Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took this on as my first real project on the stang. A little ricerish, but it looks great in person. A few mishaps slowed me down but I wanna thank wraith for getting my all the info I needed to get the job done.

Basically I took out the accessory port on the center console, replaced it with a switch, ran the wiring from there to the footwells (under the cupholders and around the shifter), and used the power/ground wires from the accessory port.

Pretty clear path of where I was going to run the wires:

Where accessory port used to be:

Drivers side:

Passangers side:

I'm quite happy with it and can't wait to get started on something else (preferably a mod that will give my sixxer a little more power instead though :p)

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
looking good bro... good job:yes

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
nice! the output looks low on those LED's. I assume they werent High Output ones? looks great and has a low glow to them. Blue is a color thats really neat as an accent color for lighting when it doesnt SCREAM in your face!

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They're actually quite a bit brighter than the pictures show. I used the camera on my phone so I couldn't change the exposure to let more light in.

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
looks like when i had them under my dash...and same way i wired them up...however after 6 months i got tired of them and took them out...

·
Registered
817 Posts
Looks nice......get better pics tho....

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol I'll see if I can find my decentish camera (it's hiding somewhere since I moved)

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
that's pretty neat looking

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Couldn't find my camera but here's a slightly better pic. Shows a little better how much light it puts out :)

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
Looks cool. I like red more so I would do that if I ever did this project, but, different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I think that is cool. Dont the 2010 GTs have that option for ambient lighting? But do yours stay on all the time or when the door opens?? I would just have it come on when i open the door.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think that is cool. Dont the 2010 GTs have that option for ambient lighting? But do yours stay on all the time or when the door opens?? I would just have it come on when i open the door.
Yeah I'm pretty sure the 2010s and 2009s have the ambient lighting option. Though if you've looked at buying a kit online, it's $200 and this set up was much cheaper. List:

2x LED strips: $8.00 (found another seller that I can get strips for $2.00 each -shipped-)
LED Switch: $8.00 (at Advanced Auto -ones I got online were too small)
Wires: $5.00 (got 2 spools, 40ft each, red for power black for ground)
Super Glue: $1.00 (4 pack, used a tiny bit to hold the switch in place)
Electric tape: had it laying around but I'd guess a few dollars for a roll

That came to a grand total of ~$23.00 if you already have electrical tape, wire cutters, and screw drivers. The only other thing the ambient lighting option has that I didn't install is a "light string" in the cup holder. You can pick one of those up for $20.00 at Advanced Auto or cheaper online. Wiring it all up isn't hard at all (maybe I'll do a write up when I add the cupholder lights eventually) and the whole project can be done for under $50, which sure as hell beats $200 for a kit without professional installation (more if you pay a shop to do it).

And I have my lights wired to a switch which took the place of the accessory port that used to be on the center console. Technically it's illegal to drive with them on so I needed a way to turn them off quickly if a cop comes in sight but be able to cruise with them on at night. A switch was a simple solution. The lights can be set up to turn on when the doors open or when the head lights turn on but you'd have to talk to wraith about exactly how to set all that up :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts