Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright first I just want to say how amazing the guys at Bama and AM.com are. My tune on my car is simply sick. I loaded up the tune expecting to lose power or something worse and its just spot on. The idle is right at 800 rpm. The rev limiter is around 6500 maybe a tad bit higher (I didnt want to hit it too long) and the car went sideways going into 2nd gear. Oh and its just the 93 performance tune.... I might toss on the 93 race tune this weekend for fun :) MPG is awesome as well barely went down and I was on the throttle the whole time. Car has a light fuel smell from the H-pipe and almost none from the exhaust as compared to the strong smell before... granted the h-pipe is probably leaking.

Anyways I just had a question for anyone running a custom tune or for any of the AM guys. I noticed when I loaded up my custom tune that the SCT tuner said I had 5 unlocks left. I looked around at the options for a tune I can do myself (sorry I cant remember what the exact menu name was) and when I selected it after loading my custom Bama tune it said I could copy the old tune or edit the old tune. Does that mean I can edit the tune the guys at Bama have put on the car? Like say I add a supercharger I could get it dyno tuned using the old tune setup and add stuff here and there for the supercharger? The main thing I want to know is can I adjust little things here and there like the idle speed and have TCS turned off when I start the car and still keep the Bama tune installed. I dont want to have to email the guys at AM.com and have them just adjust a little thing here and there and send me a completely new tune.

·
Registered
272 Posts
When you are going to upload the tune it will give you the option to ''adjust options'' you can change some things in there.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
if you are unable to change all the basic parameters like idle rpm, gear ratio, tire ratio, ect then just email them and have them unlock the basic parameters so you can change them. they'll email you the same tunes with those unlocked for you to change

·
Registered
597 Posts
just go to stragety tune and hit adjust options, everything you mentioned is in their.

·
Registered
371 Posts
On my Bama tune before the turbo they had all of the options locked except for the very basic ones.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
if you add a SC you will need a new tune.
right now you can change certain things like mentioned above like rpms, wheel revs/mile, gears, etc.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome that's good to know. Ill se if I can change the TCS options and just get a quick vid of it at a low idle speed. It says 5 unlocks does that mean 5 tunes along with the 3 preloaded custom tunes and if I take a tune off it gives me an unlock back? I just don't want to screw a tune up or anything but I would like to mess with some non vital settings just to try it out.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
the 5 unlocks means you can return to stock 5 times
so if you want to sell the tuner, you return to stock to unlock it.
the tuner can hold 3 custom tunes and the 3 canned tunes
when you get a new tune you can replace one of the custom tunes that you dont need.
the 5 unlocks stays at 5 i believe.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I filled in my form and the tune was preloaded when I got the tuner in the mail

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah sorry I misread your question. Yeah I got a shipping number in my email.

·
Registered
119 Posts
when you get a new tune you can replace one of the custom tunes that you dont need.
I could be wrong of course, because I'm not reading my SCT guide right now, but I think that is incorrect. I have returned my car to stock many times and it still has all the unlocks available.

First pointing out that if you leave a stock tune for one car on the SCT and try to upload it to another car is a bad idea....

I believe it unlocks only when used on a different car. So, after uploading the stock tune back to the original car, THEN using it on another car, will unlock it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I could be wrong of course, because I'm not reading my SCT guide right now, but I think that is incorrect. I have returned my car to stock many times and it still has all the unlocks available.

First pointing out that if you leave a stock tune for one car on the SCT and try to upload it to another car is a bad idea....

I believe it unlocks only when used on a different car. So, after uploading the stock tune back to the original car, THEN using it on another car, will unlock it.
^ That is correct.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Awesome that's good to know. Ill se if I can change the TCS options and just get a quick vid of it at a low idle speed. It says 5 unlocks does that mean 5 tunes along with the 3 preloaded custom tunes and if I take a tune off it gives me an unlock back? I just don't want to screw a tune up or anything but I would like to mess with some non vital settings just to try it out.
No you cannot turn the TCS off with your end user settings. Nost tuners leave only basic functions available for the end user to adjust. It's good insurance for them. If you need a change, you'll request it, and there's documentation of it. If you change things on your programmer, blow up your car. Guess what will happen? You'll post on the forum that your car blew up, everyone will ask who tuned it, than they will assume it was them who wrote a bad tune when it was really you fiddling with the tune.

About your question earlier, no you cannot have the "dyno tooner" change your Bama tune. They will have to start from scratch or a value file that they have in their possession. The tunes are locked to protect the tuners livelihood.

That's not what it means... The only time you'll use an unlock is when changing the VIN number, possibly even the PCM strategy code, not sure about that one.

The SF3 holds three canned tunes as well as your custom tunes. The Xcal3 does not come with any canned tuners. I didn't see where the OP say which programmer he had.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No you cannot turn the TCS off with your end user settings. Nost tuners leave only basic functions available for the end user to adjust. It's good insurance for them. If you need a change, you'll request it, and there's documentation of it. If you change things on your programmer, blow up your car. Guess what will happen? You'll post on the forum that your car blew up, everyone will ask who tuned it, than they will assume it was them who wrote a bad tune when it was really you fiddling with the tune.

About your question earlier, no you cannot have the "dyno tooner" change your Bama tune. They will have to start from scratch or a value file that they have in their possession. The tunes are locked to protect the tuners livelihood.

That's not what it means... The only time you'll use an unlock is when changing the VIN number, possibly even the PCM strategy code, not sure about that one.

The SF3 holds three canned tunes as well as your custom tunes. The Xcal3 does not come with any canned tuners. I didn't see where the OP say which programmer he had.
I will try my hardest to avoid anyone who claims to be a "dyno tooner"... in South Florida there are a lot of people who may claim to be just that though. I may email Bama sometime in the future and get some stuff changed I dont really feel the urge to change the TCS stuff and idle speed right now they're fine where they are at. Im used to turning off the TCS once I start the car anyways.

As for not being able to use the tunes that sucks but makes sense I can see Bama not wanting anyone to be able to snatch their tunes.

And just to make this clear can I take the tuner I have and have a tuner run the car on the dyno and use my handheld tuner to change all the settings? I thought AM sold two SCT tuners... one with the Bama tunes and one the user can adjust specifically for a dyno tune... I could be wrong and both have user adjustments but one was programmed to be a little more tuner friendly?

Sorry for all the questions about this the SCT doesnt really come with many instructions... just one page telling me how to load the tunes on the car and read trouble codes. Looking around on my own it looked like I could adjust some settings but I never tried for the same reason Nasty posted above. I didnt want to wreck my engine and be responsible because I changed something I shouldn't of. I already rev the **** out of it. :D

Edit: Sorry I didnt mention I have the SCT SF3/X3 tuner from AM.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Yes a tuner would be able to load his own tune on it. It would require him deleting one of your current tunes if you have three already.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts