Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys was told it might be a Vaccum leak ok well today I tryed to find it and nothing I let her run and I sprayed Carb Cleaner on the gaskets and hoses trying to find the leak and well nothing...

I am completely lost please help guys about to take it to a shop afraid to know how much they'll charge though

·
Registered
685 Posts
Is it surging? Mine did that and it turned out to be timing.

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont think so here are the symptons

Start her up idle at 3k non-stop the car pulls me down the road, it idles like that all day so I turn her off at stop lights cant handle the idle

But when I make a hard right (dont know about left) turn it will cut the idle a little but then goes right back...

and sometimes at random time it stalls like on its face

or sometimes it like hesitates when I'm just driving or get on it like a miss but just put new plugs in it, the wires are good...

·
Registered
569 Posts
dont understand the turning deal, itd have to be a massive vac leak...check your timing like jam said

·
Registered
569 Posts
also did you back your idle screw out?

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dont understand the turning deal, itd have to be a massive vac leak...check your timing like jam said
well I didnt find any air leaks dangit ok so how do I check my timing could someone walk me threw it? or should I just take it to the shop =(

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
have you tried adjusting the idle screw at all to help with the fact that it idles at 3k?
well kind of I turned it right to tighten to lower the idle (is that correct) and it didnt do anything at all so I might want to try that (dang if thats it im going to smack myself in the head)

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
have you checked your gas pedal and throttle cable.. you don't have anything resting on the pedal do you? maybe your throttle cable is stuck? just some easy things to rule out before you start looking elsewhere.

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
have you checked your gas pedal and throttle cable.. you don't have anything resting on the pedal do you? maybe your throttle cable is stuck? just some easy things to rule out before you start looking elsewhere.
No never thought about that I dont know exactly where it is but I'll crawl under her tomorrow and look I would figure it would be a obvious to see though

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
You will be able to see your throttle cable from under the hood, no need to get under the car. Check the pedal right at the floor and push it with your hand, make sure it moves freely and springs back all the way. Then check your throttle cable right at the TB. Make sure your throttle blade closes all the way and there is no catches in its action.

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You will be able to see your throttle cable from under the hood, no need to get under the car. Check the pedal right at the floor and push it with your hand, make sure it moves freely and springs back all the way. Then check your throttle cable right at the TB. Make sure your throttle blade closes all the way and there is no catches in its action.
O ok i feel dumb lol
Ok well I remember when I installed the TB it was shut all the way but I'll double check it and make sure

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
did this idle problem start right after you installed the TB? I remember you were having problems with the gaskets, did you get that all sorted out?

·
Registered
301 Posts
clean your salt and peppers, clean IAB, those 2 are the first things you should do. try resetting base idle as well, its always better to eliminate than to guess at whats wrong firsthand.

·
Registered
301 Posts
BTW, 3k sounds like ur IAB is stuck open.

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
did this idle problem start right after you installed the TB? I remember you were having problems with the gaskets, did you get that all sorted out?
it started before and yes I got that situated lol thankfully

the IAB = ?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Idle air bypass. its the thing thats bolted to the side of ur TB =) unbolt it, unplug it, and soak that thing in carb spray. brown liquids will come out. specially if u have a K&N filter .

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Idle air bypass. its the thing thats bolted to the side of ur TB =) unbolt it, unplug it, and soak that thing in carb spray. brown liquids will come out. specially if u have a K&N filter .
o i thought that was the AIC air idle controll and i just did that tonight maybe it'll solve the prob be nice

P.S. whats the thing ontop of the TB the black thing that goes over a small straight thing?

·
Registered
301 Posts
thats ur TPS = throttle positioning sensor. BTW the IAB can be called anything with the combination of the words

Air .
Idle.
Control.
Bypass.

=) IAB, IAC, AIC, AIB any of those work. does the same thing. little solenoid that lets air in your intake. lol.

Reactions: Till
1 - 20 of 30 Posts