Modded Mustang Forums banner

Frame

782 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Sdickinson64 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I may be the first one to talk about this with this specific car, but this summer I plan to fabricate many things for my car with my dad's help. Now one of which is going to be tied into the front and rear suspension, but what do you all think about making a frame built into one of these cars?

I plan to have a front, rear, and center clip just like a race car with a roll cage and all as well. It will use a short-long-arm configuration at the front, and a 3-link with panhard bar in the rear. All custom coil-over mounts to use road racing shocks. I plan to get rid of alot of the unibody as well, because a unibody is basically one of the new versions of a frame, so to have both will not look as good, but also be much much heavier. I might actually get rid of the entire front of the uni-body and instead mount the mody panels to the frame instead. At first it will start simple with the removal of as much of the unibody as possible without having to build everything at once, and just get the 2x4 frame rails attached to the suspension, new fabricated K-member, and new rear suspension design.

This is not near a completed list of things to do, but I just wanted to get anyone's opinion on this matter. Thank you.

#4 ·
This sounds pretty interesting. There's two routes you could go:

1.) Using relatively light frame materials bolster the unibody into a frame in it's own respect. Basically extreme reinforcement.

2.) Fab up a frame attached to the unibody, then cut out any unibody you don't need. Basically the original unibody acts as a giant welding jig for your frame, making sure everything is true and square.

Either way I bet this will be a lot of work, and will require extensive computation to maintain torsional and flexural rigidity with minimal weight.

#5 ·
This sounds pretty interesting. There's two routes you could go:

1.) Using relatively light frame materials bolster the unibody into a frame in it's own respect. Basically extreme reinforcement.

2.) Fab up a frame attached to the unibody, then cut out any unibody you don't need. Basically the original unibody acts as a giant welding jig for your frame, making sure everything is true and square.

Either way I bet this will be a lot of work, and will require extensive computation to maintain torsional and flexural rigidity with minimal weight.
That's a good idea I didn't think about. I could basically build a frame, cut away the front and rear portions, attach and lighten the center portion to the frame, and build all the mounts to mount the front and rear ends on the car. this is actually a really good idea that is the best way. :D

#6 ·
you could always do like i did to my tempo, cut out the section of the floor that is between the unibody and install 3x3 tubing in them and weld them up, almos like an in floor sfc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.