Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took the family out for a bite to eat this weekend in the vert.
She is running fine,but when we got ready to leave , turned the key & just hear this loud winning sound.
I replace the starter & flywheel earlier in the summer.
I'm thinking maybe another bad starter.
What do you guys think ? :(

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
forgot to add , I had it towed back to the mechanic this morning that installed the new starter this summer.
Flywheel is new, present starter is a rebuilt from auto zone.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would say that the starter isnt engaging the flywheel. It is spinning but it isnt coming into contact with the flywheel. Take off the starter maybe and check it or spray some WD40 onto the gear. Ive had problems like this, not with my mustang but with the starter on my lawnmower. Just a suggestion, not positive if it will work.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would say that the starter isnt engaging the flywheel. It is spinning but it isnt coming into contact with the flywheel. Take off the starter maybe and check it or spray some WD40 onto the gear. Ive had problems like this, not with my mustang but with the starter on my lawnmower. Just a suggestion, not positive if it will work.
I was kind of thinking the same thing , it was towed to the mechanic this morning, I tried to crank it last night & still heard the spinning & whinnig.
Thought it was best to let them have a look at it, i believe the starter is under a lifetime warrenty.
i will keep you guys posted on the outcome. :cool:

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
the starter drive isnt engaging, you can buy the drive(at least we did on my dads f150) and replace, or just take the starter back in under warrenty

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
What these guys said. My old autozone one did that. Had it replaced with a Ford unit and couldn't be happier

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update guys ,picked up the car last night ,back on the road.
The mechanic was gone, so I'm not sure what he done.
The counter guy said he forgot to tell him too before he left.
I will call this morning, it was free of charge, I'm guessig now the starter was faulty. [ autozone rebuilt ]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts