Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
I'm doing it wrong
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And this is also for you mcqueen :yes. So I haven't seen a pretty much step by step guide on this WITH pictures going along the way and showing exactly what was used and such, and also noticing quite a few people wanting to do this I decided to do a quick write up on it. Now some people will take extra steps like wet sanding and polishing after the paint is dry. But I know the average person doesn't want to do all that. So these are the steps to at least do a good job without wetsanding/polishing after...

Now the steps that arent shown fully are the first ones because they explain themselves.

1. Take piece of trim you want to paint off the car

2. Run is under water for about a minute wiping everything off of it and dry the piece.

3. LIGHTLY sand with 800 grit sand paper, pretty much just scratching the surface good. MAKE SURE YOUR SANDING IS EVEN AND YOU DON'T HAVE ANY AREAS DEEPER THAN OTHERS!

4. Run the piece under water again wiping away all the sanding left overs.

5. Take a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol and wipe the piece down nice.

6. Now head outside to your painting location...

Here is what the piece looks like after steps 1-6 are done. (I am using the piece behind the door handle)

And a closer view of the sanding marks

7. Now you want to use some sort of primer, I use this stuff. Its a clear primer and adhesion promoter. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND USING THIS FOR PAINTING INTERIOR TRIM.

8. Start by putting 2-3 light and even coats of the adhesion promoter on the piece. This is what it should look like after that is done and it's ready for paint.

Notice how you can still see the sanding marks and it still looks like it was evenly sprayed with something? That is what you want.

THIS IS WHAT I USE FOR MY INTERIOR TRIM PIECES, ITS A PRETTY DAMN GOOD MATCH TO MY CARS COLOR. If you also have a silver stang this is the paint code for our cars according to the rustoleum brand.

9. Now when spraying the color, make sure you follow the same procedure as with the adhesion promoter, you want nice even and light coats. In the pics you can see I don't make it a solid silver in one shot, some of the black is still showing. THATS WHY WE USE MORE THAN ONE COAT. ALSO MAKE SURE YOU WAIT ABOUT 2 MINUTES BETWEEN EACH COAT!

Clear coat time :) this is what I use...

10. REMEMBER, LIGHT AND EVEN COATS! And allow about 2 minutes of drying time between them. I usually do 2-3 coats of clear aswell.

Finished product...

And this is the color comparison to my car. I am actually impressed with Rustoleums color matching for a mass produced item...

Well there you have it. I hope this helps some people interested in painting their interior trim of their stangs :) let me know what you guys think :)

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Thanks for the write up with pics. It helps a noob to painting like me

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
Nice write up man. When I get a second I will add a link to this thread in the tech & how to stickies.

·
Registered
147 Posts
ive only painted exterior trim with satin black for the rear end blackout areas, but does rustoleum make other colors to match exterior colors like redfire clear coat? paint code G2

yeah, this color?

·
I'm doing it wrong
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still consider myself a noob at painting. But doing my tail lights, and a few interior trim pieces I am very confident when it comes to having/wanting to paint something. I am debating if I want to try and use that stuff on my front bumper. I will take a pic in a few minutes of it, and you won't blame me for wanting to. I mean I know it wont look perfect but it will look a hell of a lot better than it does now, and thats all I care about.

·
I'm doing it wrong
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ive only painted exterior trim with satin black for the rear end blackout areas, but does rustoleum make other colors to match exterior colors like redfire clear coat? paint code G2

yeah, this color?
None of their touch up spray paints for cars have clear already in them. I am sure you could get by using it without a clear, it looks pretty good on its own. And go to your local auto zone, they just started carrying this stuff. Rustoleum makes it for Imports, domestics, and Misc (don't know what falls under that category) and my autozone had a book that rustoleum sent them thats split up by year/make/model and you just go to yours and it shows all the colors produced in that year with the "Rustoleum paint code" for it and you just find it on the shelf and there you go :) I didn't know about the book, I went by eye when I picked mine, then the guy told me about the book so I went to check what mine actually was and the one I already picked was the right one lol.

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts

yeah, this color?
Yours looks like Metallic Laser Red (E9)

Like mine.

·
I'm doing it wrong
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just stuck with 800 because I have had great results with it. Everything has come out smooth except for 1 part because it was the first attempt I have ever made at painting lol.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Alright, this is my first post, strangely made this account just to respond, (heh). But when I painted my interior pieces I did pretty much everything said, but, with those "tough spots" I just used some primer if it wasn't too thick and it smoothed it right up, had to wet sand with some high grit sandpaper again though. :( So if you had trouble spots just use some primer or some of that putty filler and it'll smooth up to new again.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yours looks like Metallic Laser Red (E9)

Like mine.

Mine is G2, I checked. ive got an 04 and E9 was not a color option except on 99 - 02.

·
I'm doing it wrong
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright, this is my first post, strangely made this account just to respond, (heh). But when I painted my interior pieces I did pretty much everything said, but, with those "tough spots" I just used some primer if it wasn't too thick and it smoothed it right up, had to wet sand with some high grit sandpaper again though. :( So if you had trouble spots just use some primer or some of that putty filler and it'll smooth up to new again.
What exactly do you mean trouble spots? It almost sounds like your talking about fixing damaged pieces.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts

yeah, this color?
Rustoleum has a horrible spray pattern than makes it tougher to use will. It sprays in an O shape. Find a brand that sprays in a | shape and you'll see far better results. I prefer Krylon though I've never looked to see if the make color matched products.

Btw nice write up Demon. Now let's see some pics of the interior put back together :yes

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
What exactly do you mean trouble spots? It almost sounds like your talking about fixing damaged pieces.
I was referring to what you were talking about a few posts ago with the smoothness of the outcome. Just saying primer would smooth it out. :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Rustoleum has a horrible spray pattern than makes it tougher to use will. It sprays in an O shape. Find a brand that sprays in a | shape and you'll see far better results. I prefer Krylon though I've never looked to see if the make color matched products.
i went to 4 different stores and duplicolor has the best assortment of colors available so i went with them. O'reilly had the best selection btw

·
Registered
147 Posts
i may actually ATTEMP to use the spray to match a spoiler..we will see what it looks like. good hopefully

1 - 20 of 44 Posts