Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
"out of order"
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went outside to smoke a cigg and walked around my car looking it over and i seen this....anyone know why its doing this? only on 1 rim all the there ones are perfect..
must say im pretty pissed..lol

·
Gas.Clutch.Shift.Repeat.
1,674 Posts
I've heard of chipping on the AFS wheels.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
The clear coat is delaminating from the base color. Fairly common. Sucks.

·
MM's Slowest Member :(
1,525 Posts
They black chrome? My black chrome Cobra R's did that exact same ****. Started flaking/chipping everywhere. They were covered under the 1 year warranty though.

·
ZYZZ Brah
3,630 Posts
damn. you'd prolly be better off buying a new set and selling those. if one started peeling the rest are probably soon to follow. get a new set from AM or someone who will honor a warranty on them.

·
1,525 Posts
I'll bet money they will all start peeling within the next few months. I had flaking/peeling on all four of mine after owning them for 10 months. Some wheels were worse then others but none the less it was on all of them. Apparently they don't have black chroming down to a perfect science just like hypercoating. You can get different shades and it doesn't seem to adhere very well..obviously.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
De-lam isnt' the end of the world. Strip the paint with a chemical stripper available from any automotive paint supplier or the Eastwood Company then re-base and clear over them. A full days work but fixed for $50 and they look new again. Of course it won't last forever either doing the backyard/rattlecan method.

·
Watch n learn
876 Posts
I doubt that's from a cleaner, its peeling clearcoat, pretty common stuff. Looks like clack chrome to me, you could probably strip the rest off and have it re-cleared. Or see if he still has his bill or e-mail and have him contact AM about it, they're good with warranty stuff. Even if its not covered I bet a new wheel is under $100.
FWIW my black chrome Saleens from AM were perfect after over a year when I sold them, but the car was always clean and in a garage.

·
1,525 Posts
It's not the clearcoat peeling. It's the entire chrome and everything, you can see were the chrome stops and the black substrate layer underneath starts. Also, I fought with the company I bought my wheels from cause they thought I had used some type of cleaner. I had to ship all 4 wheels to their factory in China (of course) to have them tested for cleaner before they would honor my warranty. Of course they paied for the shipping aswell lol.

·
1,525 Posts

Here is a picture of my Cobra R's with the wheels taken off. You can see underneath it's just black just like the stuff that is showing through in the original post, it's not just the clear coat.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I would take them and have them acid dipped and powder coated
or your new winter wheels that sucks! Guess i will rethink FR500's

1 - 20 of 41 Posts