Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about doing some sort of F/I in the not so near future and I'm trying to see what other supporting mods are needed (suspension, exhaust, tuner, etc).

Obviously I would buy the kit that comes with the injectors and such. Possibly spark plugs?

Also how much boost can the stock bottom end take on these cars, without having a lot of added stress? So what would be reasonable HP/TQ numbers to expect? Hopefully somewhere in the 400-440 range? My car is a daily driver after all and I can't sacrifice the drivability too much.

Thanks guys, I'm trying to get more educated on this before I even think about buying anything. I thought for awhile I wanted to stay N/A but I just don't think that's going to cut it :)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Clutch, intake manifold, suspension, tuner, maybe drive shaft, throttlemody if going centri or turbo. This the list i have so far i plan going turbo but i am gonna do a b302 also just formthe extra insurance. Also the stock bottom can handle around 500 with a good tune. Some correct if i am wrong on anything i dont want to be the reason he blows his motor.

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
The bottom end can handle 500+ on a good tune, bad tune your motor could blow at 280

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just trying to gauge all of the necessary parts I would need if I end up doing this. I've been looking at the Procharger kits. So let's say I do that, then what needs to be done in addition? Just tuner and suspension?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Gauges are a must IMO. Air fuel ratio, boost, and i am gonna do oil pressure. A triple a pillar pod. Most of the shops i have seen have em. And actually alot of its come with a tuner. With a procharger imwould get a intake mani and throttle body. Clutch also

·
Registered
280 Posts
Keep the clutch until it goes. The stock clutch can last you a long time. And your not going to sacrifice driveability its all in your foot. Stay out of boost and you can granny along as much as you want.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah yeah gauges for sure. I was planning on doing that as well but forgot to mention. Do you really think that a throttle body is necessary though? I thought the stock TB was good till up around 500hp?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Ypu dont need to but i want to be sure and get it all slowly so why not get it. My total build just for parts is around 17g. Very slowly the biggest expense i will do is the shortblck and truobo kit in one shot. My wallet hurts thinking of it.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
you dont need a throttlebody, you could just buy the procharger kit that comes with everything, and you wouldnt need any other supporting mods if you didnt want too

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah it's definitely going to hurt the wallet. I'm not going to this until next year at the earliest anyway. So basically what I am looking at here is this:

-Procharger Kit/ Turbo Kit
-Tuner
-Gauges
-Suspension
-Intake Manifold
-High flow cats?

Anything else? I want to have a very driveable 420-440hp. haha

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Forget the intake manifold. Waste unless you're going 20+ lbs boost and dragracing. For the hp range you are targeting, you don't need anything except what comes with the procharger (or whatever) kit. Don't complicate your build with a lot of unnecessary "make you feel good" mods. Keep it simple.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Yeah it's definitely going to hurt the wallet. I'm not going to this until next year at the earliest anyway. So basically what I am looking at here is this:

-Tuner
-Gauges
-Suspension
-Intake Manifold
-High flow cats?

Go for more hp. It will be plenty drivable. Plenty of people are running 470-500hp positive displacement blowers. They are driveable enough.

Its not like the boost slams on every time you touch the throttle. Even a positive displacement blower brings on boost gradually with more throttle. A centri like what you are looking at would be even more drivable than that, as the boost doesn't come on even at full throttle until the rpms come up.

And if you have a manual trans, you are going to need a clutch. My stock clutch made it 3 months before starting to slip. And I don't race the car. Its a DD.

If your car is a DD, I wouldn't worry about the suspension. Drag racers need to worry about suspension. Daily drivers - not so much unless you are really concerned with how fast you can take off from a dead stop. If you must - at least wait and see. Boost now. Suspension later. A boosted car with stock suspension is a lot funner to drive than a stock car with a drag racing suspension.

High flow cats? Only if you want them for the sound. Not necessary at this hp level. They aren't going to add any power.

You only need the throttle body that comes with your kit.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Who are you planning on having tune the car? This is the most important thing. If you don't have a reputable tuner in your 'backyard' than don't take the chance for someone else to experiment on your car. Just let one of the handful of reputable tuners tune it. They can write an email tune that will be nearly just as good as if they dyno tuned it. If you really wanted to make sure you could have them remote tune it and it will be exactly as good as if it were dyno tuned. My recommendation if you don't have one of the reputable guys in your backyard is to go with VMP Tuning. The only other guys you should even think about is Jon Lund, JDM, Bama, maybe BBR.

Keep the clutch until it goes. The stock clutch can last you a long time. And your not going to sacrifice driveability its all in your foot. Stay out of boost and you can granny along as much as you want.
I agree with CMG427 on this. I ran my OEM clutch with 463 rwhp for a couple of months before it went. The only reason why it went was that I was running drag radials and dumping it at NMRA Spring Break shootout on a very good prepped track and it was almost 100 degrees. After those launches it was toast for the day. It came back but I replaced it as soon as it came in.

Ah yeah gauges for sure. I was planning on doing that as well but forgot to mention. Do you really think that a throttle body is necessary though? I thought the stock TB was good till up around 500hp?
I think a lot of people make a big deal about gauges. I recommend them but it's not the end of the world if you don't have them. If you have a good tune than you've got nothing to worry about. In the end if your A/F wideband gauge alerts you of a problem more than likely you're way past the point of shutting the car down to prevent damage.

A throttle body wouldn't be a bad idea but that can be upgraded later. Don't think about using anything but the OEM GT500, VMP Tuning TB, or FRPP 62mm for this kind of set-up.

-Tuner
-Gauges
-Suspension
-Intake Manifold
-High flow cats?

420-440 rwhp is easy without any issue. Are you in an area where you could go without cats and run a offroad midpipe? Don't bother with the intake manifold. It's not necessary and it will probably do more harm than good in my opinion.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Best kit on the market is Edelbrock # 1580

Get it done at an authorized dealer and you can get warranty.

Low boost, high efficient kit that gives 466hp to the motor and probably around 400hp to the wheels. I have this kit and you wouldn't know it's even there until you hammer on it. Words can't explain the quality/fit finish of this kit.

I have one on my 08 Mustang and I did 12.4 on the 1/4 mile with it last year... this year I changed the pulley, fuel pump and tune and I just ran an 11.88 and I was on the dyno last week. 466hp to the wheels. The car still drives like a stock mustang until you hammer on it.

This is THE kit. Edelbrock 1580

·
booooost'd
7,545 Posts
If all u want is 420, then keep your car stock. The blower will come with everything needed to keep it safe. You will NEED some good back tires and some brake work though!

·
The Mustang Shop
445 Posts
Forget the intake manifold. Waste unless you're going 20+ lbs boost and dragracing. For the hp range you are targeting, you don't need anything except what comes with the procharger (or whatever) kit. Don't complicate your build with a lot of unnecessary "make you feel good" mods. Keep it simple.
I agree 100% with Steve.

Who are you planning on having tune the car? This is the most important thing. If you don't have a reputable tuner in your 'backyard' than don't take the chance for someone else to experiment on your car. Just let one of the handful of reputable tuners tune it. They can write an email tune that will be nearly just as good as if they dyno tuned it. If you really wanted to make sure you could have them remote tune it and it will be exactly as good as if it were dyno tuned. My recommendation if you don't have one of the reputable guys in your backyard is to go with VMP Tuning. The only other guys you should even think about is Jon Lund, JDM, Bama, maybe BBR.

I agree with CMG427 on this. I ran my OEM clutch with 463 rwhp for a couple of months before it went. The only reason why it went was that I was running drag radials and dumping it at NMRA Spring Break shootout on a very good prepped track and it was almost 100 degrees. After those launches it was toast for the day. It came back but I replaced it as soon as it came in.

I think a lot of people make a big deal about gauges. I recommend them but it's not the end of the world if you don't have them. If you have a good tune than you've got nothing to worry about. In the end if your A/F wideband gauge alerts you of a problem more than likely you're way past the point of shutting the car down to prevent damage.

A throttle body wouldn't be a bad idea but that can be upgraded later. Don't think about using anything but the OEM GT500, VMP Tuning TB, or FRPP 62mm for this kind of set-up.

420-440 rwhp is easy without any issue. Are you in an area where you could go without cats and run a offroad midpipe? Don't bother with the intake manifold. It's not necessary and it will probably do more harm than good in my opinion.
Again, a really good post. FWIW, I have gauges. I can honestly say I have looked at them once at full throttle. Stuff is happening way to fast to look at the gauges. I have confidence in my tuner and my tune. No need to monitor anything. If something goes wrong, by the time you see it on the gauge it's to late anyway.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the info guys. It's a lot easier on the wallet to just buy the kit anyway. I just wanted to make sure that it was ok just to do that much and the car would still perform reliable.

Too Nasty though, no in my area it's fairly strict on emissions so I would need to keep the cats. I would assume just getting high flow cats would be sufficient to help get that boost out? I've heard stories of people blowing apart their cats from the boost. Although I don't know if that would even be a problem with what I'm trying to do.

EDIT- Will the s/c kit come with a tuner or will I need to buy one separate?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Well i have just had my pee pee slapped by everyone. Lol. Well i think this post just saved me some money. Actually alot of money. Does not needing the intake mani and tb apply to a turbo set up and i will get a b302 later down the road. And mizmustang i have seen several sc kits that have tuners. Brenspeed VMP i think AM all sell sc kits. Look into it i know all the turbomkits i am considering have em.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys. It's a lot easier on the wallet to just buy the kit anyway. I just wanted to make sure that it was ok just to do that much and the car would still perform reliable.

Too Nasty though, no in my area it's fairly strict on emissions so I would need to keep the cats. I would assume just getting high flow cats would be sufficient to help get that boost out? I've heard stories of people blowing apart their cats from the boost. Although I don't know if that would even be a problem with what I'm trying to do.

EDIT- Will the s/c kit come with a tuner or will I need to buy one separate?

Edelbrock's 1580 kit comes with a Diablosport programmer & tune. JDM also has a 470hp Edelbrock kit that comes with a SCT programmer & tune. Not sure about other stuff - Whipple, Saleen, Procharger, etc.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts