Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was wondering what your personal opinions are on the Ford Racing Intake. The mustang shows that I went to this summer everyone seemed to have the FR CAI more often then not. I know most of you are for JLT, but what's the real diff between the two that makes one worth better then the other?:confused:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to add that , the CAI will be my first mod, and I dont want to be buying something I will regret. And the sound is what i'm more interested in...

·
Registered
312 Posts
whats the difference? about $400 lol. I don't own an 05+, but the FR CAI is an 85 mm while the JLT is 4" or about 101 mm. So if you're FI, have huge cubes or a highly modified car requiring a ton of air than the JLT is a necessity. I have a JLT on my car and love it. Having the wider tubing won't hurt performance either, JLT typically dyno's higher than almost all other CAI's on the market. As far as materials, neither are metal which is good since metal heats up and ultimately causes loss in HP. JLT is made out of PVC while the FR is made from High Density Polyethylene. IMO, i doubt the material makes a big enough difference to justify $400 extra. I can just talk specs, i'd ask someone who's experienced using both. Maybe there's a factor that comes into play that doesnt show up in the specs

·
Registered
312 Posts
I made a mistake, the 85 mm for the FR isn't the tubing, it's the MAF. the JLT comes with an 89mm MAF if i'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
978 Posts
there is always that old adage.......you pay for what you get! :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
That's strange my FRPP CAI is 90mm just like the steeda. And only paid $250 for it and the steeda elbow. Then again do you mean the CAI that went on the Bullitt mustangs or the one that is exactly like the steeda?

·
Registered
312 Posts
IF the FR dynos maybe a few HP more, than personally the $400 extra isn't worth it to me. That's money that could be used someplace else. With that being said, I think the JLT still makes better power

·
Registered
312 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IF the FR dynos maybe a few HP more, than personally the $400 extra isn't worth it to me. That's money that could be used someplace else. With that being said, I think the JLT still makes better power
I know what you mean, i think the same way. But I'm honestly still torn between the two...I really need way the pros and cons between the two, price being the biggest con. Theres even a big difference in the look between the two

·
Registered
292 Posts
I personally have the Steeda, but I think more or less most of the aftermarket CAI's are the same. I think the big differences are as follows, I think the FRPP kit uses the stock elbow. I think you will get better flow with an aftermarket elbow. That said, as far as I can tell, the FRPP kit only comes with a recalibration "voucher". So the BIG BIG gain is that the other kits actually come with the actual hand held programmers which in my opinion would definitely be the decision maker because you can keep using it again and again for other mods.

·
Registered
295 Posts
the main thing to think about is where are you getting your tune from? it doesnt matter which one you get if you are just using a ford voucher retune or one of the non-custom canned tunes that come on an sct or diablosport. the real gains from any intake are when it is paired with a tune that is custom for it. also, just to clear it up, the only CAI that I have seen that will work with any type of supercharger is the Steeda/FRPP one like this

even then it will only work with the saleen (its what comes in brenspeeds upgrade packages) and maybe the Roush M90. the only difference between the Steeda and the FRPP like in the picture is that some of the old Steeda ones had a MAF that was smaller so that it could be used without a tune, but I havent seen one of those for sell in a long time. really as long you buy one that is from a reputable brand (Steeda, FRPP, C&L, JLT, and couple others) and get a custom tune for it you will be happy. I picked my FRPP one because it is the same as the Steeda and they have never let me down with anything they have done on any of my previous mustangs. You can actually find it for around $150-$170 on ebay, then buy the steeda elbow for around $100 from one of the sponsors of this site.

All the being said, if you must choose between the Bullitt style FRPP CAI and the JLT, I would pick the JLT.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
I got the JLT with the SCT sf3 tuner and ordered it from Joe @ Tricktuners, i felt a big differnece, it was really nice. I like it alot.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
also, just to clear it up, the only CAI that I have seen that will work with any type of supercharger is the Steeda/FRPP one like this

even then it will only work with the saleen (its what comes in brenspeeds upgrade packages) and maybe the Roush M90.
I'm looking to get the Roush M90 SC in the future....so your saying only this CAI would do the job? The JLT won't work with it?:confused:

·
Registered
292 Posts
the main thing to think about is where are you getting your tune from? it doesnt matter which one you get if you are just using a ford voucher retune or one of the non-custom canned tunes that come on an sct or diablosport. the real gains from any intake are when it is paired with a tune that is custom for it. also, just to clear it up, the only CAI that I have seen that will work with any type of supercharger is the Steeda/FRPP one like this

even then it will only work with the saleen (its what comes in brenspeeds upgrade packages) and maybe the Roush M90. the only difference between the Steeda and the FRPP like in the picture is that some of the old Steeda ones had a MAF that was smaller so that it could be used without a tune, but I havent seen one of those for sell in a long time. really as long you buy one that is from a reputable brand (Steeda, FRPP, C&L, JLT, and couple others) and get a custom tune for it you will be happy. I picked my FRPP one because it is the same as the Steeda and they have never let me down with anything they have done on any of my previous mustangs. You can actually find it for around $150-$170 on ebay, then buy the steeda elbow for around $100 from one of the sponsors of this site.

All the being said, if you must choose between the Bullitt style FRPP CAI and the JLT, I would pick the JLT.
The Steeda CAI I have looks just like this, but comes with a larger than stock MAF (90 mm) AND a different elbow. To the best of my knowledge that is the only kit they sell now, and requires a tune. Like I said, most any CAI will do (C&L is also very popular too) AND requires a tune. I again would get one with a tuner, vs a voucher because you can use the tuner over and over for your mods. If you want to upgrade to an S/C, honestly I am not sure what CAI I would take into consideration. In other words, why limit yourself on CAI OR S/C based on the premise that you might go to S/C? Worst case scenario, you sell the CAI when you get the S/C. Otherwise, maybe just do it at once and get the S/C.

P.S.- Don't get me wrong, I am in the same boat and eventually want a S/C, I will at that point probably just sell my CAI.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you want to upgrade to an S/C, honestly I am not sure what CAI I would take into consideration. In other words, why limit yourself on CAI OR S/C based on the premise that you might go to S/C? Worst case scenario, you sell the CAI when you get the S/C. Otherwise, maybe just do it at once and get the S/C.
I definately won't be doing the SC at the same time as everything else, i'm too keyed up into getting extra power right now. :D
The SC would probably only come in a year or 2....it just sucks to think I might have to sell some mods , that's why i'm trying hard to find things compatible to the Roush M90 or another SC.....and yes i do agree that a tuner that i could reuse in the future for other mods is much more worth it

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've seen that Ford cai for $225-250 on Ebay without the pro-cal tool. If it was out when I bought my C&L, I would have gone with the Ford cai. I like the stock look so much better than most of the other cai's. It does require a tune, so if you get one, buy it with a SCT tuner or a Preditor. They'll be a lot more useful than the Pro-cal. There are places selling them with those tuners and a tune for it. If you're looking to really modify your car there are better cai's out there, but if you just want to go with a few mods, it won't be that much weaker than some of the higher flowing cai's.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The ford performance upgrade package comes with the FRPP CAI, the calibration tool, a 91 octane tune, Bullitt GTB mufflers and is 50 State smog legal. The CAI by itself can be had for about 250 new. If you have a 2007 + year, the hood insulation/fire suppression lining matches the shape of the car making a seal against the bottom of the hood. Kind of makes a RAM air looking thing as well as isolating the heat from the engine very well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts