Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I am racing my friend next weekend and he has a 2004 v6 performance engine that was rebuilt and it is like a 4.1 motor or something i dont know. but apparently he has a really fast car and I have a v6 2009 mustang. I am looking into some mods that will help me beat him but am not that smart with cars which is why I'm asking you guys.
The first thing I am getting is a tuner. Then next I am getting gears, probably 4.10 with an automatic correct?? Also I was wondering about getting Cams. I havent really read up on them in these forums so idk. Are they good to go on V6s or what? Will they increase my horsepower a good amount?? Im just trying to learn. Thank you for the help in advance and all the help in the past. Also if there are any other mods besides superchargers that you would suggest then please tell me!
P.S. his car has cams and CAI and mine is completely stock..

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
When you consider gears you need to think about what you plan on doing with the car in the future. Do you want to go with a turbo at some point? If so, I'd say 3.73s would be a good choice. Gears will be longer so you can stay in boost longer. If you want to go with a supercharger or stay naturally aspirated, then 4.10s are the way to go. I don't know a whole lot about S197s but I don't believe your car came with a limited slip differential so that's something you'll want to do at the same time as gears (otherwise you'll end up paying twice for the same install).

Cams are great but they can be a bit pricey if you're not able to install them yourself. They should give you a good amount of power and if you go with a "lumpy" cam then you'll get more of than aggressive muscle car sound.

Aside from those mods you should look into a CAI and exhaust. Go with dual exhaust. An h-pipe is a great choice and I personally love Flowmaster American Thunder mufflers on S197s. Of course it's up to you as to what exhaust setup you really want. You can listen to some other S197 V6 members' exhausts here: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-v6/89325-official-4-0-exhaust-thread.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts