Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will prob be long....

I got lucky and the rain held Friday the 11th, about 48*F, 30.16 pressure, and 78% humidity, I was the only S197 GT there, and a solid crew of camaro's and GTO, and a G8 that came together. Only a couple camaros were faster than me, one third gen that was low low 11's to 10's, and a cammed + other goodies 2010 camaro that broke and they ended up putting it back on the trailer. Well to my time slips....
First run was bummed, too much tire spin, so scrap that 17 sec run.

Second run....spun top of 1st, hazed/spun the tire through second, and the 60 ft needs to be reworked when the track is prepped better and it warms up some:
2.022 60ft
8.051 1/8 mile
92.7 mph
12.296 1/4 mile
116.07 mph

Third run, really bad traction, again. Races a SS LS1 camaro, put him at my rear bumper on the launch and when I could finally give the car WOT in 3rd I just walked away no problem.
2.162 60ft
8.558 1/8 mile
91.25 mph
12.842 1/4 mile
115.2 mph

Fourth run, More traction problems, and completly missed 3rd, but stayed in it when I did get it in gear.
2.002 60ft
8.174 1/8 mile
87.39 mph
12.572 1/4 mile
112.27 mph on a missed gear

Every run in first I would feather it and about 4000 rpm I felt it had hooked so I would go WOT and the tires would light up, shift second, feather it then go WOT and the tire would spin again, then third would hook. The track was cold and I would burnout longer and longer each time but no luck to get them to hook. On a clean run in good weather I think this car has 11's in it and 12.0's in Tx heat. What do you guys say?

On the 1/8 mile I would run 8.0 N/A regularly, so much needed improvement in the first half of the track is needed.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not lowered, and I have LCA. I did not have a problem with the launch, I did baby it compaired to how I would launch it before the blower, stock clutch with 69,000 miles and still counting...... I did not spin till I went WOT above 4000 rpm. I think a line lock would be the most benificial mod next, the Nitto DR are temperature sensitive and don't stick if they are not warmed up right. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I'm not lowered, and I have LCA. I did not have a problem with the launch, I did baby it compaired to how I would launch it before the blower, stock clutch with 69,000 miles and still counting...... I did not spin till I went WOT above 4000 rpm. I think a line lock would be the most benificial mod next, the Nitto DR are temperature sensitive and don't stick if they are not warmed up right. Just a thought.
I still think they would help you. My 60' times were in the 1.9 range and that was with the stock 235 BFG tires. I could really tell on the 1st to 2nd shift, the tires actually planted.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought they were for lowered cars to correct the geometry. I havent heard of them being used on factory ride height cars to improve traction. I would think an UCA would be first. I havent put much thought in suspention yet. The time seems to be coming though if I cant get hooked up, we will see when the warmer weather comes...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I thought they were for lowered cars to correct the geometry. I havent heard of them being used on factory ride height cars to improve traction. I would think an UCA would be first. I havent put much thought in suspention yet. The time seems to be coming though if I cant get hooked up, we will see when the warmer weather comes...
They are a must for lowered cars but they also can help non lowered cars too.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I'd say ditch the Nittos and get some "real" drag radials.

I couldn't launch (worth a damn) even my weak 265rwhp Mustang on the Nitto 555Rs... Mostly I cut 1.95 to 2.05 60' times with those.

With BFG drag radials I can cut a 1.83 60' (and I think I can improve on that with some practice). Now I almost always beat 1.90 for the 60' time. BTW I'm not bragging cause those 60' are not that great but the BFG tires work a hell of alot better than the Nittos.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
Nice runs Redrocket! Cold weather did hurt you for sure. What is your rwhp and rwtq? I think your tires are fine...3:73s might help a lot too in warmer weather of course.

I'd say ditch the Nittos and get some "real" drag radials.

I couldn't launch (worth a damn) even my weak 265rwhp Mustang on the Nitto 555Rs... Mostly I cut 1.95 to 2.05 60' times with those.

With BFG drag radials I can cut a 1.83 60' (and I think I can improve on that with some practice). Now I almost always beat 1.90 for the 60' time. BTW I'm not bragging cause those 60' are not that great but the BFG tires work a hell of alot better than the Nittos.

I have heard great things about the 555Rs and bad about the BFG's DR's. I am doing 555R's next for sure!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Nice runs! Thats a pretty solid MPH you ran. With practice and traction! you could definently be running low 12's constant. Maybe crack into that 11sec. range!

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
wow man sorry to offend you....I just talked to someone who has tried both and liked to r's more...thats all.

I want MT's but I need thread wear

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
wow man sorry to offend you....I just talked to someone who has tried both and liked to r's more...thats all.

I want MT's but I need thread wear

After you see what kind of burnout you need to make a nitto hook, you'll rethink the treadware idea.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
not really ^^

i had nittos and i heated the HECK out of them...absolutely roasted them to get them hot quite a few times...weird thing was you couldn't even tell! i roasted them pretty good and did the burnout several seconds after smoke showed and when i looked at the tires you really couldn't even tell! i was like hmmm

but you must be talking to the wrong guy scott...rarely do i hear that a nitto hooks better than a bfg. although i did cut 1.84 on the nittos. which is actually pretty crappy considering i cut the same on SUMITUMOS. come on, are you kidding me...BUT on the other hand i did have 35 psi in the nittos and had i lowered the pressure, there is a pretty good chance that i could have gotten 1.7's. i dunno, but i'm kinda leaning towards the bfg as the next tire regardless as i have heard at least 70% of the time that it hooks better than a nitto. but this time i will be running a bit less pressure. we well see how they hold up and then i will decide if they are good enough to keep or just try the nitto again

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Hi Scott.

I wasn't offended at all.

I was just trying to be helpful.

Actually, the Nitto 555R is a nice tire for the street. It has nice traction on the street and lasts alot longer than other drag radials. I just haven't had much luck on the track with them. In fact, I'd say that those tires made me look bad on the track a few times LOL!

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
not really ^^

i had nittos and i heated the HECK out of them...absolutely roasted them to get them hot quite a few times...weird thing was you couldn't even tell! i roasted them pretty good and did the burnout several seconds after smoke showed and when i looked at the tires you really couldn't even tell! i was like hmmm

but you must be talking to the wrong guy scott...rarely do i hear that a nitto hooks better than a bfg. although i did cut 1.84 on the nittos. which is actually pretty crappy considering i cut the same on SUMITUMOS. come on, are you kidding me...BUT on the other hand i did have 35 psi in the nittos and had i lowered the pressure, there is a pretty good chance that i could have gotten 1.7's. i dunno, but i'm kinda leaning towards the bfg as the next tire regardless as i have heard at least 70% of the time that it hooks better than a nitto. but this time i will be running a bit less pressure. we well see how they hold up and then i will decide if they are good enough to keep or just try the nitto again
yeah idk I like the better thread wear..I think they wear better then BFG's

Hi Scott.

I wasn't offended at all.

I was just trying to be helpful.

Actually, the Nitto 555R is a nice tire for the street. It has nice traction on the street and lasts alot longer than other drag radials. I just haven't had much luck on the track with them. In fact, I'd say that those tires made me look bad on the track a few times LOL!
I hear ya man and thanks! See I only go to the track 1 or MAYBE 2 times a year. Only if I get something new to test out! But I want the better thread wear and street hook. I know the 555R's wear well and will be better then my plain 555's. I never do burnouts on the street! And wont drift anymore with dumping all the money i am into it this winter! And I want to go 305/45/18 on my 18's....NOT lowered though!

Can I keep my 255/35/18s with the 45wall in the back and be ok?

·
Free Mouth Hugs
9,037 Posts
I wonder how the NT05R will work out?? What do you all think?? Do any of you guys run M/T on these cars?

·
Registered
745 Posts
a little off topic but what was your rwhp, I dont recall if you posted it in your thread you started before the install. Only curious as we have similar mods and when brenspeed installed mine their dyno was in storage due to being in the process of moving into their new facility.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry for not posting for a while, but they cut the internet off at work and I dont get much time at home for computer play.

I originaly wanted the ET streets, but Discount tire couldnt get them in time for the day I wanted them so I went with the 555DR's, the cold and lack of use killed my traction.

I have no idea what my rwhp/tq is, I have never had it on a dyno. I have a dyno tune planed for early April. But online calculators are showing about 440 rwhp which sounds way to high for a mailorder tune. I would expect about 400-410 rw with the LT's and mailorder and around 430 rw with a dynotune. 480-490 with a small shot of N2O (ready and waiting for a tune)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.