Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hitting the drag strip tommorrow for the first time and racing my friends LT1 Trans Am. It has a cold air and flowmaster exhaust but thats it. We have been wanting to race but are going legal with it. :eek: . Any advice though on launching etc etc? It's gonna cost me $15 for unlimited runs so I will have plenty of time for warm ups and all. :D I'm good on fluids, 90% oil on synthetic and its clean so im ready to go. I'm ready to shift hard since I have a Spec Stage 3 Clutch and know my car pretty well.. I also have magnaflows and Accufab TB/Plenum with Nitto 555's (2,000 miles). Any thoughts on who will win the race? Honest opinions and thanks guys ;)

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
A lot of factors. The TA will more than likely take you unless he slips up. My buddy has one that he is currently building his block in but before he pulled it apart the car had a lot of problems and kept up with mine. If I'm not mistaken then that LT1 is nothing like the LS motors but I do still think he will take you in the longrun. I assume it is your first time to the track... Just lower the air in your rear tires to about 25psi, feather the clutch off the line and just get her to hook up. It's all going to be trial and error.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Will be a drivers race. Your best bet is to try to get out front and put the pressure on him. His car will be better up top. But i think it will be pretty even being that you guys are decent drivers.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Remember its his first time out.. Strip is wayyy different then the street.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Remember its his first time out.. Strip is wayyy different then the street.
+1

I've only gone a couple times, but use your first run or so to get adjusted and figure it all out. Just make sure your traction control is off along with all other accessories lol.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Practice your launch first, and don't worry about doin' a burnout. Just spin the tires twice over to clean them off. Once you get that down you should be good to go man. Good Luck, it should be a drivers race.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I have raced a 1999 firebird around here several times and lost every one. He has LTs, SLP CAI, and 275 streets out back. I have several mods but ran him with 255 street tires and burned pretty bad. I'm not positive but I think the 99 is LS1 motor? I think you should have a good chance with the LT1. I don't know if you will have much advantage off the line though The guy I have raced really dug.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Take all the extra weight out of your car.. Stuff in the truck, spare tire, other mis stuff. Also lower your tire pressure to about 20 or 16 PSI.. Make sure to put it back to stock pressure whn you drive on the street.

When you get to the track, roll around the water box, then back into the water so the tires are just barely in the water. Put car in 2nd gear and rev it up and power brake it. Do a nice 2nd gear burn out holding it around 4-5K RPMS for like 10 to 15 seconds.. YOu want it to be smoky. Nittos need to bee heated up really good to hook.

I'd side step the clutch at like 2500-3500 and follow it with no lift shifts.. With your mods and a decent driver you should see a 13.7ish give or take a tenth.

Honestly i think the TA will have ya. They run pretty good stock.. I think a stock auto will pull close to a 13.3.. It really depends how well you hook out of the hole. You should be able to pull a 1.9 60 easy on the nittos..

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Take all the extra weight out of your car.. Stuff in the truck, spare tire, other mis stuff. Also lower your tire pressure to about 20 or 16 PSI.. Make sure to put it back to stock pressure whn you drive on the street.

When you get to the track, roll around the water box, then back into the water so the tires are just barely in the water. Put car in 2nd gear and rev it up and power brake it. Do a nice 2nd gear burn out holding it around 4-5K RPMS for like 10 to 15 seconds.. YOu want it to be smoky. Nittos need to bee heated up really good to hook.

I'd side step the clutch at like 2500-3500 and follow it with no lift shifts.. With your mods and a decent driver you should see a 13.7ish give or take a tenth.

Honestly i think the TA will have ya. They run pretty good stock.. I think a stock auto will pull close to a 13.3.. It really depends how well you hook out of the hole. You should be able to pull a 1.9 60 easy on the nittos..
Its an lt1 ta. They are solid low 14 sec cars some break into the high 13's. And only do a burnout if they are 555r's the drag radial. If there the streets just do what Rich said and spin them a little just to clear them off.

·
Registered
634 Posts
good luck man. launching and shifting will be your challenge under the pressure of first time at the track. Like the guys said, if you have 555r drag tires take them down to 18lbs and warm them up. Unless you're dead on or he screws up, I think he'll take you by just a bit but it;s a wild card!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
90% oil in my crankcase haha, and they are street 555's, it is my first ever time to the strip and his as well. It will be a quarter mile drag, I'll lower the psi when i get there and etc. Thanks alot for all the advice guys! I'll post up the video if I win or lose just so ya'll know how I do, i'm excited for my first time. Today is my last day of highschool so im hitting the strip as a way to start off the summer ;)!

·
Registered
577 Posts
I think he is referring to oil life.
Been a while since I have seen an LT1 that stock :eek: I want to say those were high 13's stock. The LS1 was the mid 13 second car. Either way it should be a really close race so have fun. Track days are awesome when you have someone to compete with. I can almost guarantee the two of you will be back for more!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ha I hope so, it's just some friendly competition ya know. We both help eachother fix our cars, from brakes to fenders and waxing we know eachothers cars but havent run. We plan to go back together after every couple mods, i should get him from a dig cause his tires are bald haha. He is looking for a couple vette wheels for the back for more traction so we'll prolly go back when he gets those. Man I love these stangs though, I had a die hard GM fan drive my car last night and he told me If I was ever to sell my mustang he would buy it.

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
at the track i run 18lbs in my 555rs then they hook very good after and small burn out

as you can see what happend the last time i was at the track

i launch at 3k and ease the clutch out ( dont just dump it)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I usually just launch at 2500 when im on the streets and was planning on that because i've heard axles going out and clutches even tearing up at 3000 on all stock GT's, my clutch should be fine but my axle is still stock so 2500 enough?

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
the track and the streets are two totaly different animals lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts