Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would it be more beneficial to put money into...
-a stroker kit and so on so forth with w/e upgrades i need with that
-simply replacing the 4.6 SOHC with the same thing just with little to no miles
-or putting money into a "bigger" engine like a cobra DOHC 4V etc. (prolly not a 03 just cuz of the price tag)

mind you im not looking to build an all out 11 second race car. this lady is my daily driver and here and there i like to tear up the streets and maybe occasionally take it to the track

what i have now is still the stock engine with about 101,000 miles on it and i do not want to start buying mods to add on simply for the reason that i do not want to build up this aged beauty with new parts and then have it break down.

just would like to know what you seasoned vets think about this...i value the opinion of other mustang lovers more than any FAQ or website trying to sell me something.

if you need anythign answered to help me out just ask and ill do my best to answer.

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
i would get a cobra crank, soem good I beam rods, soem good flat top pistons, nice heads/cam package, and a shot of spray.
what are your current mods, and how much do you want to spend?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol in short...this is me and my girl right now

im 19 (full time student) and i bought her almost a year ago. had about 92,000 miles, now 101,000. it already had small mods like a borla catback and a shortshifter.

as far as what i have done...over the year i had the tranny rebuilt, new clutch, Mac Offroad H Pipe, replaced the alternator, (shorty antenna lol), 3.73 gears (not new, from my friends stang)

i believe thats it...oh yea and i have a predator with the diablotune installed on it currently.

as far as how much i am willing to spend? keep in mind i dont have a salary or six (let alone 5 or 4) figures lol its just whenever i get and save any kind of money i usually put it towards the whip

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
its going to cost you a good $5-10K to really do it right.

you coudl easily just do a JLT intake, some UD pullies, tb/plenum, then start weight reduction. with that, and enough weight reduction your a solid 12 second car.

101K is stil pretty young, im not sure if i would go throwing a shot on it, or any boost, but the motor still has alot left in it.

just tell us how much $$ you want to spend.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i guess if we are just talking about the engine, im willing to spend maybe about 4k on it alone since its a big part of the car (hell it is the car) and will allow me to drive it that much longer

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also as far as those things you mentioned (the JLT, TB and plenum etc.) what kind would you recommend and is it safe to get those (im considering yea since if i got a new engine i could just transfer them over) right?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dam forgot to ask in last reply lol

besides things like rear seat deletes and what not and carbon fiber w/e

what can i do for weight reduction

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
yes, the intake, and TB/plenum will transfer right over, just dont get too big of a TB, probably a 70MM will do, and make sure you get a good brand like PP, accufab, or C&L. then JLT is the only way to go for intake.

with $4K on motor it would be pushing it to get it built, and all. would you be doing the work, or having a shop do it?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i wish i knew enough to do the work myself however, my buddy and his dad know a shitload (and happen to work at a ford dealer) so to save some dough i would probably ask them to do it.

how much would you recomend spending to get good results but still keeping it reasonable

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
dam forgot to ask in last reply lol

besides things like rear seat deletes and what not and carbon fiber w/e

what can i do for weight reduction
best things to do for WR would be:

rear seat delete (40-50LBS)
remove trunk lining, spare tire, and jack (50LBS)
oddyssey lightweight battery (removes 35LBS!!!)
UPR tubular K member, A arms, and coil overs (65LBS)
big n littles for the track (100LBS)
shave wing (10LBS maybe)
lightweight front seats (30-50LBS) (pair)

the first 4 are the best to do. you can make a RCD for about $30 in materials, removing the stuff is free, oddyssey battery is like $150 or so i think with the tray, and the UPR k member kit is $700

so $850 or so and you just removed 200LBS, so thats about .2 off your 1/4.

you can also pull the door panels, and remove the bracing in the doors, remove the front, and rear crash bars, ect. but i wouldnt recommend removing the crash bars unless you dont drive it on the street much, it can be the difference of life and death in a crash.

then big n littles are going to run you $800 or so with tires for a ok cheaper set, $100 in body work to cover holes form removing wing, and $800 or so for seats and brackets.

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
i wish i knew enough to do the work myself however, my buddy and his dad know a shitload (and happen to work at a ford dealer) so to save some dough i would probably ask them to do it.

how much would you recomend spending to get good results but still keeping it reasonable
i would finish your bolt ons, get some ported heads, and some cams, do longtubes, and some minor weight reduction. that will have you over 300RWHP, and about 150-200LBS lighter depending on what you do for minor weight reduction.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks alot you have bee a lot of help. one more question though...along with the TB plenum and intake and mods such as those...i was also thinking of investing into new feul injectors and such (yay or nay?)

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
thanks alot you have bee a lot of help. one more question though...along with the TB plenum and intake and mods such as those...i was also thinking of investing into new feul injectors and such (yay or nay?)
theres no reason to get bigger fuel injectors, and MAF unless your running out of fuel, and air metering. one of the stupidest things people do is waste $$ on that thinking they're going to gain power.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks i appreciate it. glad i didnt make that mistake, any other quick mods you might suggest for the near future while im already bugging you lol

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
nope, for now i would jsut finish your basic mods, then get a set of MAC LT's, and a tune.

if you can spend the $$ though do heads at the same time so you dont have to pull the headers again.

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
get a mmr shortblock and you can use your stock heads
why would he want to do that? we will get more power out of a H/C package than he will a built bottom end. plus it will cost alot more.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts