Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so im going to be looking for my first car soon, and was wondering what do other people think which would be the best choice. My first choice is a 87-93 foxbody, but then i was talking to my cousin and he made some good points that theyre all pritty much going to be beat up on and they only have 225 hp to start with and you need a dyno tune because you cant do the flash tune, so he suggested that i should look into a 94-95 5.0 or a 96-98 cobra. my limit on a car is 5000, but im going to try to look at car are 6000 and sweet talk my parents.
I still wanted the foxbody because everything is so cheep for it and with the other 2 choices the aftermarket parts are a little more expensive, but the foxbody's interior is not as good. So my question is what do you think would be the most logical choice, a 87-93 Foxbody, 94-95 5.0, or a 96-98 Cobra?

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
the 87-93 would be your best choice if you can spend 5-6 grand. You can get something very not beat up for that price.

Where abouts are you?

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
The 96-98s would be more reliable. The 94-95s are just a PITA. The foxbodies usually lack creature comforts and will nickel and dime the crap out of you but they are definitely fun cars. I have been looking everywhere for a unmolested 85 GT to replace the one I sold many years ago.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
in new york on long island... but the only thing that would bug me is that im going to have to drive 45 mins to go to college in the spring everymorning so i want something that is fast enough to have fun in but is relibale

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how the insurance on the foxbodies? Because im 17 and i got a quote and it was going to be like 3.5k a year for me on my own plan when i THOUGHT my ticket wasnt going to be reduced to a parking ticket.

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
well. Take this with a grain of salt but, I don't see the point of insuring a 5 thousand dollar car with the exception of liability. If the car gets cracked up and it is not your fault, then you can sue.. if it your fault, then you are only out 5 g's because liability covered the other car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea i know what your saying but if i wanted to i could find a more liable car like an altima for 5k, but when i say liable i mean i dont want the little things to **** out on me and have to get the stupid things fixed then have the car break down bc of something... i know what ever car i get is going to have its problem in one way or another

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
go for the fox. i picked up a built (HCI and everything else) 1989 LX for $1400.

the thing about the dyno tune isn't true. you don't need tunes for small things like you do with modulars.

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
all cars have problems.... every try working on an altima? LOL
no thanks.

If you want something reliable go buy a good fox if you want the capability of speed in the future.

If you want something reliable and fun go get a wrangler.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
go for the fox. i picked up a built (HCI and everything else) 1989 LX for $1400.

the thing about the dyno tune isn't true. you don't need tunes for small things like you do with modulars.
you dont need to tune modulars with every mod unless its a 05+

isay 96-98 it was my first car that i bought and i love it bad thing was when i was 18 full coverage was like 450 a month. after the first 6 months though it dropped to 200 a month. now im 20 with my stang and a 02 ram 1500 its 147 a month full coverage. insurance just sucks for the first few months it gets better quick

and welcome

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
id say go for the 96-98 cobra. damn those things are QUICK. plus on top of that the interior is x100000000000000000 times nicer/better than the foxbody AND the exterior is pure SEX which to be honest i dont believe the foxbody is. just me .02

·
Registered
94 Posts
i have 98 gt and i love it. wouldnt sell it for the world. it may not be as fast as the new age cars but its a blast to drive. i also work with a guy that has a wicked fox, and its not blown. it would be a great car as well but also, given he spent a lot of time and $$ on the car..which you can make any fun car a beast with some $$. plan to do some more mods to mine when i can afford to..got too much bills and stuf at the moment..good luck on the decision though!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
all cars have problems.... every try working on an altima? LOL
no thanks.

If you want something reliable go buy a good fox if you want the capability of speed in the future.

If you want something reliable and fun go get a wrangler.
Wrangler is your best bet :D

well I like the look of the sn95 much more than teh fox...and it handles better on the road because the chassis is a little stiffer. And as far as reliability I'm fairly sure the sn95's are, mine has 137,000 miles and i still drag it. The 96-98 cobra would be even better

·
Registered
310 Posts
Does your limit include some slush to fix various crap thats going to need replaced etc? Also dont be afraid to negotiate, talk is cheap and I recently negotiated a 98 XJ down to 3400 from 6k (6k was way above nada and kbb; it was insanely clean though)

·
Registered
6 Posts
-i would also go for 87-93. much durable, reliable and powerful machine. you can own that but you need to spend some extra bucks than other choices

1 - 20 of 21 Posts