Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the track tonight. I left my car in street configuration including spare tire and 3/4 tank of gas. I didn't even let air out of the tires. I'm running 275/40-17 all seasons.

I left the house at 4:30. Its about an hour drive (a little more with road construction). I had to wait about 15 minutes to get in the gate (computer problems) so they're doing manual registration. As I was filling out the forms a guy in a red Mach I said he saw me at dyno day. He was running 385 rwhp. I'm running 396 rwhp. So he asked me to race. Great. My first race in 35 years is a grudge race against a Mach I. I won but that wasn't what I was there for. I was there to get a feel for things again. I was so rusty that during the burnout I bounced off the rev limiter twice before I got off the throttle. I ran a 13.5 and he ran a 13.8.

The track wasn't very busy so I hot lapped 4 runs in 14 minutes. From the time I let home my car had only been shut off for a couple of minutes while I signed the registration form. I don't know where the idea came from that ProChargers can't do hot laps but they are wrong. I ran a 13.494/109.23, a 17.088/67.93, a 13.508/110.4 and a 13.394/110.18. I red lighted on the second run and let off. (I didn't know you got a time for a red light.) But hot laps didn't affect my time at all. In fact, there wasn't any delay between the third and fourth runs There was no one there so I went straight to the burnout box and it was 1/10th faster.

My 60' sucked (2.2-2.3) so I took a break. The fifth run was the best. 13.039/111.48. I bogged coming off the line but the 60' was 2.086. Better, not great.

I ran two more times playing with the launch. They were 13.334/109.77 and 13.595/109.95. The 60' were back up in the 2.2/2.3 range. Evidently you have to bog the motor to get a good 60' on street tires. I'm having a new clutch put in next week so I can put on Nitto 555r's.

For those more experienced than I, are those traps consistent with my horsepower level?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Congrats.........nice to see someone in my age group enjoying themselves again. I hope to do the same sometime this year

·
Cone Killer
928 Posts
prochargers are great with hot lapping. absolutely no decrease in performance for me

I ran back to back 13.1 at 108 with a 2.0 60ft (555's convertible). car made corrected 355rwhp, 387 ft/lbs on a dynamics dyno (tuner said it reads about 5-10% under mustang dynos)

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Congrats! So had the guy in the Mach been out of it for a while also? If he's putting down 385 and runs slower than a stock Mach he has some problems lol

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats! So had the guy in the Mach been out of it for a while also? If he's putting down 385 and runs slower than a stock Mach he has some problems lol
He was running street tires and he said he had clutch problems. I believed him.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Goes to show that tires and suspension are HUGE in drag racing! haha I learned that this past weekend...

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
nice man! makes me itch to get to atco asap since its only about an hour from me.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Not bad man, Id expect a lil higher trap speed but the main thing is to get those 60ft times down and youll be in business. And +1 to Prochargers having no problem hot lapping.

·
Punching Throats
1,246 Posts
haha keep going back!!!! Its addicting as hell lol i think with a good 60 at almost 400 to the wheels and whether you have gears or not you could be low 12's no problem depending on what elevation your at of course. Keep it up!!!!!

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought the trap speed would be a little higher too. But I'm not really disappointed. What I wanted to get from the car was the same performance as my old '66 Dodge that was running a 426 wedge. It ran around 13.0 at 116 mph on street tires. Now that I've baselined this car, I have a target to beat.

P.S. I have sworn to never, ever power shift a daily driver again. Those times are with me granny shifting (speed shifting).

·
Punching Throats
1,246 Posts
You will beat it man, with just true duals on my 01 Camaro SS I had awhile back on Streets my first time ever at a track i ran a 13.0 spinning, and I think i was only maybe putting down 325 - 330 to the wheels.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Your traps are low but it could be lack of traction keeping you back. Typical good run would be on slicks and then you may see traps in the 118 to 120 mph range

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Goes to show that tires and suspension are HUGE in drag racing! haha I learned that this past weekend...

I would have to agree, since that's pretty much all I have in my car. Bolt-Ons and suspension.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Car showed be running very close to 12.0. Get some sticky tires to get those 60' in the 1.8 or better.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can't get sticky tires until I get the clutch replaced. It's pretty much worn out.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts