Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can you still buy freon to charge up ACs on our cars and if so where can i get it?????

·
Registered
370 Posts
Advance or autozone. You gotta get the conversion kit. It's about $30-40 for R-134a and the whole kit to convert it and refill it

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its only 30 or 40 bucks.....i thot you had to change out all the lines and compressor to convert it legally????? what all does that kit change out???

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm almost positive you don't have to change the lines or the compressor at all. The kit comes with the converters for the lines to adapt to the new R134a freon insert tube, 3 cans of freon with oil in them and the pressure gauge with the tube. I think you are supposed to get the old R-12 removed from the system from a professional but mine didn't have much in it so i just let it out of the system by pushing the valve in. You can flush the system though, that would probably be recommended.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sweet.....i may look into that......thanx

·
Registered
81 Posts
wrong you have to retrofit your whole system that goes for lines compressor condensor evaporator freezer/dryer. its a pricy job. and no you cant just go get the r134A and stick it in your system you will have a contaminated sytem and have to pay big big money to get your system evacuated. and you cant buy R12 anymore unless you have a lisence to buy it or work on ac systems. and even if you did find some its soooooo expensive. little 12oz can goes for over 150 bucks

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
and no those little kits from autozone dont work

I used those kits on my 91 Mustang and my 87 Bronco. Both worked fine and my 91 Mustang still works fine 6 years later, the Bronco is long gone so I have no idea. It is not perfect and not as cold as it used to be but it works. If you have a leak that caused you too lose all of your original R-12, you will loose the R-134 as well so you still need to get that stuff fixed because the conversion kits do not perform magic.
There are "levels" of the conversion that you can do. Just buy the kit and go, you may be happy with the results (I was other than a small leak I have).
The other option is buy the kit, fix the leaks, flush it out with a cleaner, use a vacuum pump to clear out contaminants, old oil, and air, replace the o-rings, change the dryer, and replace with a more R134 efficient orifice or do anywhere in between those two levels. The extra money and effort will typically give you a better result. Depends on how much you want to spend.
My 88 Mustang was converted by someone else before I bought it and they put a new accumulator and hose on as well.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i guess i will look into that......yeah im not sure all the problems with my ac.....the compressor doesnt kick on with the ac switch but i know the problem is electrical because i ran some wires straight from the batery to the compressor and it kicked on....i ran it for about a minute though and it never started pumping any cold air though so i figure it needs to be charged or something...

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
81 Posts
it will disable the compressor so it doesnt lock it up. the oil in the system flows with the refrigerant when the refrigerant is gone the oil doesnt flow so it shuts the whole system down

·
Registered
569 Posts
maybe i did mine wrong but the kit worked fine for me...

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
I use PW75 A/C on my mustang. Didn't cost me nothing. It's cool enough for me as well

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Power Windows air at 75 miles per hour ;-)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts