Modded Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Smokin' Hot Blonde
774 Posts
I would make a comment to the remarks of "ooh sexy" but I will refrain because you neglected to acknowledge my well-thought-out post in your other thread. Hermph :p

·
Registered
987 Posts
you keepin the turbo stock, or will that be changed soon as well? you gonna do any internals changes?
Usually people swap the turbo but leave the internals alone. The rods and pistons are forged and the crank is a pretty heavy duty unit, the general consensus is 400whp is the limit on the stock internals. The Holset HX35 unit is the most popular swap for unmodified bottom ends and the HX40 is more popular with the guys making serious power on built bottom ends.

My personal choice would be to build around a Garret T3/T4 50-trim, leave the bottom end alone, undecided on tuner, Boport stage 3 iron head and stage 3 cam, Turbo Bob's header and ported intakes (maybe a Boport pulse header if I win the lottery), and that would easily hit 400hp with the supporting mods, but the powerband would be pretty high on that setup (3500rpm and up but the Boport header would really help spool time).

The stock turbo can see 22psi with basic fuel upgrades so we shall see. Some of the SVO internals are forged already. If I end up hurting the motor I will of course rebuild it as strong as possible.
For not though I will leave the bottom end alone.
You will probably be happier running ~16psi on a Garret T3/T4 50-trim or Holset HX35 than 22psi on the stock T3. But if you start kicking the boost to that point you will really want to port out the head and switch the cam, not really a heavy breathing engine from the factory.

err.. I mean it is just a lil 4 cyl car.
Don't say that, your 4-cylinder car is easily capable of embarassing most 5.0 foxes and even the 4.6L cars for half the cost of their mods. The Lima turbo is one of the best 4-cylinder turbo motors to build up, it can be powerful for cheap and is bulletproof as long as you don't do anything stupid with the mods.

I have the 2.3T out of an '88 T-Bird TC in a '90 Ford Ranger 2WD long bed (runnig 13psi right now on a stock motor), that little turbo 4-banger goes a long way when your vehicle weighs 2700lbs (a new Mini Cooper S weighs 2670lbs).

If you want one of the most informative sites on the 2.3T check out this one:
The original Merkur Encyclopedia: The most complete source of Merkur technical on the WEB

Also make sure to check out 40Bob.com - 2.3T headers, ported and gutted intakes, and accessories. and Boport Racing Heads (Powered by CubeCart) as they have some excellent go fast goodies.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Enzo... the last quote from doc was just a joke... we all know very well what a SVO is capable of

:lol
Oh my bad, long day at work and I'm still here.:(

·
Registered
987 Posts
I really can't wait to get this Ranger off the ground. Even at 13psi it's pretty damn quick, but I can feel this thing could be so much faster!

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yea, the last part was a joke. I have already embarrassed a few cars including foxes and 4.6's. lol I am keeping the stock turbo for now and seeing what I can do with it. If (once) I lift the head, I will be tearing into the lower and upper end. I just want to see what I can do with a bolt on car first. I have a spare Turbo block if a rod happens to make it down instead of up. lol

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
bump.. got my mufflers in today. The rest of the FMIC comes on Wednesday, and the tail pipes and the rest of everything else comes this Friday.

:D

Ordered an intake as well while I was at it. Might as well finish the intake and exhaust up completely. Still need to order the header.. then the intake and exhaust are done.

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
You're a truck driver zip. Tell him to hurry up with that crappy electric clutch and get here.

I can't bolt up the exhaust until I get it all in. :lol

21 - 40 of 48 Posts