Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off for those with the short attention span, here is a video:

And now that your done jerkin' off, we will get to the thread.

So I posted that I was having distributor issues,

took me about 3 hours total to figure out the issues. At first thought it was the oil pump shaft I had bought from precision, but that didn't turn out to be it.

I put the explorer dizzy into the block:

and it went all the way down to the block :wtf

I put the two distributors side by side, and everything was the same length and size on the bottom end. So I put the explorer distributor into my old block. and noticed that it was kinda loose in the block..... :wtf

so this gave me the idea to look closer, and thats when I realized the distributor was hitting the block!

So I started grinding on it a little

and BLAMO sank right in!!!

Pictures of the motor together
(before I put the radiator in.)

ran into a few issues.

1.) brake booster line needs to be relocated to the bottom of the upper intake

2.) had to run a spacer.

3.) Throttle bracket won't fit

Which I'm probably just going to flip the throttle body upside down.

4.) pretty sure my coolant reservoir has a crack, as it is leaking steady.

5.) alternator is not charging at idle, and only producing around 2-3 extra volts to the motor at 2000-3000 RPM

and a few other odds and ends, Like I need to remark the dampner timing marks, and shizz.

but over all the first start up went perfect. Fired up on the third rotation of the motor, idled right down real easy.

Nitrous plate was pulling in LOTS of air into the motor. I don't have it hooked up to the nitrous lines, and I was frankly kinda shocked how much air was being pulled into the motor at idle from this thing :eek:
guess the dude wasn't joking when he said they flow enough for a 300 shot per rail. So I blocked that off so it cant pull air.

I still have to verify the chip/cpu is playing with the timing. Didn't find any leaks other then the coolant reservoir, but I would like to check again. double check everything I can think of, then go put this thing on the road :D

I'm sure just like anyone else that has rebuilt there first motor from the ground up, I was kinda expecting the motor to just eat itself somehow upon start up in some sort of catastrophic way. So I was very proud when it started up, and ran so well.

Also showing 55psi oil pressure at idle when cold, and around 40psi oil pressure when up to temp and at idle.:D

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f21/MPsoldier187/MISC/****_Yea_in_HD_by_CrusierPL_RE_Sharenator_is_Growing-s900x773-120811.png

Seems even more throttle responsive then the old motor, but it has been several months for me, so im unsure.

Also I held the motor at around 4,000 rpm's and its SO smooth. Old motor would shake the entire car to death.

so far so good. I still have to get the thing on the ground, and take it for a spin and make it home in one piece before I will feel relived that everything is good. But I feel really accomplished.

Honestly over the last month I have given everything I got to this. Any extra time I have. My days of I was only getting about 5 hours of sleep, because I was waking up at 4am to work on the car until 10am, when my girlfriend leaves for work, and I have to watch my son all day.

Its been REAL tough, but im glad I stuck too it, or else it would be another couple months probably before the thing fired.

I plan on shooting a bunch of videos, so if you guys arn't subscribed to my youtube channel you should be. I will keep you guys updated, and I have my fingers crossed the same crap doesn't happen like it did last year.

with all the drive-ability issues I had, only drove the car about 1,000 miles all of 2010, ETC. car has been in pieces longer then its been driveable in the last year and a half.

anyway, I figured I'd give everyone the details. Hope you enjoyed my long-winded post about my POS car, haha.

let me know what you think.

Rob

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
awesome! it sounded so nice cant wait to see some street vids

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Thats sounds great man. Throttle response does seem nice and crisp. Sounds like you've got your valvetrain set up nice too cause it's quiet as a mouse under that hood. I didn't hear injector clicking or anything.

Interesting issue with the dizzy. Guess that's something to check if you swap to an explorer block with coil packs. Good to know the fix tho cause I'm sure someone will run into it again somewhere.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
so the explorer dizzy is kinda narrower then a stock 5.0?

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats sounds great man. Throttle response does seem nice and crisp. Sounds like you've got your valvetrain set up nice too cause it's quiet as a mouse under that hood. I didn't hear injector clicking or anything.

Interesting issue with the dizzy. Guess that's something to check if you swap to an explorer block with coil packs. Good to know the fix tho cause I'm sure someone will run into it again somewhere.
thanks mang. I got use to setting up the rockers, they use to come loose a lot, I think its from the old motor shaking itself to death :(

so the explorer dizzy is kinda narrower then a stock 5.0?

It would seem that way. I obviously had to modify what I have, but it doesn't mean everyone will have too. Could just be a mismade oem part, ether the block, or my distributor.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
i see, well glad to see your up and running man

·
Banned
980 Posts
Sounds like a TF stage 2.

And for first start up, ran like a champ!

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
ditch the valve covers and itll clear fine, thats what I had to do. Stock height trickflow covers ftw

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Nice...sounds really good

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thats bad ass. the motor doesnt even shake. i like the exhaust sound also. one day ill learn to build engines, lol
yea, this motor is so much smoother then the old one. but the old one had 170,000 miles, and beat to death. But still the difference is extreme:cool:

Damn clean first start up, It's always nice when it goes that way. What cam?
well that video is the 3rd time I fired it. But the first time went just as smooth, I just let it get up to temperature while I added fluid and checked for leaks before I reved it up any.

It took me about a month when I did the head/cam swap on the old motor to figure out that I had stabbed the distributor wrong, and then it took me two to three months to fix bugs.

so I have experence now for **** ups, haha

Sounds like a TF stage 2.

And for first start up, ran like a champ!
didn't reolize we had a pro among us that can tell what cam you have from the sound of the exhaust, exhaust set up be damned.:crazy

Yep, he's running a stage 2
Si

ditch the valve covers and itll clear fine, thats what I had to do. Stock height trickflow covers ftw
I have been reading that the trickflow covers are the shortest ones you can get with the most clearence, So I have been thinking about selling mine, and getting those. I was able to sell my old ford cobra valve covers that came on my car easy as hell so I imagine I could sell these even easier.

Nice...sounds really good

thanks!

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BTW the general comment I keep getting on my youtube video is that my new intake is "too big"........

LAWL

I just reply "I'll remember that when my 302 is walking stroker motor cars."

:cool:

·
Registered
496 Posts
test drive yet? i've been thinking about getting that intake for my 347....kinda in the air about the intake choice

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
test drive yet? i've been thinking about getting that intake for my 347....kinda in the air about the intake choice
boxed upper, ported lower

no test drive yet, few more things to sort, then I will drive it. probably Saturday.

it is too much intake car aint gona idle
nope. going to have to set idle at 1300-1500rpm, and its going to proabably only make 100 foot pounds of torque if im lucky until I hit 4500-5000 RPMS.

going to put "V-TAK" on the valve covers so people know whats up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts