Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 gt. I am getting ready to upgrade my cooling system and want some advice from those who may have one of these installed on there stang. I've read reviews about Mishimoto being bad about leaking and i'm kinda skeptical. but i also don't know anything about Fluidynes quality either. So some education on a superior radiator would be appreciated. also feel free to mention any other brand that may be better.

1994-95 Mustang Fluidyne 3 Row Aluminum Radiator with Manual Transmission at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

1994-95 Mustang Aluminum Radiator for Manual Transmission by Mishimoto at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a mishimoto. The only problem I had was wen it came the drain on the side was broken but when I took that out and put a regular plug i have had zero problems. works great.

I also had to eliminate my ABS cause it would hit the radiator because it was wider. Didnt really car cause it didnt work anyway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
see i heard that because of the oversize it likes to flex causing it to leak. also something about the core being epoxied instead of a brazed core. idk though. just what i've heard. how long have you had it? how much bigger than stock side to side would you say.

·
Resident Headbanger
2,419 Posts
The core is brazed and the build quality of the Mishimoto radiator is at least as good as the Fluidyne for 1/2 the cost. Some Mishimoto radiators did have leaking issues due to excessive flexing with the stock mounts, but Mishimoto solved this by providing their own custom mounts with thicker rubber inserts.
I've been running a Mishimoto radiator for 3-1/2 years.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Which ever one you can get the cheapest is my vote. I've had a Fluidyne for years with no problems.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well in the process of the cooling upgrade i'm replacing a bad power steering pump. And as i attempted to pull the pulley off i have broken two pulley pullers, heat and penetrant has not worked, so i just wanted to get the old one out and new one in thinking i'll just replace the pulley. So i damaged the original only to find out that the part is obsolete and no one carries them. So i'm currently searching with no luck, so the mishimoto's price is becoming very tempting.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
just get a stock repalcement....ive had no cooling issues ever....ford did a good job when it came to the radiators in our cars, spend the money you save on some thing else

my stock radiator lasted about 10 years and would have lasted longer if i hadent installed the zip ties that hold an electric fan to the radiator....

I then replaced the radiator will a 3 row from auto zone, it was a slight improvment over stock and ive had that on another 10 years.....still no cooling or leak issues, i just dropped a 331 stroker in so i havent used it enough to know if im going to have an problems but so far so good

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had leaking Fluidyne, and ordered Champion. First one was badly brazed, but I got new from warranty. Cools fine with 180 thermostat, I lowered ecus fan switching temps. Decent but cheap rad!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have a Mishimoto with only minor adjustments. Brackets for top I cut and welded. Cut new slot for overlow at botton of bracket drilled two new holew at top of overflow ccrm bracket. The anti lock needed to be moved back also. Then I was a looking and some thinking person put a 19lb cap on this new radiator. Ok for radiator new hoses and engine but, heater core is around 3 years old. Off to NAPA and 703-1446 is a 16lb cap that fits the radiator.

·
Registered
247 Posts
PS pulley, I looked for a pulley also. CarQuest, Napa, Advance, Auto Zone, Dealer, were no. Salvage yard yes. Seen awile back someone got pulley at Pep Boys or was it O' Reilleys?

·
Registered
176 Posts
i had leaking fluidyne, and ordered champion. First one was badly brazed, but i got new from warranty. Cools fine with 180 thermostat, i lowered ecus fan switching temps. Decent but cheap rad!
hi how did you lower the fan switching temp? With my turbo kit and a 160 thermostat i still get nervous as the gauge touched the "a" on "normal" when before the turbo kit and a 195 thermostat it never went past the "m" thanks

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've only heard good things about mishimoto from the 240 crowd, I don't think it'd be much different overall.. i mean.. its a radiator.. I'd go with mishimoto if I were you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
hi how did you lower the fan switching temp? With my turbo kit and a 160 thermostat i still get nervous as the gauge touched the "a" on "normal" when before the turbo kit and a 195 thermostat it never went past the "m" thanks
I have Quarterhorse, it's very simple to adjust. Or you could get j3 module and programming device from moates.net and then you can modify your settings and much more.

·
Registered
176 Posts
i have quarterhorse, it's very simple to adjust. Or you could get j3 module and programming device from moates.net and then you can modify your settings and much more.
thank you very much for the info. I recently purchased a mishimoto 3 core rad just to see if it would work and that did the trick. No more heat issues and the rad bolted right up. With a 160 degree thermostat the car stays cooler then ever. Best $225.00 upgrade to date!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've had my Mishimoto for about 2 years now and my car runs a lot cooler than it did with the stock one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you just look at Mishimoto and Fluidyne, can't really say one is better than the other as far as cooling performance go. The fluidyne unit is a 2row 1" tube, Mishimoto is 3row 5/8" tube, therefore fluidyne has higher tube to fin contact which is good. Mishimoto's unit will cause more pressure drop so even in the lab they can demonstrate their performance, in reality it wont deliver 100%. I'm not sure about the quality on either unit tho.

·
Registered
201 Posts
ive gone through two mishimoto ones and as far as im concerned and opinion wise, they suck!!!! going fluidyne!! problem with mishimoto, it would leak at the 6 month mark, the construction of that radiator was horrible..

·
Resident Headbanger
2,419 Posts
ive gone through two mishimoto ones and as far as im concerned and opinion wise, they suck!!!! going fluidyne!! problem with mishimoto, it would leak at the 6 month mark, the construction of that radiator was horrible..
The Fluidyne has also been known to leak after 6 months so good luck with that, especially since the Fluidyne is much more expensive than the Mishimoto.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts