Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
MAN these things are fast... I think I’m going to have to make this my next car...

A friend of mine had an 04 STI for the weekend and needless to say we drove it a lot! I couldn’t believe how good the traction was... Also I never knew you could change the differential on the fly... that has to be the best option out there for AWD’s…

Here are two videos...
http://www.travel2photos.com/sti.html

·
Registered
314 Posts
rally racing origin makes for a fun car! Love those cars but man the price is just too much half the time. My buds got an 04 also and he spent like 25k or something for it a while back. U can get a termi and make that thing 500-600hp fast at that price. But racing the subi in autocross is a f****** blast!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the AWD is what sold me i think... I eventually have plans to move to denver which gets a shitload of snow so ive been into AWD cars recently... BUT yea your right they are a little expensive. Ill just have to look around for that killer deal while saving up!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hah, never thought I'd hear this from a Stang forum.

I sold my 91 Galant VR-4 for my Mustang. It's very similar to the STI in that it's 4-cyl turbo AWD and good creature comforts and responds very well to modifications. I do miss the car a little bit.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah im pretty open to all cars except honda...

Ive looked into the vr4's aswell but there arnt to many around where i live... so it was hard to find a good deal

·
Registered
51 Posts
GVR4s have held their value fairly well, so if it's in good shape people will think you're crazy for spending $4-5k on a 19-20 year old family car.

I'm partial to Mitsu, but I would like an STI just as well. Just as long as it's not one of the ugly years.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
Evo> STI

motor and just all around
at least the evo 9s

STI's are infamous for blowing motor mounts, trannys, CRACKING pressure plates and flywheels

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Some thoughts...

Evos are better for the street, STis are better in the dirt/snow/gravel/whatever. I don't know that Mitsubishi has completed a WRC season since the Tommi Mackenen(sp?) era.

Galant VR-4s were basically the Evo 0. They're VERY rare Stateside, I think they maybe imported 3k over 2 or 3 years?

If you want a dyno queen, the Evo's the way to go. The 4G63T *will* put more down on a dyno than an EJ25T. However, there are still a good number of 500+ hp Scoobies out there.

The Subaru tranny issues I've heard of are with the 5-speed WRX tranny, not the 6-speed STi tranny.

With the different motor configurations, the Evo has an advantage of having the center mass of the motor further back, the Scooby has the advantage of having it lower to the ground. Personally, I distrust transverse-mounted motors in an AWD setup.

If it came down to it, I'd rather buy the STi.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Galant VR-4s were basically the Evo 0. They're VERY rare Stateside, I think they maybe imported 3k over 2 or 3 years?
3000... 2000 in 1991, 1000 in 1992. Each had a dash plaque and matching keyfob with its serial number.

·
Penetration before detonation
2,189 Posts
Those Galants are one-of-a-kind sleepers. No one would ever expect to hear a big whoosh from a BOV from a POS Mitsubishi Galant. That 4g63 is awesome, though...

·
Registered
276 Posts
I love both the evo and the sti...

awd is amazing..

i have heard that the sti is one of the worst cars to insure

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
I love both the evo and the sti...

awd is amazing..

i have heard that the sti is one of the worst cars to insure
That really wouldn't surprise me, when the SO and I were carshopping, the difference in insurance between the Cobra and just a base WRX was *insane*. The WRX was 2-2.5 times more expensive.

·
Registered
118 Posts
That really wouldn't surprise me, when the SO and I were carshopping, the difference in insurance between the Cobra and just a base WRX was *insane*. The WRX was 2-2.5 times more expensive.
really? why are they so expensive to insure? seems like AWD would help you keep controll and avoid accidents

1 - 20 of 30 Posts