Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 GT procharged and recently the temperature gauge has been fluctuating you know my digital readout it's been going between 140° and 280°. Is it possible I have an air bubble in line or a bad temperature sensor???

·
Registered
728 Posts
Welcome to MM.
....................................." recently the temperature gauge has been fluctuating "..........did you do anything to the car just before it started to happen ??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to MM.
....................................." recently the temperature gauge has been fluctuating "..........did you do anything to the car just before it started to happen ??
the only thing I did to the cooling system was about a month ago. Just some coolant additive, believe it was Royal Purple ice water. The majority of the cooling system is upgraded I'm running a single fan setup 3 core radiator 180° thermostat. The water pump is stock, and I did burp the cooling system. Strange thing is it's happened twice within 2 weeks and it's always been after a long drive stopping somewhere and immediately after starting it the temperature warning comes on. Either way I appreciate the answers I have it in the shop for other things so it will be fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes to both. Another possibility to consider is a sticking thermostat.
I changed the thermostat out about a year ago to 180°. That is possible although all hoses are warm and it doesn't take overly too long to warm up. The head temperature never went above 210 that's why I'm thinking it has to be the thermostat if not it's in the shop right now and I'll have the head gaskets changed out to be on the safe side. I'm having the motor built in October but I won't wait and let it sit until then.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes to both. Another possibility to consider is a sticking thermostat.
We will deal with a similar issue on my buddy's new GT project. The previous owner wasn't sure what his son did on the rad and he suspects air in the system. We'll just finish installing the new rotors and toyo tires on the Raptor this week before we can clear the garage.

·
Resident Headbanger
2,441 Posts
It's easy to bleed any air out of the cooling system. Just park the car slightly nose up (or jack it up), remove the expansion reservoir cap, start the engine from cold, and turn the heater on max with the temperature dial at its highest setting. This should cause the coolant level in the reservoir to drop as the air is evacuated, so top it up slowly until the bubbles cease.
After a 10+ minute drive, allow the engine 4+ hours to cool down, check the coolant level in the expansion reservoir again, and top up if necessary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts