Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the email I have been waiting for since October, Pypes Exhaust has finally gotten the last piece of the Super system in and now all I need to do is get the car up there to get it installed. I will try to post a video soon.

·
Registered
305 Posts
3" seems like way too much for your car, I may be wrong but...

If you imagine a cross section of a 3" pipe vs a 2.5" pipe, the 3" has an area roughly 7 sq inches of vs. a 2.5" which has an area of roughly 4.9 sq inches. So that .5" increase in diameter gives you about 40% increase in area; which is most likely too much for the amount of air your 5.0 is flowing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently the Dyno tests show a 10-12 HP gain along with a gain in torque so I guess it isn't.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Apparently the Dyno tests show a 10-12 HP gain along with a gain in torque so I guess it isn't.
Post the graph.

I'd be willing to bet that 12hp peak + tq gain is more than offset by the loss of low end power.

Peak horsepower isnt everything; just ask any Supra owner haha

·
Token asian guy
2,783 Posts
All 5.0 cat back exhausts are 3". I haven't heard of any exhaust company that makes anything but 3" exhaust for the 5.0. The stock exhaust is 2.75", but necks down to 2.5" in some spots.

·
Registered
305 Posts
All 5.0 cat back exhausts are 3". I haven't heard of any exhaust company that makes anything but 3" exhaust for the 5.0. The stock exhaust is 2.75", but necks down to 2.5" in some spots.
Well color me stupid then! I didnt know that...it still seems a little big to me, even for a DOHC 5.0. I just assumed it was still 2.5" like it used to be. Then again I pretty much stopped following Mustangs back in '04; but this new 5.0 has me interested again :)

·
Token asian guy
2,783 Posts
These new motors are awesome and flow alot of air.

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
a lot of people are running 3" exhaust on the 5.0s with great success. these 5.0's aren't anything like those 2v 4.6s.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would tend to agree with you, but low end torque influence would be seen moreso by the diameter of the headers. If the gases aren't scavenged quickly enough as in the case of large diameter head pipes you would see a drop in low end torque, not to say that the rest of the exhaust system wouldn't play a part in this also, but mainly the headers. As the other people have indicated the Coyote flows air pretty well and all mfgr's are putting the 3" pipes out to market with success.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
sweet! i love pypes!!! i remember when pypes used to suck, they stepped up their game and now come out with great products for a good price!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would tend to agree with you, but low end torque influence would be seen moreso by the diameter of the headers. If the gases aren't scavenged quickly enough as in the case of large diameter head pipes you would see a drop in low end torque, not to say that the rest of the exhaust system wouldn't play a part in this also, but mainly the headers. As the other people have indicated the Coyote flows air pretty well and all mfgr's are putting the 3" pipes out to market with success.
I would just add that this engine also performs better with larger diameter primaries. Discussing this with Nick at ARH, they done extensive testing with various size primaries and had the best hp and Tq gain with 1 7/8". This motor can really breath.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The cat back system got installed yesterday and all I can say is WOW! No popping, nice idle, wakes up the world when you thromp the pedal and yes it feels like it has more power. Great job Pypes! $490 including installation for a 3" Cat Back system that is warranted fro life agains manufacturing defect is a steal. Pypes peeps took some videos and I will post a link once they have them ready. Finally my car sounds like a muscle car!! Woohoo!!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The cat back system got installed yesterday and all I can say is WOW! No popping, nice idle, wakes up the world when you thromp the pedal and yes it feels like it has more power. Great job Pypes! $490 including installation for a 3" Cat Back system that is warranted for life against manufacturing defects is a steal. Pypes peeps took some videos and I will post a link once they have them ready. Finally my car sounds like a muscle car!! Woohoo!!!!!

·
Yes, I am your Daddy
983 Posts
wheres the video clip?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will if I can, but Pypes took a lot of video and said they would be posting it on their web site and You tube. Whichever comes first I will let y'all know.

·
Yes, I am your Daddy
983 Posts
personally, i always go for user clips.

·
Registered
828 Posts
These new motors are awesome and flow alot of air.
It was either 5.0 and fast fords or mm&ff that flow benched the new 5.0s heads and they flow more than 300cfm at .600 lift if I remember right. 3" is just fine

Oh and OP, does your Pypes system drone much?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A little around 1800 - 2000 RPM, but not enough to be annoying. If it gets annoying, I'll just crank up that 1000W stereo!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts