Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I need one and I'm not about to pay a million dollars for one. Who's got one that they can loan out for a while?

Somewhat unrelated, I was really beating myself up about posting this in a tech section since it's not tech at all. I can't think of anyone else that would have this tool other than 05-10ers and the classifieds won't get traffic from the right people so I justified it being here. Mods, move if you wish.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
probably is the best place for it. i used to have one, but my 3V kit got stolen along with many other things from my garage last year. wasn't in immediate need for it so i never bought another one. thinking about getting it anyway soon though

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Don't worry Drew, this is the right place for it. We aren't trying to become like other forums and move EVERYTHING under the sun that isn't deemed as "tech enough".

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
*just my .02* I like the guys at Freedom Racing. They seriously hooked my up before... I'm guessing you tried the "other" forums... The ones we can't mention?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I initially paid for the tool from FT&D, however, they refunded me something like 80% when I returned it. They're good people. Was on the phone with them at 9pm one night trying to figure out how to get to the one around the firewall on the driver side.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
I initially paid for the tool from FT&D, however, they refunded me something like 80% when I returned it. They're good people. Was on the phone with them at 9pm one night trying to figure out how to get to the one around the firewall on the driver side.
Modify it.... :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
I modified mine so that the "foot" that sits on the head doesn't block the spark plug hole, that way I could screw a fitting in that hooked up to my compressor, so I could put a 100 psi into it, to allow for a valve spring swap.. I cut the foot off of mine and made a small chunk of wood to repalce it, that way it didn't mar the head, and it allowed it to slide in alot nicer.. No issues with mine trying to get at any cyc..

·
cammed, geared, and blown
1,919 Posts
pics?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I modified mine so that the "foot" that sits on the head doesn't block the spark plug hole, that way I could screw a fitting in that hooked up to my compressor, so I could put a 100 psi into it, to allow for a valve spring swap.. I cut the foot off of mine and made a small chunk of wood to repalce it, that way it didn't mar the head, and it allowed it to slide in alot nicer.. No issues with mine trying to get at any cyc..
You had something funky going on then. The feet go right around the spark plug hole and I just use a rag to protect the head surface. There should be no need to modify it like that. This is the tool everyone uses for the spring swaps. It even comes with a second foot specifically for that.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Well, I don't think I had anything "funky" going on, I did make my own spark plug compressor deal, but I made it .750 dia, the same as a compression test extension. Mine slightly covered the spark plug hole, enough that the compression tool wouldn't fit, if you look at the ford tool, which I hear doesn't have enough stones to compress the springs, it has feet that are wider to go around the spark plug hole.

I changed out 24 valve springs, on a weekday night, just taking my time. I know the tool worked better, because I had to use it in its "stock" state to get the number 8 cyc cam follower off, it went it, but it sucked. When I went to do the springs, I saw it wouldnt' work, and did what I needed too. It worked slick then. Faster in and out, no issues getting on to the number 8 cyc.

I had to make my own spark plug compression tool up because on my 08, it has 12mm threads. and I couldn't find a compression fitting with long enough threads on it, the only ones I could find would only engage about one thread. So I turned my own up..

Im telling you that mine wouldnt' of worked for SWAPPING springs.. yours might have been just fine for doing only cam's, but I think you would have had issues with the spings, only way you could have gotten a compression tester in that hole was if you used a hose, then you would proly sneak past it.. but a soild extionsion wouldn't of worked..

Im not trying to be a dick here, but I do know what worked and what didn't.

Ill get some pics for ya, but they wont be of the tool on the head, cars all back together..

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Oh, and you don't need to use that plate that holds the "shoe" on. Your shoes have a indent in the back of them, that the set screw centers on.. With the plate off, it makes it alot easier to slide the shoe in and out of the tool..

JMO!!!!!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
eleanor08,

I certainly didn't think you were being a dick and I definitely didn't mean to come across that way either. In the interest of full disclosure I do work for Freedom Racing Tool & Die but I certainly don't represent Freedom Racing on this forum and I did not design the compressor.

My personal use of the tools was on NSR cams, yes. However, I can tell you that hundreds have used the compressor to swap springs and no one else has had this issue, or at least not that we're aware of. I think the issue likely lies in the fact you were using a solid extension versus a hose. The solid extension being the "something funky".

I'm glad you were able to make the tool work for your needs but I certainly want it known that it is not required to swap springs if you can find a proper hose adapter.

Again, I don't represent FR on here, I'm speaking from my personal use of the compressor and for my many friends who have used it.

Oh, and I think you voided your lifetime tool warranty :D

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
eleanor08,

I certainly didn't think you were being a dick and I definitely didn't mean to come across that way either. In the interest of full disclosure I do work for Freedom Racing Tool & Die but I certainly don't represent Freedom Racing on this forum and I did not design the compressor.

My personal use of the tools was on NSR cams, yes. However, I can tell you that hundreds have used the compressor to swap springs and no one else has had this issue, or at least not that we're aware of. I think the issue likely lies in the fact you were using a solid extension versus a hose. The solid extension being the "something funky".

I'm glad you were able to make the tool work for your needs but I certainly want it known that it is not required to swap springs if you can find a proper hose adapter.

Again, I don't represent FR on here, I'm speaking from my personal use of the compressor and for my many friends who have used it.

Oh, and I think you voided your lifetime tool warranty :D
LOL, I had a feeling that you might be assoicated with Freedom!

And your right, if you where using a hose style extension it wouldn't of been an issue. I did buy two different compression testers in the hopes of geting something to work. When I couldn't get what I needed, I being a machinist, just when and made my own, the way I wanted it. So, it would have worked just fine if you where using a hose, I wasn't.

The tool did work great, I will say that it was very easy to use, and it was nice haveing the set screw to lock it down, that worked awesome for getting the little spring retaining wedges back in.

I did like that fact that I did not have a steel tool sitting on my head, I liked the wood (no homo) ;). Before I cut the tool up, I was using some duct tape layers to protect the head.

What I was trying to say, is that since I chopped my tool up to suit my needs, one of the side effects and a bouns was that it did seam to make it eaiser to get into a few areas, only because it was no longer a once peice tool.

I can understand where your coming from and your support for Freedom Tool. It is a great tool, and if I had to do it all over again, I would buy another one. I think its great that you support your company and there products with passion!

On a side note, being that your in the tool bussiness, do you know of anyone who makes an extended fitting for a compression tool? The ones I bought had different brass fittings for different thread sizes, but the threads where so short, I could only engage a thread or so. I know there are adapters out there for the mid 08 4.6 and back, but I couldn't find one for the 12mm threaded heads. Thus the reason I made my own. If there aren't anyone making these, maybe they could be your next product?

I will take some pics of what I did, you can pass them around the shop and have a laugh, plus Ill take some pics of the tool I made, and maybe your R and D department can take a look at it.. Tell them you want a raise if it goes!!!

And I think your right, I hosed my warranty! LOL

No hard feelings, just two guys who are passionate about our stangs!!:drink

·
Registered
82 Posts
LOL, I had a feeling that you might be assoicated with Freedom!

And your right, if you where using a hose style extension it wouldn't of been an issue. I did buy two different compression testers in the hopes of geting something to work. When I couldn't get what I needed, I being a machinist, just when and made my own, the way I wanted it. So, it would have worked just fine if you where using a hose, I wasn't.

The tool did work great, I will say that it was very easy to use, and it was nice haveing the set screw to lock it down, that worked awesome for getting the little spring retaining wedges back in.

I did like that fact that I did not have a steel tool sitting on my head, I liked the wood (no homo) ;). Before I cut the tool up, I was using some duct tape layers to protect the head.

What I was trying to say, is that since I chopped my tool up to suit my needs, one of the side effects and a bouns was that it did seam to make it eaiser to get into a few areas, only because it was no longer a once peice tool.

I can understand where your coming from and your support for Freedom Tool. It is a great tool, and if I had to do it all over again, I would buy another one. I think its great that you support your company and there products with passion!

On a side note, being that your in the tool bussiness, do you know of anyone who makes an extended fitting for a compression tool? The ones I bought had different brass fittings for different thread sizes, but the threads where so short, I could only engage a thread or so. I know there are adapters out there for the mid 08 4.6 and back, but I couldn't find one for the 12mm threaded heads. Thus the reason I made my own. If there aren't anyone making these, maybe they could be your next product?

I will take some pics of what I did, you can pass them around the shop and have a laugh, plus Ill take some pics of the tool I made, and maybe your R and D department can take a look at it.. Tell them you want a raise if it goes!!!

And I think your right, I hosed my warranty! LOL

No hard feelings, just two guys who are passionate about our stangs!!:drink
First, I've heard that some of you guys north of the border do like the wood. :sorry

Yeah, send the pics over to [email protected]
You never know what kind of ideas that will spark in one of the guys. As far as the adapter, that's been on the short list of projects for months now. After my last post I sent an email asking where we were at with that.

I do hate how it is so easy to misunderstand or come across wrong in emails or internet. You can't be too bad of a guy if you drive a Stang. It's not like you drive a damn Honda or something :) Thanks for the debate and thought-provoking conversation!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts