Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got done with a ton of work, clutch, headers, synchros on my 2000 GT.
Got the flex plate refinished before reinstall, shop didn't say there was anything wrong with it when I took it in. All is well.
So last weekend, took me three tries to get her started, bendix wasn't contacting the flywheel. Automatically I take the starter off, and get it tested.
It passed, but the bendix rattled back and forth a little too rapidly for me, so I replaced it.
Fast forward to this Friday, started the car up, had to turn it right back off, went back in my job to get my ID and came back out to start it. Bendix doesn't contact the flywheel. So, my question is:

Could the process used to refinish the flywheel make it more brittle? Is this why I may have lost teeth?

I haven't physically checked, I plan on doing it tomorrow. It was a chilly SOB today. Just sucks trying to look through the inspection port on the trans to see. Thanks for reading, Happy New Year!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The starter is new as of Xmas Eve, the machining I would assume heats up the flywheel. I have to look, however, I think it's teeth missing. It's only happened twice, and it was this past Friday, then again this evening.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Do you even see teeth on the flywheel? I've never seen anyone machine a flywheel without removing the ring gear. A torch applied evenly to the ring gear allows removal in about a minute or two, then after machining a simple reheating and drop the ring gear back on to the flywheel. There's a chance they simply forgot to put the ring gear back on the wheel. Can you see teeth?

·
Watch n learn
876 Posts
^Lol, he said he started it once already, must have teeth. If its missing teeth it would be very easy to diagnose without even getting under the car, just turn over the engine by hand and try to start it.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
^Lol, he said he started it once already, must have teeth. If its missing teeth it would be very easy to diagnose without even getting under the car, just turn over the engine by hand and try to start it.
Yes he did didn't he. I missed that, my bad.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I was wondering where you were going with that... LOL
To be exact I changed the clutch in the last week of October, and since then no problem until last weekend. So, either I had a misaligned starter, the teeth were brittle considering it's a 13 yr old flywheel. Either way, I gotta get under the car and look. Too many possibilities out there to speculate. Is it possible to just replace the ring gear? Instead of having to buy a whole new one.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Probably possible but i've never had occasion to attempt to source the ring gear only. With the starter removed have someone turn the engine at the crank while you visually inspect the ring gear teeth as mentioned before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts