Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Ford dealership by my hometown went out of business :( so they're selling off a bunch of their equipment, tools, and manuals. I'm hopefully gonna build a 4.6 teksid out of a lincoln mark viii so I was wondering if there were any special tools or anything that I might want to buy from the sale. I already plan on getting manuals for the '04 GT, '94 Mark VIII and 96-98 Cobras.

I searched already and most people just say you need "the right tools" to rebuild modular engines but no one ever says what would be helpful to have. I thought I read somewhere about a cam retention tool or something like that, but who knows. I already have a piston ring compressor and honing tool, do I need a special one for mod motors?

I just learned about it tonight and the sale is tomorrow, so I kinda need input fast... by 9:00 am tomorrow AM, haha. So I might be bumping this a lot in the next 12 hours

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
You dont need any special tools. The big ones are a good quality torque wrench ft/lbs and in/lbs, feeler guages, ring compresor, and a digital caliper.

A impact wrench works awsome for disasembaly but use only the TQ wrenches to assemble

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm... I think my dad has everything except a digital caliper, would a nice dial caliper work or do you NEED a digital one? I know tolerances are tight, but a good dial caliper gets pretty precise too..I'm pretty sure his big Snap-On torque wrench does in/lbs, but I'm not sure.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah. My dad has all brand name stuff. Either MAC or Snap-On. His caliper cost over $200 so it's pretty damn accurate.

I've heard people rip on plastigauge, but isn't that kinda the only way to check clearances when you bolt something down?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Ford tech manual. I can burn you a copy for the price of shipping if you want one. It tells you step bye step how to do pretty much anything

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GTR, I might be hitting you up for a copy if my dad didn't get one at the sale today. Do you just have the ones for the new edges? I think it'd be better if I had one for a 96-98 cobra, if you have one of those. I know you build quite a few engines...

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Mine is for all 99 ford vehicles which includes the cobra. Tq specs and such should be the same.

Together with the tech manual I highly recomend this book:

You can get iused from amazon for 17 bucks or so. Shows step bye step the disasembaly, machining, building breaking in, etc as well as full tq specs. Helped me out a lot.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was gonna get the book by Sean Hyland for like $22 new.

I need a tech manual for a 96-98 cobra, I think that'd be different than one for a 99 cobra but... :dunno

·
Cones = Yummy!
2,241 Posts
A Ford dealership by my hometown went out of business :( so they're selling off a bunch of their equipment, tools, and manuals. I'm hopefully gonna build a 4.6 teksid out of a lincoln mark viii so I was wondering if there were any special tools or anything that I might want to buy from the sale. I already plan on getting manuals for the '04 GT, '94 Mark VIII and 96-98 Cobras.

I searched already and most people just say you need "the right tools" to rebuild modular engines but no one ever says what would be helpful to have. I thought I read somewhere about a cam retention tool or something like that, but who knows. I already have a piston ring compressor and honing tool, do I need a special one for mod motors?

I just learned about it tonight and the sale is tomorrow, so I kinda need input fast... by 9:00 am tomorrow AM, haha. So I might be bumping this a lot in the next 12 hours
torque wrench...

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
torque wrench...
No **** I need a torque wrench. I didn't know if there were any other tools that I'd need. I've heard of a cam retention tool. Didn't know if I needed it or not. Didn't know if there was a special tool to time these motors. I've been into lots of old Mopar engines, but I didn't know how much would be different with these modulars. I don't wanna get halfway through and be like "****, I can't finish this build cause I don't have a _______ that I could've picked up at this sale."

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
The retention tool is for swaping cams without removing the timing cover so no, you wont need that. A timing wheel is another tool you will need but I rented one for 8 bucks I think it was.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Hmmm... I think my dad has everything except a digital caliper, would a nice dial caliper work or do you NEED a digital one? I know tolerances are tight, but a good dial caliper gets pretty precise too..I'm pretty sure his big Snap-On torque wrench does in/lbs, but I'm not sure.
The digital calipers at Harbour Freight are the same ones that are sold for twice as much at other places. I think they are like 15 bucks or something. I have one that I use on aircraft, and it has never failed calibration. A good dial indicator would be nice to have also.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
This is the one I have. It does inside, outside and depth.

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Would probably be better to rent a dial indicator as they are expensive. My Snap-On one was 150. I bought it a couple days before our company said no more personal calibrated tools except for calipers and screwdrivers. That sucked with 1000 bucks worth of torque wrenches in my box.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is the one I have. It does inside, outside and depth.

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Would probably be better to rent a dial indicator as they are expensive. My Snap-On one was 150. I bought it a couple days before our company said no more personal calibrated tools except for calipers and screwdrivers. That sucked with 1000 bucks worth of torque wrenches in my box.
My dad has a really nice dial caliper

Yah. you get raped with tq wrenches
The torque wrench we have was over $350, probably more. That's why I prettymuch get to use our T-handle torque wrench instead of the nice one :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.