Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hows it goin i havent posted in a while due to the fact that i crashed my fox after owning it for 9 days but regardless im that much smarter and safer now and needa new fox. a guy is trying to sell me his 1990 hatchback LX 5.0 5spd for $1500. he's the original owner and everything is stock except for exhaust. 140k miles on it. thats all fine and dandy but the cons are that it needs a new thermostat, the driver side door wont open from the outside, needsa new battery, and its been sitting for ~3yrs. i have yet to go see it but want to know if its even worth checking out. what do you guys think?

i know im going to have to hange all the fluids, get new tires, and replace A Lot of rubber but lets assume it been sitting on a driveway for 3 years. what else do i have to check for? how much would it cost to replace most rubber components that may be worn?

thanks

·
The Big Spoon
3,214 Posts
if that is all that is wrong with it I would say that is is definately a good deal.

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
gonna need new tires, a fuel stabilizer and fresh gas........

god the list goes on.... prolly a can of raid.....

·
Registered
659 Posts
yeah make sure it runs and if it does that would eliminate a lot. Not only would you need new weatherstripping and such but check the hoses and make sure they arent cracked to heck. The door think is an easy fix LRS has the parts u need pretty cheap.

·
In over my head
1,116 Posts
I picked up basically the same deal with my fox. First owner, 85k miles, sitting for years. I did verify it ran first but got ownership as quickly as I could. Ironically my driver door wouldn't open and the tstat was shot too! Both easy fixes, I put a 180* in, piece of cake. The door isn't difficult, LRS had my parts. A lot of people said I should start replacing all sorts of stuff like rad hoses and weather stripping, but I did a good tune up (seafoamed everything) and have been happily driving it since. I keep a good eye on all my hoses but have yet to need to replace anything. Don't go overboard, get it running, take it easy and just see what needs work.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
Why would rubber parts need replacing from it sitting? Check it out first. From your logic, a 20k original car would need everything replaced on it, which it doesn't. Just get it, look it over and have fun with it. Replace what is obviously in bad shape and do the rest as they need it. I have a 50k original mile car that sat for years inside, then past 4 years outside. All seals are fine, doors shut like new, but one of the lock solenoids is shot, and the power window switches on the driver's side both looked like new, but I had to replace them both to get the windows working.
Look it over, try everything, make sure you drain the tank and put fresh fuel in it. Injectors can stick, tapping them can make them free up sometimes. The price is def right if it's not a rust bucket.

·
The Big Spoon
3,214 Posts
hows it goin i havent posted in a while due to the fact that i crashed my fox after owning it for 9 days but regardless im that much smarter and safer now and needa new fox. a guy is trying to sell me his 1990 hatchback LX 5.0 5spd for $1500. he's the original owner and everything is stock except for exhaust. 140k miles on it. thats all fine and dandy but the cons are that it needs a new thermostat, the driver side door wont open from the outside, needsa new battery, and its been sitting for ~3yrs. i have yet to go see it but want to know if its even worth checking out. what do you guys think?

i know im going to have to hange all the fluids, get new tires, and replace A Lot of rubber but lets assume it been sitting on a driveway for 3 years. what else do i have to check for? how much would it cost to replace most rubber components that may be worn?

thanks
post pics when you get it! we are very visually stimulated here at mm:eek:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the owner wasnt available today but he gave me the address to his place so that i could check it out a bit...determine if it was worth bringing a new batter for to test drive and what not. i wasnt able to get in or start the car but snapped a few pix of the exterior. i also snapped a few pix of the interior through the window but those pix arent very good.

broken headlamp housing

theres a gap at the top of the door between it and the frame. everything besides that is flush so maybe its missing weather stripping i couldnt put my finger on it...

and a few crappy pix i tried to take of the interior...

·
The Big Spoon
3,214 Posts
dude for $1500 i say get it if it runs
agreed. that thing is pretty clean. the stuff you took pics off (missing black paint and busted light assy) is easy to fix.

buy it now or regret it later. i got mine for 1k w a busted tranny and rough paint. people were offering the guy more and he stuck to the deal he made w me.

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
Go for it. I had a camaro I bought out of a field-- 88 iroc. Just drained all the fluids, cleaned some things, replaced plugs, etc and started. Needed paint but it went for several thousand miles. Good luck with it

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
^ what these guys said.... I would pick that thing up body and paint dont look half bad either and interior seemed pretty decent minus a few minor things

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright so im taking your advice and buying the lx. we settled on 1300 flat so im gonna take a battery over there this weekend, start her up, and give it a test drive. if all goes well i'll be a proud owner of a fox once again :cool:

its been sitting for 3 years...is it safe to put some air in the tires and carefully drive home?

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
If the tires aren't dry rotted, they're fine. Look before you pass judgement, there is no over all end all statement just because car has sat. Use your eyes and your best judgement and don't waste money on stuff that doesn't need replaced. You're getting a great deal and a nice looking car. Just needs some cosmetic details.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
for those of you who have had to fix the door not opening from the outside...what part exactly needed replacing?

how much do you think itll cost to register after 3 years?

it has an o/r h-pipe exhaust so i dont think it has cats...is finding someone to pass me for smog under the table the easiest way to go about this?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Man that looks nice for 1300, I would be all over it!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
for those of you who have had to fix the door not opening from the outside...what part exactly needed replacing?

how much do you think itll cost to register after 3 years?

it has an o/r h-pipe exhaust so i dont think it has cats...is finding someone to pass me for smog under the table the easiest way to go about this?
Does the Door handle just lift all the way and nothing happens? Could be what happened to mine, you will have to buy a new door handle, assuming we had the same issue the door handle has a little bar that runs along the inside of the door and the handle itself has a whole where it slides into so when you lift the door handle that little bar is pushed down and releases the latch on the door. Being that that piece is only made of plastic, sometimes the small piece on the handle breaks, a new door handle should fix the issue.

But before you buy anything i would recommend taking off the inner door panel and get a flashlight so you can see whats really going on. If you can see the little bar running vertically along the inside of the door not connected to anything, then grab it and push down on it and see if your door opens. Then you know thats the problem. Hopefully that helps at least some!

This is assuming we have the same issue. But if so i would not recommend riding in the car with a buddy at 70 MPH and have him role down the window all the way. On my car the bar flipped to resting on the inside door panel and when my friend when to role down the window the pressure from the window rolling down on top of that bar opened the door while we were on the highway! lol Trust me you dont want that to happen. :p

·
Registered
289 Posts
Up here in the salt and rust belt, that would be a keeper, all the other things considered would be minor.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
and a few crappy pix i tried to take of the interior...
what the hell ?:confused: looks like he missed the ash tray lol. looks like he just put them out on the center console:eek:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts