Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the flex-a-lite 220 puller fan. Everything seems to be OK but when a pulled the fuse to check how many volts it was drawing I noticed the fuse was quite hot. It didn't burn me but I am concerned about it. Is this to be expected

I use 12 gauge wire as per the instructions and the wire was not hot at all.

jjg

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
what size fuse

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a 30 amp fuse.

jjg

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I assume the power line goes directly to the fan relay and then directly to the fan and you have a good ground. If yes, then nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Keep an eye on the fuse, If it starts to deform and look melted over time, then you have a problem, If the wire isn't hot it could be something as simple as a defective fuse, I've run into that every so often. You're probably fine, just make sure you check it periodically to be safe.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I assume the power line goes directly to the fan relay and then directly to the fan and you have a good ground. If yes, then nothing to worry about.
There is no relay. Its the less expensive model fans with no thermostat. The wiring is from the battery to a toggle switch back to the fan.

Last night I shortened the ground wire to 2 feet using 10 gauge wire hoping that might help.

It sounds like the general consensus is it will be OK just watch the fuse.

Thanks everyone
jjg

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
No relay? I would check the amp rating on the switch in that case. Did the switch come in the box with the fan or did you get the switch on your own?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the switch on my own. Its a 30 amp switch w/light, I purchased it for about 8 bucks which sounds cheap ..... maybe too cheap.

The fan is suppose to draw 19.5 amps but I haven't checked that out yet.

jjg

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Yeah, wire it with a relay. It is worth the $10 and hour of time not to have the car burn to the ground do to an electrical fire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts