Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I think I'm heading to the local 1/4mile strip tonight. It will be the first time I've taken my 07 gt. Made plenty of passes on my 88gt, 98 gt, and 99 cobra, but I'm still trying to figure this one out. Any recommendations for launch, shift rpm, etc? I will be running the stock 18" BFG's...what should I drop rear tire pressure to? Thanks for the help.

P.s....Any predictions on et/ trap speed with listed mods?? It's about 70 degrees here with medium-high humiditiy

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more thing...Is it worth it to set my front shocks to full soft and my rears to full hard? Will it make a difference?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Depends on what kind of launch you can get with those tires. They arent very wide so its hard to hook up. With a 91 octane brenspeed tune and 4.10 gears, steeda intake, and 275 street tires I got 13.5 with little to no track prep.

I lower my tire pressure to 25 or so, it helps a little. I also launch at around 3k and slip the clutch a bit so I don't light up the tires too much. Also when you shift keep your foot in the gas a little. I have been told that its faster if you do that so the butterflies don't close all the way. Not sure why though.

You def want your rear to squat but im not sure it will make that big of a diff, but I have never used adjustable shocks and I am pretty new to the drag strip :)

You should run mid 13s depending on if you get traction, temp and altitude you are at. I did my 13.5 at sea level at around 100 degrees and 40% humidity or so. I need new tires too, I think if I get a better launch with some DRs I could get 13 flat but we will see.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
let your dspecs down two clicks past where you cruise: rear.. thats soft enough.

leave the fronts alone unless your running skinnies.. set pinion -2.5, drop clutch at 4500.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about shift points?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I shift around 6k rpms, no power shifting for me though. The 3v motors have power till around 6.5k I think...

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Stock motor should shift around 6k, maybe a little less. There isn't really power to be had with a 3v past that...........IIRC a stock head/cam 3v starts dropping off at 5800.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
When I ran with stock tires last year, I kept the RPM at about 3000 or so and slipped the clutch out just fast enough to get a little chirp chirp chirp. Took some practice to get it right though. Then powershifted at about 6300. I ran [email protected] with a JLT CAI, Pypes X pipe, and Hurst shifter, everything else stock. Only got 3 runs in to get the hang of it too. No burnout, just go around the water and spin the tires over real quick to get the dirt off them.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Here's the results...I'm #249. Both launches netted major tire spin. Second run I bogged a little. I attempted dropping the clutch at about 3000 rpm and powershifted at 6000 rpm. I had to run it out a little in 3rd gear to cross the beams. Tire spin in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Not bad at all for the first time. Trap speed is pretty good. If you get the 60' down to 2.0 you'll probably be at 13.3-13.4.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
throw some DR's on there, cut ur 60' to 1.8-1.9 and you have a low 13 second car

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If i put drag radials on the stock 18 x 8.5's would it help alot? What kind of 60ft times are possible on stock wheels/tires? Also, would LCA's help on stock tires?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Yes drag radials on stock rims would help. I got 2.0 with stock pirellis, but I'm sure someone has done better. I would think the LCAs/brakcets would help even with stock tires.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts