Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas I just purchased a new Exedy stage 1 clutch, ford racing pilot/throw out bearing, clutch fork and I bought a Ford Racing billet steel 8 bolt flywheel. Well stupid me didnt realize I needed 6 bolt bc I have a 2003 Mustang. So im going to take the flywheel back and now im trying to decide if I should get a Ram billet flywheel or centerforce billet steel flywheel? I would get the exedy billet steel flywheel but American Muscle is sold out of them and I need my car running soon. Also I need to make sure if the clutch disk diameter gor the flyeheel is 10.5 or 11in? I think its 11 but want to be sure.

Thanks for any help!

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
doesnt matter since you are going with an aftermarket flywheel. It will be drilled and tapped for bothh 11 and 10.5

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
Hey fellas I just purchased a new Exedy stage 1 clutch, ford racing pilot/throw out bearing, clutch fork and I bought a Ford Racing billet steel 8 bolt flywheel. Well stupid me didnt realize I needed 6 bolt bc I have a 2003 Mustang. So im going to take the flywheel back and now im trying to decide if I should get a Ram billet flywheel or centerforce billet steel flywheel? I would get the exedy billet steel flywheel but American Muscle is sold out of them and I need my car running soon. Also I need to make sure if the clutch disk diameter gor the flyeheel is 10.5 or 11in? I think its 11 but want to be sure.

Thanks for any help!
That's a very common mistake, Ford should have just made them all the same bolt pattern lol! Both the Ram and Centerforce Flywheels are great and I'm confident you'll be extremely happy with both of these set ups. Just about anything paired up with an Exedy clutch is good to go!

Your clutch diameter is 11in. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or would like some assistance. Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I wanted a lighter flywheel, but not a featherweight aluminum unit having had and been annoyed by them in the past.

So I replaced it with a Ralco RZ Chromoly flywheel that weighs 16 lb 9 oz (as compared to the 26 lb 3 oz stock unit). The Ralco flywheels are not cheap ($265), however they are things of beauty--CNC machined from one-piece of 4140 Chromoly , precision balanced, and meeting SFI 1.1 specs (rated to 12k rpm).

For some reason they are not well known in the Mustang community however I have used them for years on other cars. For my '03 GT I paired it with a RAM HDX clutch and now have 35k miles with no problems and very brisk acceleration in the lower gears...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thats what I thought it was.

doesnt matter since you are going with an aftermarket flywheel. It will be drilled and tapped for bothh 11 and 10.5
Ok thanks a lot dude! I ended up getting the Ram billet flywheel.

Why dont you get an aluminum flywheel?
I just want something that can stand up to the power and abuse I will put it through. I heard aluminum cant take much strain.

I suggest adding a pivot ball/stud into that mix of parts. It is very likely that it has a worn area on it from the clutch fork

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I bought a new pivot/ball stud. Mine is really screwed up so is the TOB. It is literally so noisy and rough when I spin it with my hand.

That's a very common mistake, Ford should have just made them all the same bolt pattern lol! Both the Ram and Centerforce Flywheels are great and I'm confident you'll be extremely happy with both of these set ups. Just about anything paired up with an Exedy clutch is good to go!

Your clutch diameter is 11in. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or would like some assistance. Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
Thank you so much Dan, I went ahead and bought a Ram billet steel flywheel, I cant wait to get it installed. Btw I really do appreciate your help. American Muscle is the best place for Mustang parts!

I wanted a lighter flywheel, but not a featherweight aluminum unit having had and been annoyed by them in the past.

So I replaced it with a Ralco RZ Chromoly flywheel that weighs 16 lb 9 oz (as compared to the 26 lb 3 oz stock unit). The Ralco flywheels are not cheap ($265), however they are things of beauty--CNC machined from one-piece of 4140 Chromoly , precision balanced, and meeting SFI 1.1 specs (rated to 12k rpm).

For some reason they are not well known in the Mustang community however I have used them for years on other cars. For my '03 GT I paired it with a RAM HDX clutch and now have 35k miles with no problems and very brisk acceleration in the lower gears...
That is a nice flywheel, I have never heard of them before. I already bought a Ram flywheel though... Thanks for the idea though man!

Guys thank you so much for the help you have no idea how much I appreciate it!

I need to post up pictures of my old parts to show how worn out they were.:eek:

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Aluminum takes a ton of abuse and cheaper to recondition when changing clutch in the future

Sent from my LG-AS680 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Really? Well crap, I guess I shouldnt talk lol. I heard it from one of the guys at the transmission shop who was against aluminum flywheels...

Btw F8L GT your stang is sick and that track time is impressive. That was without nitrous right?

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Correct. That's stock long block N/A. 260whp. It will go quicker, just need to get the trans sorted out

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Correct. That's stock long block N/A. 260whp. It will go quicker, just need to get the trans sorted out

Nice, I definitely cant wait to do some work to my car to shut some of the nay sayers up about 2v Mustangs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts