Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of you guys that dont want to spend 150-200 bucks on a short throw shifter here is a mod that is free but actually works... i had to surrender my upr blue thunder shifter and put a stock one back on it... well i got to thinking and i was like man.. that is a lot of rubber

If you will notice right above this at the bottom of the shifter handle is a metal place with rubber all inside it... all you have to do is
1. Get the shifter handle out of that little metal cage and get all the rubber off of it..
2. Get something that will barely fit inside the holes on the shifter. I used a washer that would barely fit but still be tight around the bolt to stop slip..
3. Find 2 shorter bolts that are the same size as stock shifter bolts..
4. Then bolt them back up... This will make a world of difference in how solid the handle is.. I was really surprise how well it shifted after i did that.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Can you give a more detailed explanation?

·
Noob Slayer
2,447 Posts
Can you give a more detailed explanation?
+1 for those of us who have never taken apart our shifter. maybe with a few more pictures and steps it could become a sticky.

·
Resident Bubblehead
6,190 Posts
i'm not sure if i'm reading this right. did you take out the rubber insert on the end of the handle and then bolt it to the shifter base with shorter bolts? is that all you did? if so, you didn't make a Short Throw Shifter. all you did was make the handle a little firmer. the length of the throw is still the same=> not a short shifter...

·
Registered
975 Posts
Not a good idea. The rubber is there to keep you from appilying to much force and mess up the syncro. Just like on an aftermarket shifter with the shift stops. I removed mine and put it back because I kept missing/grinding second.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
now that he posted this, some kid with his new car is going to do this and **** there car up, people shouldnt post tips on stuff that will mess your car up

·
Registered
994 Posts
Not a good idea. The rubber is there to keep you from appilying to much force and mess up the syncro. Just like on an aftermarket shifter with the shift stops. I removed mine and put it back because I kept missing/grinding second.
wrong rubber piece he is talking about the rubber peice on the shift handle, that rubber piece is there to keep away vibrations in the handle

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i never said it makes it a short shifter... and if you are worried about a synchro then you shouldnt be bangin gears anyways.. it only helps by making the shift firmer... maybe i just got a little better at driving and can hit gears fine witha stock shifter now because i know before that i couldnt... i can speed shift with this stock shifter fine now.... no it wont mess your car up by takin the little rubber piece out of the stock handle because the shifter goes just as far with that piece in there. if your banging gears either way its rough on the trans. but you are less likely to miss gears with a solid handle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts