Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello again,
Been a while since I posted here. Still have my GT, running well, almost no issues. I've put about 4k miles on it since the Procharger install and all's well.

My question is not about the Mustang, but about the 8.8 rear axle. I just got a 1998 Jeep Wrangler project that I'm redoing from the ground up, including putting in a Dodge 5.9L engine. I'm replacing the stock rear axle with a 8.8, also found on the Mustangs. The one I got has 3.73 gears and a factory limited slip.

I want to run either 4.10, 4.56, or maybe even 4.88 gears, so I'm wondering if I can reuse the limited slip with the gear change.

Thanks again!

On a side note, I noticed the '96-'98 and the '99-'04 sections have been combined. I like it!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Depending on the mileage on the rear you may want to repack the traction-lok (posi) discs ... you can pick up the clutch pack, shims, lock pin, etc. for about $75.

I just installed 4.10 gears in mine and didn't bother since my mileage was low ... but I may do-so in the future

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
the answer is yes you can reuse it.however if you swap axle shafts to 31 spline or larger y.ou will need a new diff to match it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like the 8.8 LS can be used with any gear that's made for the axle. The Explorer 8.8 already has the 31 spline axle, disk brakes and 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern. This is cheap way to upgrade, if anyone is interested. I paid $125 for mine with 3.73's. It's 59.5" WMS to WMS.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Looks like the 8.8 LS can be used with any gear that's made for the axle. The Explorer 8.8 already has the 31 spline axle, disk brakes and 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern. This is cheap way to upgrade, if anyone is interested. I paid $125 for mine with 3.73's. It's 59.5" WMS to WMS.
Thanks again.
I have heard about this, but when I checked I though the explorer rear end was offset to the side. Did you recenter the pumpkin? Or is it a specific range of explorers?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will take some measurements and post back. But at a glance, sure does look like the pumpkin is centered.
At least I hope it is. That is what I need for the Jeep.

·
Registered
979 Posts
For offroading (seems like what you will be doing) I would go with a MINIMUM of the cobra 31 spline... honestly if you plan to run 35's or 37's I would go with a 4.56 or 4.88 ratio, and atleast 33 spline so you don't have to worry. In either case, you would need a new T-loc (or a spool), gears, rebuild kit, and axles.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It is off set by about 4 1/2". Is the Mustang one centered?
Yes that's going to need to be centered. The Mustang one is centered, but if you already have it I'd try to center it. I've seen people center them I just don't know how to do the axles afterwards. Do they just fit a specific axle that's centered, and with the same splines? Would definitely be a cool/fun swap to do.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
This is why I run 31 spline axles. This is Matt's picture. The stock axles taper down just before going into the differential. That is the weak point. 31 spline axles don't taper down. I'm have been running a used Explorer differential, Strange 31 spline axles, and FRPP 3.73 gears for around 130,000 miles. I have had no problems but I think it might be time to change the clutch pack. Since my axles were made for my car I had no trouble with offsets.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Did you have to center your differential? Or is there a specific year that was different? To my understanding the suspension is different, so would it be best just to salvage the pumpkin and reuse stock mustang sleeves with the 31 spline?

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I had a shop do the work. I hate gear whine and I didn't trust myself to do it right. As far as I know they didn't center anything. The 8.8" Explorer differential just swaps right in. The axles were made for a 99-04 Mustang. Since there was 80,000 miles on the old differential I bought a rebuild kit and replaced seals and bearings.

Here is some additional information. I did not upgrade my brakes. The only thing I did was buy axles that fit. LMR sells Mosers for $275.
https://lmr.com/products/mustang-28-spline-vs-31-spline-axles
https://lmr.com/item/MOS-9903-31/99-04-Mustang-31-Spline-5Lug-Moser-Rear-Axles

I'm running Strange.
https://www.strangeengineering.net/product/ford-31-spline-axle-8-8-99-04.html/

Here is an article on rebuilding the rearend written in 2003.
http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/drivetrain/m5lp-0307-upgrading-ford-mustang-rear-axle/

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It already has 31 spline. I'll regear to 4.10's, or probably 4.56.
I have never come across a mention that the pumpkin needs to centered for a Wrangler swap, but I'm looking into that now.
Someone could check where the pumpkin sits on Mustang. Easy if you have an axle already out.

·
Registered
22,813 Posts
It already has 31 spline. I'll regear to 4.10's, or probably 4.56.
I have never come across a mention that the pumpkin needs to centered for a Wrangler swap, but I'm looking into that now.
Someone could check where the pumpkin sits on Mustang. Easy if you have an axle already out.
I would think you should be fine with the offset housing, my understanding is most SUVs have an offset.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I would think you should be fine with the offset housing, my understanding is most SUVs have an offset.
I believe most trucks and SUVs run offset housings. No issue there. The mustang is centered though IIRC. All it means, as long as you can mount everything axle/housing wise up to the chassis, the only issue is getting proper length axles on both sides.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts