Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alrighty so i turn 21 just after the new year, went and checked out one of the local gun shops, they have 2 XD9's with the 3" barrel for 479$ thats the kit with holster, magazines and barrel lock. would that be a good first time gun deal? I want something i could carry if i wanted to, but take to the range and have fun with, plus be the first home defense weapon to grab. the mossberg with 24" barrel wont round corners as easy as this lol.

ive been reading around in the ammo box for a little while and the XD/XD-m seems to be a favorite. and id rather not spend an extra 2-300$ for the same weapon with a longer barrel.

what else would you guys suggest? i plan on picking up a handgun either way, price isnt a HUGE deciding factor, as long as the weapon im getting is worth it.

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
Thats a bit on the high side for a subcompact XD. I paid $10 more for the fullsize XDm (40). I would shop around a bit more.

·
Semper Fi
4,181 Posts
the 'M' model isn't the same gun with a longer barrel. There are lots of difference, 16 to be exact; including match grade barrel and trigger, interchangeable back straps, more magazine capacity, etc.

But the XD is a great gun. I believe they come with an extended magazine to make it feel like a full size gun, which would fit your criteria of concealed carry, home defense, and fun at the range. If you like it, go for it.

Other recommendations would be Glock or a good 1911

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
Heres a couple of the differences that sold me on an XDm rather than just the XD:

Adjustable backstrap
Match-grade barrel
No trigger pull required for takedown
Trigger supposedly a little better than the XD
More aggressive grip texture for better grip
Grip design change to ease accessibility of mag release
More aggressive slide serrations for better grip
More capacity than standard XD
Triple-position Picatinney rail for more accessory adjustment options

( As advertised by Springfield )

But as beef said, you can get either in the 3.8 or 4.5.

·
Registered
701 Posts
the 'M' model isn't the same gun with a longer barrel. There are lots of difference, 16 to be exact; including match grade barrel and trigger, interchangeable back straps, more magazine capacity, etc.

But the XD is a great gun. I believe they come with an extended magazine to make it feel like a full size gun, which would fit your criteria of concealed carry, home defense, and fun at the range. If you like it, go for it.

^Truth.

I got the stainless full size xdm .40 for like 100$ more. Keep in mind some gun shops cater to law enforcement and jack up prices so the Leo discount looks great and they can make extra bucks off the guy that hasn't shopped around.

When you turn 21 call around and see if there's an xdm 45 you can rent. The full size 9 with 19rnd mags is cool because 19rnds is a lot of shots for one magazine. The 40 holds 16 in the mag, but without tweaking, its got some flip to the recoil, and they tend to climb on rapid fire. I've wondered what the 45 shoots like.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts

Why no love for the M&P since it's in the same class as the Glock and XD?

·
Super Moderator
39,159 Posts
alrighty so i turn 21 just after the new year, went and checked out one of the local gun shops, they have 2 XD9's with the 3" barrel for 479$ thats the kit with holster, magazines and barrel lock. would that be a good first time gun deal? I want something i could carry if i wanted to, but take to the range and have fun with, plus be the first home defense weapon to grab. the mossberg with 24" barrel wont round corners as easy as this lol.

ive been reading around in the ammo box for a little while and the XD/XD-m seems to be a favorite. and id rather not spend an extra 2-300$ for the same weapon with a longer barrel.

what else would you guys suggest? i plan on picking up a handgun either way, price isnt a HUGE deciding factor, as long as the weapon im getting is worth it.

You can do a lot better than that.

Don't decide on something just because of the price is a few dollars cheaper.

If you want a compact sized gun, take a look at the M&P9c and the XDM9 compact, and the Glock 26.

·
Semper Fi
4,181 Posts
Why no love for the M&P since it's in the same class as the Glock and XD?
true. M&P's are good guns. Prepare for the worst trigger known to man. Other than that it's a good shooting gun....

·
Semper Fi
4,181 Posts
oh i'm talking about M&P's. i was joking when i said worst known to man, of course the Sigma's take that trophy. But the M&P's have very sub-standard factory triggers. Crunchy, poor reset, and indistinct trigger break. Now if you get the aftermarket trigger packs, then you're golden. i have a buddy that has the Apex trigger...changes the gun completely.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
oh i'm talking about M&P's. i was joking when i said worst known to man, of course the Sigma's take that trophy. But the M&P's have very sub-standard factory triggers. Crunchy, poor reset, and indistinct trigger break. Now if you get the aftermarket trigger packs, then you're golden. i have a buddy that has the Apex trigger...changes the gun completely.
It's true, like every gun there's some negatives. But the nice thing about the M&P is that the trigger is VERY VERY simple. Anyone w/ a grinding and polishing wheel/stone can completely change the trigger w/ a couple hours of free time.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just thought that was a good price for the xd, the shop had a 1911 for 750$ and a few glocks a touch under 600. The gun show was this last Sunday but I didn't make it, mostly cause I can't purchase anything yet. I think I'll hit the range and rent a few different guns and try them out

·
Old timer
9,296 Posts
I don't think 479 for the XD9 is a bad price. I carry a glock 26 and my room mate the xd9, I really like the way his gun shoots/feels. I think he paid 450 OTD for his.

You can usually talk to them and they might be willing to work on the price some.

·
Registered
541 Posts
First 9mm I ever shot was an xd compact. It's a great gun. And if you don't have medium sized hands it will be a great fit.

·
Super Moderator
39,159 Posts
Out of the box, it does suck pretty bad, but after shooting it, and dry firing it a lot, it will smooth out. But I will say my 9L with the Apex kit is fantastic, best trigger I've ever felt in a polymer handgun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts