·
Registered
10,512 Posts
great post. most of yo9ur latest stickies are awsome

·
The Shogun of Harlem
6,344 Posts
White99stang said:
Alright we have been getting alot of questions about what to put on your car when its stock or just about stock. So here is a list of things to get that you will benifit the most from without hurting your motor.

1. Cat-back exhaust, you can't have a mustang without good sound to it
(MAC, Magnaflow, Borla, SLP, Bassani, Flowmaster)
2. Mid-pipe either h-pipe or x-pipe. If you are worried about inspection or emmissions get a catted h-pipe or x-pipe. ( MAC, BBK, Bassani but wouldn't reccommend it since it sounds like a loose convertor sometimes.
3. GEARS, definately a must if you can afford it cause the labor at most shops is 300 to install. 4.10 gears are the norm and there is not a difference between gas milage of 4.10 and 3.73 so get 4.10 if you want the most out of your car.
4. Shifter, cause 3rd gear is a pain in the butt. (pro-5.0 or steeda tri-ax)
5. Upper plenum (Accufab, C&L, Dragon, Trick Flow)
6. Throttle bodie, wouldn't go with a 75mm unless you have heads and cams cause it can actually hurt you. (Accufab, MAC, FRPP, Dragon, Trick Flow)
7. Tuner or chip, with the gears and all the modifications you can squeeze some extra power out with a tune, preferably on a dyno. (SCT, Diablo)
8. Underdrive pulleys, reduces drag on the accesories. (STEEDA, MAC)
9. If you need a clutch (Centerforce dual friction, closest to stock feeling, SPEC)
10. Springs, to lower that 4x4 ride height (Eibach, Steeda)
11. Longtube headers, a good improvement on exhaust flow over the stock but some might have problems with inspections (MAC, BBK, Hooker)
12. CAI, just get a little breath of colder air, only expect between 3-7 hp from these (JLT CAI or RAI highly recommended, Densecharger, Mac, BBK but don't recommend getting a chrome CAI cause it actually gets hotter air, and of course K&N)

Well thats all i can think of right now, with these modifications you will be started on the fast track to having a pretty fast car with a mean sound. And should be running in the 13's to high 12's depending on driving skills.
It's all right here. You should make this a sticky:
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/11854-newbies-doing-your-first-mod-read-mods-dummies.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dont forget about a nice electric water pump, will net you small gains. Also check out MGW, they make some of the best short shifters, IMO just as good if not slightly better than steeda.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I see that the first mods topic above refers to manual tranny. How about us in automatic transmission heaven? any suggestions for mods to improve our ponies without converting the AOD into a MT?

·
The Shogun of Harlem
6,344 Posts
kapuyawn said:
I see that the first mods topic above refers to manual tranny. How about us in automatic transmission heaven? any suggestions for mods to improve our ponies without converting the AOD into a MT?
The rules are pretty much the same. Gears are definitly a #1 mod for automatics. 4:10s highly recommended. PosiTraction lock Limited Slip Differentials is a must too. In case you didn't see it above here is the link again. Should answer some of your starter questions.
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forum...or-dummies-vt6758.html?highlight=mods+dummies

·
Registered
986 Posts
kapuyawn said:
A bit off topic for the thread but FYI I went through the swap and I think it's probably the best thing I ever did out of all my mods.

Price tag was around 2170. With parts & labor.

I have a TR3650 from a 03 Mach 1 (It was swapped for a 6spd tranny), BSR modified Tri-Ax Shifter, Billet Flexplater and a SPEC Stage II Clutch.

(Thats what I had used during install)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi, I'm new here and noticed this thread and I agree with everything I see, buit please allow me to put in my 02. The first thing I would reccomend for the GT's especially but for all in general is subframe connectors. The mustangs Unibody is notorious for twisting under acceleration. I had maximum motorsport sfc's installed on my car as the first mod.
The change was immediately noticeable. When I first got on the pedal after buying the car I used to feel the body twist and try to slide out on me, after the sfc's were installed my launches were nice and straight. In addition the welding in of sfc's could
save u a giant headache in case of an accident as there will be less chance of screwing up the frame.

thank you.

·
The Shogun of Harlem
6,344 Posts
mnrlgry99gt said:
Hi, I'm new here and noticed this thread and I agree with everything I see, buit please allow me to put in my 02. The first thing I would reccomend for the GT's especially but for all in general is subframe connectors. The mustangs Unibody is notorious for twisting under acceleration. I had maximum motorsport sfc's installed on my car as the first mod.
The change was immediately noticeable. When I first got on the pedal after buying the car I used to feel the body twist and try to slide out on me, after the sfc's were installed my launches were nice and straight. In addition the welding in of sfc's could
save u a giant headache in case of an accident as there will be less chance of screwing up the frame.

thank you.
You know, I don't think I 've heard anyone mention that since I've been here. Welcome to the club. :wave

·
Registered
26 Posts
neckbonekat said:
mnrlgry99gt said:

thank you.
You know, I don't think I 've heard anyone mention that since I've been here. Welcome to the club. :wave
Basic Mustang upgrades 101. hehe You can make all the power in the world but if u can't get it to the ground it's useless

Thanks for the Welcome as well. Iv'e only been around the mustang forum scene for about a yr. First car was a '68 stang at the ripe old age of 17, kept it a few yrs then had a fam and had to get something else.Recently bought a 1999 gt, my midlife crisis as my smart ass 18 yr daughter calls it, and proceded to dump money in it to make it as fast, N/A that is, as possible as well as being able to carve corners and make the occasional trip done the 1320. Boy was I a newb 20 yrs between stangs will do that to ya, hahha. Then I came across the best thing ever, the mustang club I belong to on Long Island. There guys are great, no question was too dumb, no flaming if u made a mistake, at least not in a condescending way. We meet 4 days a wee from spring to fall. Ok thats enuff I'm starting to ramble, Thanks again and I'm lookin forward to learning some new stuff and mayne contributing a little of my newly gained knowledge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2004 Ford Mustang GT

Alil help here......im to lazy 2 hit up the strip....imma street racer...i have a 2004 mustang.....cold air intake/ 80mm throttle & plenum / 4:10 / Stock exhaust......is mah motor a 16v or 24v? and whats the stock quarter mile on a 04 GT........im soon to add a 3in magnaflows and bbk long tubes....

·
The Shogun of Harlem
6,344 Posts
Re: 2004 Ford Mustang GT

Modular04GT said:
Alil help here......im to lazy 2 hit up the strip....imma street racer...i have a 2004 mustang.....cold air intake/ 80mm throttle & plenum / 4:10 / Stock exhaust......is mah motor a 16v or 24v? and whats the stock quarter mile on a 04 GT........im soon to add a 3in magnaflows and bbk long tubes....
16V
1/4 Mile ET: 14.070
1/4 Mile MPH: 99.870
0-60 Foot ET: 2.233
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Mustang
Car Type: GT
Car Year: 2004
The Mustang GT coupe ($23,245) and Mustang GT convertible ($27,585) come with a 4.6-liter V8 with single overhead cams and two-valves per cylinder rated at 260 hp at 5250 rpm and 302 lbs.-ft. of torque at 4000 rpm. To manage all that power, GT models are equipped with gas-pressure shocks with unique model calibrations, P245/45R17 performance tires on 17-inch alloy painted wheels, a Traction Loc rear axle, ABS and traction control. GTs come with sport bucket seats and fog lamps. The V8 mates with a Tremec five-speed manual gearbox with a tall fifth gear for improved fuel economy. A four-speed automatic ($815) is optional.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts