Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing the plugs on my girlfriends '07 GT/CS tomorrow and saw that the plugs have a habit of breaking. Is there any advice or points to any threads that may help me out tomorrow. Car has 102,000 on the odometer and still has the orginial plugs.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
a 2007 with over 100k miles? dang. oh and I don't have a answer to you question...But good luck man.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
50k miles a year? thats work son. most people dont have problems removing the plugs, only some do. be gentle when removing them and i would recommend the tool limegold linked

·
Registered
923 Posts
I just spray them w/ a lubricant or drip some oil onto it, let it soak for about 5 mins, then CAREFULLY remove them. When they do break, it's usually above the nut from not having the socket on straight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i pulled mine every 10000 miles and had no problem.to many people have had them break.just put some sea foam around each plug and let it soak in awhile.try pulling them.if it gets hard put more foam till they break loose.replace them with the champs 7989.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
I'd follow the TSB for this one ... Good luck. I'm guessing a lot of those miles were highway? If so that's a good thing for you. Short trips is what kills these plugs and creates the problems.

·
Registered
335 Posts
i pulled mine every 10000 miles and had no problem.to many people have had them break.just put some sea foam around each plug and let it soak in awhile.try pulling them.if it gets hard put more foam till they break loose.replace them with the champs 7989.
Good advise ! First back them off 1/8 turn and then get your self some Sea Foam and spray into the cavity until it just covers the hex of the plug, and let sit for an hour. After an hour start by loosing a 1/4 turn then tighting back 1/8 turn. Repeat this and they should come out. If you feel resisitance after the first hour let them soak a bit longer. Good luck and take your time !

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
U shoulnt have trouble pulling them out man just use a spark plug socket and extension and get it out.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Just like everyone said, be careful.. if your that worried about it, take it to the dealer.. Id say 1 out of every (3) 3vs I do a tune up on a plug breaks in the head.. mustangs are easy to get them out of.. its the f-150s and expeditions that are the bitch. The spray lube I use is made by Loctite, called Freeze and Release. It works very well. Crack each plug loose a 1/8th turn, spray it in the hole, let sit for 15 sec, retighten the plug then remove. Best of luck to ya man.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Just like everyone said, be careful.. if your that worried about it, take it to the dealer.. Id say 1 out of every (3) 3vs I do a tune up on a plug breaks in the head.. mustangs are easy to get them out of.. its the f-150s and expeditions that are the bitch. The spray lube I use is made by Loctite, called Freeze and Release. It works very well. Crack each plug loose a 1/8th turn, spray it in the hole, let sit for 15 sec, retighten the plug then remove. Best of luck to ya man.
Well I wouldn't take it to you if you break 1 out of every 3 ... I've done a lot of them and haven't had a plug break on me yet. A lot of groaning and squeaking in the F150s but never had one break.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Well I wouldn't take it to you if you break 1 out of every 3 ... I've done a lot of them and haven't had a plug break on me yet. A lot of groaning and squeaking in the F150s but never had one break.
We get alot of constuction vehilcles here that have not been maintained.. and Texas weather is great for heat. Some guys have key rings of broken plug heads.. so Im not the only one. The first 5.4 3v u get with plugs broken in #4 and #8 will be fun..

·
Registered
107 Posts
the techs here make sure the car/truck hot first. they seem to come out better that way, take your time with removing them also.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
uh uh uh any one wanna spread a lil more light? hahaha

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have always been told pull the plugs when the engine is warm. Also make sure you put anti seize on the threads of the new plugs. Also if you feel it get tight when you are threading them out make sure you tighten them a little and then continue to back them out.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
I have always been told pull the plugs when the engine is warm. Also make sure you put anti seize on the threads of the new plugs. Also if you feel it get tight when you are threading them out make sure you tighten them a little and then continue to back them out.
The anti seize isn't for the threads .. LOL

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
To me, it seems like reverse psychology when people recommend removing the plugs while the engine is hot because heat= expansion and cold= shrinkage. Can anyone explain why?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts