Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive tried two different fm transmitter for my ipod...and they both sucked...very crappy signal...does anyone know of one that puts out the strongest signal? someone told me if i unscrew my antenna i will get better reception? any suggestions would help....i dont want to replace my stock mach 460 unit and i know its almost impossible to hook it up directely

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
Without replacing the stock head unit, crappy is the best you can get. All of the "wireless" units have to meet FCC guidelines for transmitting power (so the 80 year old lady next to you doesn't get any bleed over) and the wired option usually needs a switch to turn it on and off, plus several cables to make it work and it is not the most user friendly way to set it up. The radio in your car is using 7 year old technology at best, and the newer aftermarket units have a lot of good and easy to use iPod controls, and the sound quality is as close to CD as you could ask for. just my .02.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man...its just that i like the stock head unit for some reason....so i might try an "fm modulator"...a freind of mine says it will give me a better sound ?

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
Yes. The best one will be a box with two rca leads (that connects the audio to the iPod) a power and ground lead (to turn it on and off) and two antenna leads, one in (from the stock antenna) and one out (to the radio). Most any stereo shop will either have them or can get them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i got a lighter-plug in transmitter from target that you can either plug ur IPOD into or plug a thumb drive into for about $15, works great

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Always go with one that charges your IPOD. This means the Transmitter has a lots of power to boosts the signal. Now you will get good connection on some channels. But i have to say with my mustang the signal kinda stucks but at sometimes its really good. But with my 2007 Liberty it works Very well. i have a DLO. I know Monster is pretty good company too.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
well thisis a long adn drawn out solution.. I have an XM radio with a Terk direct connect kit. what this kit does is cuts off my cars antenna when the XM unit is on and just takes my XM signal and pumps it into the radio via the weak onboard fm transmitter...

what this does for my IPOD is to also cut the cars antenna off allowing the IPOD FM modulator to work cleaner and easier. I took my XM out for about a month and my IPOD signal was crappy. I had to switch 4 different channels on the way to work just to keep a decent signal... I never had to deal with it with the XM in. I now put my XM back in, mainly because I like the clarity it allows my IPOD to have.

More than likely not the solution you are looking for but....

I actually remember seing an article on the interweb about taking a Belkin tune cast and cracking it open adn soldering a AM round antenna tot he stock little antenna chip inside... Guy that did that said he got great results with it as it allowed for better transmitting ability, but My thinking is he is still putting out the same feeble ammount of power.. But it is a thought. wire it in and hide it behind radio.

Good luck regardles.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just ended up trying them all in the best buy parking lot and the belkin gives the best sound quality and reception...the lady at the return desk wasnt to happy that i returned 3 transmitters in 20 minutes...it sounds just as good as a cd on most songs...but thanks for all the info guys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts