Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im finally starting the PI Swap this weekend on my stang. Ive collected everything needed for the swap over a 10 month period and only spent about $400 for everything. The last thing that was holding me back was finding a set of 13/14 bolt valve covers and I finally found some on ebay and got them for $30 including shipping.

·
Registered
149 Posts
my opinion it is worth the time & $. mine is like a whole different car. only thing i wish i would have gotten it dynoed before i did the swap. to see how much actual HP gained. I ended up with 278 rwhp/295 rwtq

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Same here it took me a year to get it done but tha results killer man just remember put sum headers on as of now cuz its Gonna b a bitch having to put sum in tha future. That's 1 of tha most pains about these cars

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got SUPER clean PI heads for 135 each. Got them hot tanked, 3 angle valve job and ring around each valve. Still thinking about telling them to keep them and to the port work since it's the best machine shop in the bay area. If it weren't for the machine shop and body work i'de have been done in a month. It's been about a month and a half and I already cut off the front end of mine (I rear ended the hell out of a truck or porta potties on it lol) and cut off the front of one at the u pull it, just welded it all up today, good as new, I even found a front bumper and side fenders the same color : ). My heads will be ready monday if I don't get them ported, so by the time my gaskets and bolts get here my total time with pi swap and body work will be pushing 3 months. Good luck I still plan on getting bbk headers to match my exhaust and a nice intake manifold and plenum, still deciding. I hope to get 350 rwhp after getting it dyno tuned. wishful thinking but we will see. Good luck!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got SUPER clean PI heads for 135 each. Got them hot tanked, 3 angle valve job and ring around each valve. Still thinking about telling them to keep them and to the port work since it's the best machine shop in the bay area. If it weren't for the machine shop and body work i'de have been done in a month. It's been about a month and a half and I already cut off the front end of mine (I rear ended the hell out of a truck or porta potties on it lol) and cut off the front of one at the u pull it, just welded it all up today, good as new, I even found a front bumper and side fenders the same color : ). My heads will be ready monday if I don't get them ported, so by the time my gaskets and bolts get here my total time with pi swap and body work will be pushing 3 months. Good luck I still plan on getting bbk headers to match my exhaust and a nice intake manifold and plenum, still deciding. I hope to get 350 rwhp after getting it dyno tuned. wishful thinking but we will see. Good luck!
Are you talking about M & M Cylinder Heads Machine shop? I've heard good things about them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Very nice, if I can give a word of advice don't get too upset with the dipstick tube. You will want to break it after the third time of trying to get the driver side head in place (if working alone... at night... after a ten hour work day...) Also, if you don't have headers on your car but want them in the future, do it now. I went with BBK shorties and an O/R H pipe and I'm pleased with the result. Oh and just so you know (because nobody told me when I did this about four years ago) there is a small set screw that needs to be in the head or the oil and coolant will mix and shoot out of your heads... Imagine my surprise.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im pulling the engine out to do the head swap. I already have some bbk equal length shorties too. Im going to replace alot of the connectors on the wiring harness since they are dry rotting. Im thinking of painting the engine and tranny with some black duplicolor high heat ceramic paint and cleaning up the engine bay when the engines out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good deal, that's when you start thinking "well, I got the engine out... might as well put something bigger in!" The fun part with that is trying to justify to your g/f or wife why that would be the best route to go for the car. lol

True story, when I was married I explained to my wife how all the mods I was doing to the car would actually be paid for by the fuel I would be saving from the HP increase... I then proceeded to explain weight to power ratios and how if you keep the same weight but increase the power you would save gas. This went on for a couple weeks and then I bought all the stuff anyways.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good deal, that's when you start thinking "well, I got the engine out... might as well put something bigger in!" The fun part with that is trying to justify to your g/f or wife why that would be the best route to go for the car. lol

True story, when I was married I explained to my wife how all the mods I was doing to the car would actually be paid for by the fuel I would be saving from the HP increase... I then proceeded to explain weight to power ratios and how if you keep the same weight but increase the power you would save gas. This went on for a couple weeks and then I bought all the stuff anyways.
HahA!! I usually just buy the wife a pair of shoes and that keeps her distracted for quite a while.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Now why didn't I think of that?! haha

Here's a bit of info I'll pass on. Don't buy your wife or girlfriend any kind of exercise equipment or exercise apparel unless she has discussed wanting it in a past conversation. The only way you can possibly give her those items is if you purchase a set or pair for you and her, and then you can tell her that "I thought we could do this together!" After that, kick back and order yourself a stoker motor sir because you earned it!

·
Sarcastic Sally
3,352 Posts

You dont happen to be the gentleman with the gold stang that did a engine swap in the driveway with pics are you?

·
Registered
11 Posts
No, mine is black and unfortunately I didn't take any photos of the process. Well there is one photo but it's not anything interesting... Just me with a wrench in my hand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts