Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently swapped out my 17" Bullitts for a set of like new 18" OEM Chrome Bullitts. I measured the pressure in those tires to be 37 PSI which seems a little high to me. I know on my door jam sticker there is a recommended tire pressure for my stock wheels, but what about for these new wheels? Any one have a S197 GT which came stock with the 235/50 18s who could tell me what the door jam sticker says? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
i am pretty sure that it is 32 psi

·
All sissies going to Hell!
5,818 Posts
32 psi COLD. You could jack it up to 35 no problem. But 32 psi is the sweet spot.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Yeah the tire pressure will usually stay the same regardless of the wheel/tire combo. I run mine a little higher though, like 37ish, because it seems to help reduce trimlining with my nittos.

At the track I've gone as low as 15-17 PSI.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Settles the doubt.

BTW, changing the wheels did not set off the TPMS system. Have about 10 miles on them so far. They are OEM off a 2009 GT. Pleased about it but puzzled mostly because of the threads I read about different wheels throwing the TPMS alerts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I recently swapped out my 17" Bullitts for a set of like new 18" OEM Chrome Bullitts. I measured the pressure in those tires to be 37 PSI which seems a little high to me. I know on my door jam sticker there is a recommended tire pressure for my stock wheels, but what about for these new wheels? Any one have a S197 GT which came stock with the 235/50 18s who could tell me what the door jam sticker says? Thanks.

yup, 32 psi COLD.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
What speeds were those 10 miles at? It took me a solid 15-20 miles of highway driving before my TPMS light came on.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I did the exact same thing about a month ago. The polished Bullitts really stand out much better than the painted ones don't you think? I'm not kidding, I drove my car over a week before the tpms light came on and easily went over 100 miles. I was beginning to think they were compatable sensors to my car. Tire Discounter wanted $25 to set them, but I haven't done it yet. If you hit the reset button the warning goes out until you start your car again.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did the exact same thing about a month ago. The polished Bullitts really stand out much better than the painted ones don't you think? I'm not kidding, I drove my car over a week before the tpms light came on and easily went over 100 miles. I was beginning to think they were compatable sensors to my car. Tire Discounter wanted $25 to set them, but I haven't done it yet. If you hit the reset button the warning goes out until you start your car again.
The chrome bullitts do add some flash. I had similar wheels on my 97 Probe GTS which is what this Mustang replaced. I liked the look. So far I have about 40 miles on the wheels about 25 of which is freeway. Still no sensor light. 100 miles? What if I get a puncture? Would the TPMS system take running on a flat for 100 miles before it signaled a problem? I would figure it out myself way before that.

·
Registered
535 Posts
The warning that showed in the dash window said "tire pressure monitor fault" I don't know if it would give you a low pressure warning or not. I look at it this way, people lived without tpms for years and managed to get by. I do keep my eye on the tires until I get the system set. I was at the dealership last week and they wanted
$45-50 to set it, forget that. I'll take it to Tire Discounters when I get a chance. Good luck on getting it done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts