Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me tell you I know nothing about Mustangs other than they're gorgeous, so please mind my ignorance.

The Mustang in question is an 00 GT 5 speed with a 2002 Crown Vic police interceptor 4.6 swap with aftermarket cams, intake, injectors, exhaust and a tune. Everything looks to be done right. The car needs approximately $4-500 in work to make it look nice. It runs pretty dang well. Is it true that it's common for the throw out bearing to wear out and cause 3rd to grind if you shift too quick? It needs a new clutch so I'd be down there replacing it anyway. Is there any big "no-no" that I need to look for? He claims it has approximately 25k on engine and trans. He says he paperwork which I definitely need to see.

I'm trading my 00 Toyota Celica GTS 6spd for it with an aftermarket sound system worth upwards of $5-600 (I'd love to keep the audio :( ) and he wants me to throw in $450 cash. He also wants me to order him a strut because one is blown. Besides that my car is in extremely great shape and is very clean. My car has about 170K on it, which for the VVTL-i engine is literally nothing. My car is mostly stock and taken VERY well care of it.

Does this sound fair? Thanks!

·
needs more boost
4,897 Posts
I personally wouldn't do it. Too much going on with that guys car imo. If you're looking to get into a mustang I'd sell yours then look for another one but again that's just me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I personally wouldn't do it. Too much going on with that guys car imo. If you're looking to get into a mustang I'd sell yours then look for another one but again that's just me.
I am going to school to be a mechanic. This car seems to be very sound. I took it for a sweet ride in a parking lot. I'd like to know what other mechanically minded Mustang guys have to say.

·
Poo tee weet?
2,646 Posts
First let me tell you I know nothing about Mustangs other than they're gorgeous, so please mind my ignorance.

The Mustang in question is an 00 GT 5 speed with a 2002 Crown Vic police interceptor 4.6 swap with aftermarket cams, intake, injectors, exhaust and a tune. Everything looks to be done right. The car needs approximately $4-500 in work to make it look nice. It runs pretty dang well. Is it true that it's common for the throw out bearing to wear out and cause 3rd to grind if you shift too quick? It needs a new clutch so I'd be down there replacing it anyway. Is there any big "no-no" that I need to look for? He claims it has approximately 25k on engine and trans. He says he paperwork which I definitely need to see.

I'm trading my 00 Toyota Celica GTS 6spd for it with an aftermarket sound system worth upwards of $5-600 (I'd love to keep the audio :( ) and he wants me to throw in $450 cash. He also wants me to order him a strut because one is blown. Besides that my car is in extremely great shape and is very clean. My car has about 170K on it, which for the VVTL-i engine is literally nothing. My car is mostly stock and taken VERY well care of it.

Does this sound fair? Thanks!
That's gonna be synchros and not TOB imo.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Tell him if he wants the strut, sound system and $450 cash he needs to replace the transmission for you. That would about square you up.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yes synchronizer is probably bad so second is probably is gonna be next

·
Registered
480 Posts
Why accept it that way though? Have him fix it. Why trade your car with one minor problem (strut) for his with several. To do it right you might as well go through the whole trans if your replacing the 3rd gear syncro, plus the throw out bearing, shifting fork, pivot ball, pressure plate, friction disc, and resurface or replace the flywheel. He is trying to bend you over and ramming it in with no lube. Pass

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Your car is perfectly fine. I'd say straight trade or no deal. There more wrong with his car than yours.

·
Registered
718 Posts
ya id prop try and sell you car and buy a mustang that has the original engine and stuff on it. Even if he has paper work, to me, doesn't feel the same. I mean do what you want, id have it checked out by a shop or a friend who knows about mustangs. Also id make sure he fixed the major problems AT LEAST.

·
needs more boost
4,897 Posts
Just trying to help man. The reason that cars on it's second engine and having trans problems is most likely because the guy beat the piss out of it. Now he wants your car and you to pay for his to get fixed? No way in hell I'd do it. I get you're mechanically inclined but do you really want to trade a car that's in good shape for a car that probably wasn't taken care of?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
I would defenately pass on that deal.

the mustang your looking at in my area would be worth about 2500, your current car is in the 5000 range in my area, dumb deal on your end IMO.

·
Registered
649 Posts
yes take everyones advice. i used to work at a mustang trans shop. 3rd gear synchro is going out. and think about this, you have all these mustang fans telling you to NOT get that mustang. that car is beat, no way around it. keep your celi. they are rather uncommom cars and its good to have a car that gets good gas mileage to get you through school.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
were crown vics even PI on 02? didnt they change over later then stangs?

·
needs more boost
4,897 Posts
Guy says "Don't need to get rid of so don't offer junk"...god I'd hate to see what he considers junk lol Good call. Have any pics of your ride op?

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
not a chance, that car is beat to ****. The fact that he told you PI means police interceptor does it for me

·
its JUSA 2V
3,411 Posts
And the grinding us probably synchros... mine went bad in my car shortly after I got it like 3 months later cost a good penny t fix it ...

You already made up your mind but I agree with a you avoiding it

Sent from my SCH-R530U using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm probably going to pass on this deal. You know it's a bad deal when even the Mustang guys say to avoid it!
Here's his Craigslist ad 2000 mustang gt (West lafayette) Also, he said PI means police interceptor.
Hey, southfor, I love Lights!
PI means Perfomance impoved - however there is also a trim of the crown vic called the police interceptor but that is not what it means in this case

when mustangs switched to mod motors in 96 the 2v gt's had what is refered to as a non pi motor. In 1999 ford made revisions to the 2v (and 4v) motors in the mustang and the new 2v was called PI, crown vics did not get the better motor until a few years later.

and so do I lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts