed by Menzerna SF4500. Should be a relatively dust free correction.

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
If you liked the way that zymol performed, shoot me a pm. lol stangpride pm me your address ill send you some too lol. Try to hold you over until the glassur gets there..

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
would 38 have similar qualities to the menz4500? I'm assuming 4500 is higher quality final polish?
well it depends on your paint. IME on my mustang...NO v38 doesnt finish as well as SF4500. SF4500 finishes perfect after M205 on my paint but its very dependant on how well your medium polish finishes.

All polishing is very very dependant upon these factors:
-Paint type
-Pad/Polish combo.
-Technique (huge variable)
-Panel Material (metal panels disburse heat faster than plastic which means a higher polisher speed will be required to cut as deep as something slightly slower on plastic/fiberglass panels.)

I just did some v36 followed by Menzerna SF4500 on my mustang about an hour ago after i took of the bumper letter inserts. V36 finished like crap on my mustang even tho it finished amazingly on my corolla, it took everything Sf4500 had to correct buffing marks v36 left with a green pad. That being said, i think v36 may have more cut then 205 and that may be why. I may mess around with v38 and see whats up.

When i do 105/205/SF4500 on my mustang it. is. Perfection. I mean depth and clarity is awesome. The more you polish the more you will train your eyes to pick up even the TINIEST buffing mark, ive become pretty OCD about finishing my paint to perfection, so im sure ill have many hours into this correction. There will be lots of pictures

1 - 20 of 22 Posts