Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to find out something. someone told me its not good to run a light weight flywheel on your car if your driving for a long distance. i was looking to get a fidanza one but now not sure if i should go with the billet steel of the alum.. and this is for an 04' mach 1

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so then just go with the alum. one then. i think its only like 12.5lbs. and the billet steel is around 25lbs.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
The only reason I have heard people complain about aluminum fly wheels is the loss of low end grunt. The aluminum fly wheel makes the engine rev easier, but less rotating mass means a little bit more rpm's to get the car moving. In general a aluminum one is a good thing, pretty rare that the iron one is better.

·
Ginger with No Soul
1,124 Posts
Aluminum flywheels are not recommended for daily driving because they will warp after time. If you want something durable, and the car is used for more than just the track, you'll want a steel flywheel.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Who has had them warp? I always hear people say that but I have never actually heard a real case of it. I thought the steel plate that you bolt to the flywheel for the clutch to contact took care of that anyway.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i want to got with the fidanza... but not sure to go with the alum. or billet steel

·
Registered
80 Posts
Since there is such controversy here, just get both and use the steel one for everyday use and then when you feel the need to hit the track swap it out with the Alum :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
god dont you wish it was that easy...:D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Aluminum flywheels will warp with every day use.
thats BS.... I DD drove mine with a alum flywheel in chicago traffic with O problems.... and when I switch to the C4 set up... I sold it to a friend which had everything check and it was perfect other then just replacing the steel insert

on that note he DD drives in downtown chicago traffic and has been for 1.5 years with O issues.....

and my other buddy has had his longer then I had mine and he has almost 35k on it with no issues

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
thats BS.... I DD drove mine with a alum flywheel in chicago traffic with O problems.... and when I switch to the C4 set up... I sold it to a friend which had everything check and it was perfect other then just replacing the steel insert

on that note he DD drives in downtown chicago traffic and has been for 1.5 years with O issues.....

and my other buddy has had his longer then I had mine and he has almost 35k on it with no issues
+1 ive got a bunch of friends running the allum flywheel, and have been for awhile now. more than 25k miles, DD. and 0 problems :yes

ive heard good things from the fidanza and the spec. no bad stuff yet.

yea if you road race then 'generally' u want the allum and if u drag then 'generally' u want the steel. but if you only hit the drag if once in awhile i dont think youll have a major problem, especially if the cobras came with them.

·
Registered
135 Posts
+1 ive got a bunch of friends running the allum flywheel, and have been for awhile now. more than 25k miles, DD. and 0 problems :yes

ive heard good things from the fidanza and the spec. no bad stuff yet.

yea if you road race then 'generally' u want the allum and if u drag then 'generally' u want the steel. but if you only hit the drag if once in awhile i dont think youll have a major problem, especially if the cobras came with them.
thats true to a point... when drag racing a mod motor car you need to leave at a high RPM and with the alum flywheel it wont shock the drivetrain as hard so it helps a little from breaking drivetrain parts.... all you really need to do running a alum over the stock iron flywheel is launch about 500 rpm higher and it wont effect the 60' at all.... I ran many 1.6s N/A with the alum and even dipped into the 1.5s sometimes on a great track and that was on a D/R...

·
Registered
5 Posts
okay now that i came cross this thread i dont know what to get the alum or the steel.....

i use my 04 mach for daily some what aggressive driving and a little run every full moon..

so what should i get?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts