Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an exhaust manifold leak on my mach 1 (55k mi) with long tube headers. I know the gasket is blow (got copper gaskets because I heard they were the best?) and I know for sure the the "header" bolts that are on there now are loose. So my questions are: what is the best way to go about fixing this (lifting the motor out or dropping it?), should I use studs or bolts on the manifold? and also is there anything else I should do down there while I have the motor out?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
417 Posts
If they are just loose, it MIGHT be possible to tighten them up with the motor still in. If not, I would just support the motor and drop the K member out of the way, fix it, then put the K member back in.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I reached in and tighten them down as much as I could (they were really loose) but they still leak just as bad. The gasket is blown I think. Dropping the k member sounds easier; we might have to try that. Thanks

·
Registered
417 Posts
I reached in and tighten them down as much as I could (they were really loose) but they still leak just as bad. The gasket is blown I think. Dropping the k member sounds easier; we might have to try that. Thanks

Dropping the K isn't a bad job at all. Maybe 4 hours for someone that has never done it. Only **** thing is bleeding the brakes after you put all back.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bleeding the brakes? I'm a complete newb so I'm not sure what the is lol. My cousin and I are going to try and do this job. He has been around mechanics all his life but is not actually a mechanic. For me to try to do this on my own would be to sentence my car to death lol

·
Registered
1,600 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
You shouldn't have to bleed the brakes bro dawg

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Use the stock studs where possible.
This is what I was told also but then I snapped the forward most bolt on the passenger side and said, "never again".......my 96 with ARH longtubes now has the Stage 8 bolts.

By the way, buy the Stage 8 bolts in the Stage 8 package, not the FRPP package----you're paying extra for the FRPP name. Compare the prices on Summit Racing and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is there anyway you can give me the link to buy stage 8 bolts. I can't seem to find them. Haha

Thanks for the info you guys. It really does help!

·
11.5:1 or GTFO
12,899 Posts
Definatley get the Stage 8 bolts. I've heard people say just buy the FRPP ones but like stated above, they are prone to break quite often.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for your input everyone! :)

One more question though.. what does everyone think about studs? Any input?

I just want something that will work so I don't have to go into this again lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts