Modded Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have gone back and forth 100 times about changing careers. Alabama isn't the best place for IT people anyway. I thought about going into law enforcement. I am working on my IT degree and from what I have seen having a degree in IT is highly desirable for police officers as well. Even more so at the state and federal level. I don't know though. Kind of scary making such a large career jump.

·
Tini Tini Bo Bini
9,029 Posts
Go ride that unemployment benefit train if you can!

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
You just got done saying you want socialized health care, now you're telling someone to ride the unemployment train.........Talk about abuse of the system.

You do realize money doesn't grow on trees, and lenders usually want their money back one day.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I can probably get unemployment. I am still getting paid through the end of the month so I don't know if you have to wait until that is over with or if I can apply now

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
You should always have a skill to fall back on if something happens in your office job.

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

My cousin has a bachelor's in IT with 4 years experience and looking to make $49k this year.

I'm a pipe welder with no degree and will come out about $120-122k my first year in the union.

IT has twice as many people going into it as are coming out. Skilled trades has twice as many people retiring from it as are getting into it.

I'm not saying an IT degree is worthless, it's just harder to get the right job without some good connections due to the vast number of people with IT degrees.
This^^ My brother didn't go to college but he is a highly skilled custom painter and body man. He has almost 30 years of experience. He clears 125K a year. I have a four year degree and will probably pull 75k this year granted I don't work in the field I studied in. I take into account I also have sick benefits(35k package), 20 year retirement, life insurance, unlimited ammo/range time, and I get to hammer bad guys. I will start making money when In retire lol.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You should always have a skill to fall back on if something happens in your office job.

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

This^^ My brother didn't go to college but he is a highly skilled custom painter and body man. He has almost 30 years of experience. He clears 125K a year. I have a four year degree and will probably pull 75k this year granted I don't work in the field I studied in. I take into account I also have sick benefits(35k package), 20 year retirement, life insurance, unlimited ammo/range time, and I get to hammer bad guys. I will start making money when In retire lol.
See IT is the only skill I have. It's all I have ever done professionally. The only thing I know anything about outside of that is firearms and I like to study criminal law in my spare time. Plus I hate being chained to a desk all day. I like having the freedom to move around if I need to. That's why law enforcement has been something I have given a lot of thought about in the past couple of years but I honestly don't even know how to go about getting started.

·
PSN alphadong11
28,934 Posts
Has anyone tried flexjobs.com? Seems to be a lot of tech support that work from home.

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

**** I might sign up this weekend and take their aptitude test this weekend.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
See IT is the only skill I have. It's all I have ever done professionally. The only thing I know anything about outside of that is firearms and I like to study criminal law in my spare time. Plus I hate being chained to a desk all day. I like having the freedom to move around if I need to. That's why law enforcement has been something I have given a lot of thought about in the past couple of years but I honestly don't even know how to go about getting started.
Law Enforcement is a fun job, and you do bond with the guys you work with, especially the guys you work the street with.

If you are interested I would suggest doing a few ride a longs with your local PD. They should have a program. Make sure you are physically ready for the agility tests. This is huge, practice the test a lot. Don't leave this until the last minute. I have seen it too many times, guys coming to test for our PD and miserably failing the agility test. I mean grown men crying as we have to walk them out and tell them they can't continue with that process. Don't do that to yourself. Some guys take the failure as a kick in the ass and come back and succeed, but that failure is always remembered and it is a sign of not being prepared.

Once you can knock the agility tests out without ANY issue, start sending out resumes and taking testing processes. Normally there is a written test but it should be no issue, just an aptitude test. You will also have to do an oral board interview. You can research the types of questions they will ask, or I can give you some examples. Go in clean shaven, with a suit on

It may take several attempts to get a job offer and many testings, you just have to keep plugging along. Once you get a conditional offer of employment, pass a polygraph, psychological test, medical, the rest of it is gravy.

Let me know if you have any questions at all.

·
Run What You Brung
706 Posts
Adamsville, AL huh? (same here) Howdy Neighbor

My wife recently graduated with her BS in IT and CS (information technologies and cyber securities) and now works for childrens hospital. She had a job working on the help desk for Infinity Insurance and worked there while she went to school, she got a ton of contract job offers that she didn't want to take due to our need for medical benefits (my son has CF) maybe she can recommend a few sites to check into. I'll ask her when I get home this evening.

I can say that it took her a while to find the right job with benefits due in large part to the amount of contract positions out there. I second the guys suggesting a skilled trade. You're young and there is no time like now to start something new. Skilled tradesmen are sorely needed these days.

·
Administrator
33,193 Posts
i agree with the dudes recommending a skilled trade. plumber, electrician, welder, etc. demand keeps going up and supply keeps going down. quite the opposite of jobs that just require degrees.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Adamsville, AL huh? (same here) Howdy Neighbor

My wife recently graduated with her BS in IT and CS (information technologies and cyber securities) and now works for childrens hospital. She had a job working on the help desk for Infinity Insurance and worked there while she went to school, she got a ton of contract job offers that she didn't want to take due to our need for medical benefits (my son has CF) maybe she can recommend a few sites to check into. I'll ask her when I get home this evening.

I can say that it took her a while to find the right job with benefits due in large part to the amount of contract positions out there. I second the guys suggesting a skilled trade. You're young and there is no time like now to start something new. Skilled tradesmen are sorely needed these days.
Thank you. Any help would be appreciated at this point. I'd say about 80% of the jobs in birmingham for IT are contract jobs and I've done a lot of them but i'm in a position where I need medical. I don't have an IT degree though so that sets me back quite a bit but I'm working on getting one. I figure even if I decided to go to another field a bachelors degree in IT won't hurt anything.

I've thought about skilled trade. Really wanted to be an aircraft mechanic for a while. I love aviation but the aviation field is even more volatile than IT. Something to think about though. Never hurts to have more than 1 skill

·
Registered
431 Posts
Congrats on the kid .
Just take the experience you had learn from it on how to improve yourself and don't let it stress you . Sounds like they are just bottom line # pushers and don't care about quality just quantity .
I would say though that if you knew of a situation for example the call's bypassing you or not getting directed to you , I would have gone out of my way to make sure those calls got to me . Sent email reminders talked to the bosses etc .

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Congrats on the kid .
Just take the experience you had learn from it on how to improve yourself and don't let it stress you . Sounds like they are just bottom line # pushers and don't care about quality just quantity .
I would say though that if you knew of a situation for example the call's bypassing you or not getting directed to you , I would have gone out of my way to make sure those calls got to me . Sent email reminders talked to the bosses etc .
See that's the crazy thing. I did! Told the guy who was getting them to send them back to me if he got them and our boss that it was happening. There were only 3 of us. I honestly don't know what they were wanting. I don't know that they knew exactly what they were wanting.

·
Registered
431 Posts
See that's the crazy thing. I did! Told the guy who was getting them to send them back to me if he got them and our boss that it was happening. There were only 3 of us. I honestly don't know what they were wanting. I don't know that they knew exactly what they were wanting.
Some people are impossible to satisfy they have their own motives and agenda and don't truly explain any of this to anyone very well. I've worked for these type of people and it was never a pleasure .
But one thing I can say from going into the military and during basic training especially you deal with this type of crap all the time . You get very little info on what your expected to do and are left to fend for yourself and sometimes you screw it up. Long story short is you have to figure out how to adapt to these type of situations and problem solve in some scenarios it is impossible . I dont know the entire situation so I cannot suggest or imply any thing in regards to how you could have done better or if you even could have. Sounds like the boss was just a prick and you get those type of people .

·
Anna
280 Posts
I've been told it happens when two people wash their clothes together...

+1 to skilled labor, I'm halfway through my IBEW apprenticeship. College degrees are a dime a dozen these days. Not a lot of people can or are willing to work with their hands.
I'm with you guys, union plumber here 120k-125k a year company truck don't pay for gas great work hours, medical and so on.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I had an interview last week to work at an small county airport fueling planes and doing general work in the FBO. It's only $12.50 an hour but state benefits and plenty of overtime. I've done the kind of work before and enjoy it and if nothing else it will be a break from IT work.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
If you like free time, don't take that job. Plus jet fuel is very hazardous to pregnant women and it will get soaked into your clothes. You don't want to bring that **** home.
I did this job before when my wife was pregnant. She required me to take a shower as soon as I got home. She hated the smell of jet A. I'll do my own cloths too so it's not really an issue.

As far as the work itself I don't mind. I love aircraft and enjoy that kind of work even when it's 120 degrees outside.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I do the same ****, just on the military side.

protip: adding a can of coke to the wash is very good at getting the smell of JetA and hydraulic fluid out of your clothes.
I'll keep that in mind. Coke is some serious ****. Don't know why I drink it

21 - 40 of 53 Posts