Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went for a drive after putting the tune 91 race tune for my 06 to go along with my CAI, and the sound IMO is one of the best things about it, it's just a great package, I actually enjoy it more than the nitrous I was running for a while.

Car sounds a lot more deep at full throttle, and a friend mentioned that it sounds like "one of those imports" and I was like what the hell are you talking about. Then some guy in an STI said that my car sounds like his when I was going at full throttle.

IMO it's really cool, my FRPP didn't sound like this at all, seemed to have barely made a difference that's why I got rid of it. This C&L kit makes a huge difference.

It's just a question because it got me curious when even a guy driving a sti mentions something as odd as that, and I've never heard of anyone on or off line saying that about the sound.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Hmmm...i would deff be at a complete loss for words if someone said that to me. I've never even heard the C&L...let alone seen it installed on any s197 in person. I wouldn't let it bother me though...all those "imports" know american muscle when they hear it!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha, oh it was not in a negative way or anything. It's just the car sounds normal, and then under WOT it just has a....well I'm not sure what word to use exactly, but like a touch of the sound you hear from a subaru engine when it's revved up.

I dunno, I would record a video, but a lot of the sound never comes through in videos for me for obvious reasons(camera)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have the C&L race and it sounds like a holley doublepumper at full throttle, I mean you can hear it bigtime but not an imprt sound at all :no I've not heard an STI except driving by though and it sounded ok .

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
I used to have the C&L Racer when I was bolt ons and don't think it sounds anything like a Subaru. It's not even possible to make a 2005+ Mustang sound like a Subaru. The only similarity in sound between a Subaru and a Mustang is that they both make noise, nothing more.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
yeah true that about the noise, c&l is great stuff, when i add an intake it will be a c&l

·
Registered
535 Posts
He might have meant that Waaaaa sound you get from an open air filter. I have a C&L Street and it sounds like American Muscle.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Subaru? Man, that **** sounds like a Daewoo!

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
I have the C&L race and it sounds like a holley doublepumper at full throttle, I mean you can hear it bigtime but not an imprt sound at all :no I've not heard an STI except driving by though and it sounded ok .
Subaru's dont sounds like a typical ricer, they have a nice deep sound to them. Totally unqiue, Im not sure how a Mustang could sound like a Subaru, but then again it wouldnt be the first time someone made a dumb car related comment.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I don't notice any sound difference between my car with the C&L and when I had a JLT before. And I didn't notice any difference from the stocker to the JLT either. I also don't hear any intake noise at all unless the hood is open.

If someone told me that my car sounded like a subaru, I'd sell it the next day.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I might just be reading everything wrong, but it seems everyone thinks I mean that the sound anywhere in any rpm range sounds like a subaru, the guy was talking about when at full throttle near redline specifically, how the intake sounds since you can hear it so much more clearly. Made my exhaust a lot more throatier and I no longer want to swap out my magnaflows for something louder because of the original exhaust note they had.

Sounds a lot more 'brutish' for lack of a better word, I drove by my friends house and he thought I had changed out my exhaust.

Anyways, thanks for the replies guys.

Edit: Eh, just to show how it sounds I'll record a clip from inside the car and outside tomorrow.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I hang out with the local Subaru crew and can honestly say that not a one of the many different types that they have sounds anything like mine reguardless of theirs or my setup. Could their have been a Harley V-rod behind you? They sound like subarus. Is your power steering going out? There is a very noticable turbo whine on even a stock sti that if you only had one ear could sound like a v8 with a bad power steering pump. Are you sure the guy in the sti wasn't in just a base impreza with sti stickers?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Again, it's a small hint of the sound an sti. Just think of the part of an STI where you can really hear it rumbling as it's coming down from high rpm, not the turbo, the engine.

Really it doesn't matter, from a lot of the post it seems like they're thinking that my GT just sounds exactly like an sti.

It's that sound you hear when a sti is rumbling at full throttle, the engine itself, not the turbo.

Probably wont translate well to video, but I'll just post it up tomorrow so everyone can hear it, I personally don't think it sounds like one, and quite a few of my friends noticed it right away and said the car sounds a lot deeper and louder like most of us like(us being friends and I) only had those two different people say that. I'm just guessing they heard the sound of the intake sucking air in since in both cases they were on the driver side, near my engine. And although CAI are all different for each car, there are a lot that I've heard that just sound the same with the whooshing sound.

06redfire:Yea, I love the car now, my FRPP intake was a piece of **** compared to this one. Didn't notice a 1/4 as much power increase, response was still crappy. This one makes the car so much lively along with the tune.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts