Modded Mustang Forums banner

1041 - 1060 of 1610 Posts

·
He of Long Wind
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,041
I said that to my ex one time, and got flamed really hard for it.
That's why she's an "X". She tried to change you (I assume). If a person finds it almost impossible to willingly change theirself, it's completely absurd to think someone else can change that person. No amount of bitching makes a man be someone he's not. THAT is precisely how most "X's" are formed. You either love someone at face value - or you don't. There can be no "if" in that equation - and it goes both ways.

~

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I don't know if that's the first picture of your garage in here but I wish I had a garage that big. When I have my car in the garage I have maybe 2 or 3 feet on three sides to work with

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
He of Long Wind
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,045
Hi, my name is Terry and I, also, am a messy slob...(HI, TERRY!)
Love it!

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

I don't know if that's the first picture of your garage in here but I wish I had a garage that big. When I have my car in the garage I have maybe 2 or 3 feet on three sides to work with.
There are a few pics of the garage mixed throughout the thread, but most simply to showcase my disasters. I get a lot of comments on the size of the garage. I guess I should take a pic or two from the outside so you guys can see what a shitbox it is. But the building is 32' x 48'. I've had four cars in there before - and I didn't like it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
There are a few pics of the garage mixed throughout the thread, but most simply to showcase my disasters. I get a lot of comments on the size of the garage. I guess I should take a pic or two from the outside so you guys can see what a shitbox it is. But the building is 32' x 48'. I've had four cars in there before - and I didn't like it.
Quit lying...I am tired of hearing you call it a shitbox. I don't even have a garage I can put one car in. :computer:

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Quit lying...I am tired of hearing you call it a shitbox. I don't even have a garage I can put one car in. :computer:
I almost know the feeling. I don't have enough room to pull an engine in my garage.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
He of Long Wind
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,049
Not lying. Here is the entire Mike in Kentucky Kingdom, a few acres in a middle of absolutely nowhere. I mean ... look at the name of my road for crying out loud It's named after a drainage ditch.

If I ever hit the lotto, I have plans for a real garage. My current garage is just a metal pole barn building - metal sides - no insulation - with 8 ft. ceilings. So I can't get a lift in there. If I ever build another garage, it will have 16 ft. ceilings, skylights, 14 ft. entry doors, and a lift. But I'm dreaming ...

~

·
He of Long Wind
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,051
Wow look at all that property. If you wanna get rid of your garage bring it to Maryland for me. I got enough room for it in the backyard.
Eastern Kentucky is a strange place. It's foothill country, but it's not actually hills or mountains. It's a 1,200 ft. plateau cut by glacial run-off. So the entire landscape is basically drainage gorges - we call them "hollers." The point is, there is VERY little flat land. You're either going up at a 45º angle to the ridge, or going down at a 45º angle to the creek. I have about 200 acres here, but not more than 2 or 3 acres that are flat enough to do anything with. The rest is just "hillside" covered in black pines and poplars. So if you want to build something in Eastern Kentucky, you start by hiring a bulldozer ... unless you don't mind leaning for the rest of your life.

~

·
He of Long Wind
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,053
Hate to keep bringing it off topic, but what amount of that acreage actually needs to be mowed?
I have a two different grades of "mowed". There are about 1.5 acres immediately around my house which get mowed and trimmed weekly. Then maybe another 3 or 4 acres which get brush hogged with the tractor a couple times a year. The rest is ATV only. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a two different grades of "mowed". There are about 1.5 acres immediately around my house which get mowed and trimmed weekly. Then maybe another 3 or 4 acres which get brush hogged with the tractor a couple times a year. The rest is ATV only. :)
Sounds awesome. I've been thinking about making the move to Virgina for cheaper living and the improved gun laws. Maryland really sucks.

·
He of Long Wind
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,055
Bondo Monkey

My Dad used to refer to shadetree body men as “Bondo Monkeys.” He was referring to people who use body filler to fill rust holes – without actually repairing the metal. As far as my Dad was concerned, it was practically a criminal act. Making an unsealed body filler repair is often done out of ignorance, laziness, and sometimes for the purposes of deception (to help get rid of the car). Over time, ALL unsealed body filler repairs will fail – but for a few months or years, a crappy Bondo repair can look OK. But sooner or later … THIS happens.

This is the roof of my car. See all that bubbling in the paint along the rear edge? That is ALL the result of a Bondo Monkey. Of course, I knew this when I bought the car. The previous owner was actually a mechanic at Paul Miller Ford in Lexington, KY, but he obviously didn’t work in the body shop. He gave me some excuse about how moisture got under his car-cover during the winter, which caused the paint to “blister.” I knew he was blowing smoke when he said that. Those bulging blobs in the paint aren’t blisters – in fact they’re not a paint defect at all. Those bulging blobs are caused by unsealed Bondo which has absorbed moisture, softened, and expanded. Whoever did the body work didn’t repair the metal first, they simply covered-up a rust hole with a blob of Bondo. I took a utility knife and scratched off the old Bondo, and sure enough – the original metal damage was still there.

I knew I was going to have to repaint the roof of this car since day one. I have just been putting it off. But since my truck project went so well, I’m feeling motivated to dig into this repair. I mean … it all has to get done. So those Battle Boxes and oil galley plugs can wait another week or two. I already had most of the body tools out anyway – so why not knock this out?

The first step in any body repair is to get down to the bare metal so you can see what you’re working with. Then you have to grind or cut out all the rusted metal until you get back to good solid metal. Only THEN can you start the repair. Obviously, this means a big mess with lots of sanding, scraping, sparks, torches, etc. So before getting started, I took off the back hatch (with some help) and removed the sunroof. Then I taped and baggied up the openings to keep all the mess from getting inside the car. I also covered up the engine and fenders with my big dropcloth. That should keep the mess at bay …

First, I offer this brief lecture on behalf of my Dad. Spot repairing automotive sheet metal is properly done by one of two methods: welding in new metal (best for large structural pieces), or filling the holes with lead (best for small holes and seams). You should not use a single molecule of body filler – EVER - until the metal surface of the panel is sound, sealed, and continuous. Body filler is NOT a metal repair. The body filler only helps you shape the panel’s contour – to fill low spots and such. When it’s all over, the body filler must be sealed between good metal and the paint – where it cannot absorb moisture. That’s the ONLY proper way to use body filler. Otherwise, you’re a criminal Bondo Monkey – at least according to Dad.

So I started digging out the rusty spots, and there are some dandy ones. So far I haven’t found a single proper metal repair. Every rusty spot was just Bondo’d over, sanded and painted. So I have to dig ALL that crap out of there first.

Then I have to grind out all the rusty metal – even the tiny pin holes. Then I’m going to fill most of the holes with lead. I’ll give a thorough report on that as I go – I understand that leading is a dying art (another gift from my Dad). I even have the little wooden paddles and the lead crucible. Woo-hoo!

While I’m at it, I’ll also need to give my hatch a little attention. It has a little surface rust around the bottom lip and in some random spots. So I’ll wheel it down, repair it, and repaint the underside while I’m at it.

This is going to take a little while. There are many layers of paint on this roof and they all have to come off. So I’m just going to chip away at it one section at a time. I keep reminding myself … it’s a hobby. However long it takes is however long it takes. I’ll probably keep this car until I retire, so it’s worth the time to fix it right. No need to be a criminal Bondo Monkey. Back on the job tomorrow. Will report.

~

·
He of Long Wind
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,056
Filling Holes

Had a couple hours today. I removed more of the old paint, bondo, fiber mesh, and other hidden treasures buried on my roof. The more I went, the worse it got. I discovered plenty of sheet metal cancer that's going to need treatment. This is going to take a little while. I spent some time pouring lead bars, then decided to do a spot test and work on my leading technique.

Here is a nice rusty hole that was about the size of your thumb once I trimmed out the bad metal. I removed all the gunk, wire wheeled the site, and applied some paste flux. Then I filled the hole in with lead. Keep in mind, this is NOT a finished repair. This is just the underlying metal repair. As you can probably tell, I tapped down the edges of the metal, so the repair site is slightly countersunk below the correct contour. That leaves me some room to properly smooth the contour with body filler. But this time the body filler won't be filling in rust holes; it will be sealed - so it won't swell and bubble up later.

This sample was a very easy horizontal fill. I'm afraid some of the other spots will be much more challenging. Liquid lead doesn't really have a "gummy" stage like melting steel. The lead seems to go straight from a solid to a very runny liquid. But if you are careful with the torch control, and you get the temp just right, you can get the lead to be paste-like. That makes it possible to work it into vertical surfaces, but it's very tricky. A little too much heat, and your fill runs off. Too little heat and lead doesn't adhere and balls up. I love a challenge - so this is going to be fun.

Will go at it some more after church tomorrow.

~

·
He of Long Wind
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,058
I'm sure it's gonna look nice! Man, you must REALLY not wanna pull that engine.
My wife said the very same thing. Fine! OK! I admit it, all right? I don't want to pull that motor. Dammit! Somehow I knew you would rub that in. I shouldn't have made fun of your uninstalled k-member. Karma. :)

·
Bo Baustin
13,134 Posts
I'm sure it's gonna look nice! Man, you must REALLY not wanna pull that engine.
In his shoes after the rear main and vc gasket deal I wouldn't want to either.

I have learned quite a bit from this thread, and its still going. Youre a teacher Mike, even if you don't intend to do it that way. I'm excited to see the update Monday morning.

1041 - 1060 of 1610 Posts