Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
should i replace my flywheel when i do my clutch or just get it machined,if i do replace what should i get aluminum or another steel one?

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
i havent done anything to mine and ive changed clutches prolly 3 times.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haven't took tranny out yet but heard are cars are known for are flywheels getting hotspots on them

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
If you have the money you can get a new one, aluminum being recommended. If you only have about $45 handy though, just get it resurfaced. Hot spots will be removed when it is machined. Cracks are rare and normally only appear after severe abuse.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Haa that ****** is crazy azz hell!
I would replace it, y not? A good flywheel like fidanza is a step up from stock and u got the tranny pulled out anyway mind as well

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanx zinc,i'll have the money for a new one when the time comes, just don't want to waste the money if its not necessary to replace it

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
when I replaced my clutch with the stage 2, I went ahead and changed the flywheel to a spec aluminum one. But I say if yours is fine and your not going to do much to the car might as well just keep what you have

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haa that ****** is crazy azz hell!
I would replace it, y not? A good flywheel like fidanza is a step up from stock and u got the tranny pulled out anyway mind as well
thats the brand i was considering but undecided on aluminum or steel.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
when I replaced my clutch with the stage 2, I went ahead and changed the flywheel to a spec aluminum one. But I say if yours is fine and your not going to do much to the car might as well just keep what you have
how do you like the aluminum flywheel?
also i plan on supercharging it in the spring so i don't know if that makes a difference in what flywheel to get?

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
It's not needed. It's just a added item. The aluminum will free up a little bit of hp through rotational mass. It's not a necessity.

If you're supercharging it, make sure you get a clutch that you KNOW will handle the power output.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Yeh fidanza makes a good product, that's deff wat I'ma get and I'll prob go with the aluminum. It cost more but I'd have spend the extra cash and get the better product, even it means bein broke for a while ha

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I'm happy with mine. I did the 04 engine, clutch and flywheel all at the same time, So I of course couldn't tell what hp or anything I gained..But Its a great thing to do while your changing the clutch for sure.

The s/c can handle the stock flywheel, so that's not going to make a difference it witch flywheel you choose.

·
April 2012 ROTM
4,739 Posts
just make sure you do something with it! either new or resurfaced!....note my signature pic...yes thats the tranny on the ground...and yes im putting the clutch back together, and yes its the SECOND TIME IN LESS THAN 6 MONTHS!! lol

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Second time in six months?! Wat the hell u bein doin to that poor tranny??

·
April 2012 ROTM
4,739 Posts
Its not the tranny thats the problem...its the dumb ass (me) that put it all back together without doin anything to the flywheel! lol clutch came back from centerforce yesterday and Im pickin up a rear main seal in about an hour so this Sunday its all goin back together and the blower build begins! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts